Texas Tech (11/15/16)

CMJ

Again, a totally inept performance by the Mean Green.  

Combs is obviously not anywhere near 100%, he is the heart of this team and it is hard to see him just get dominated inside.

Can't win without some semblance of a point guard.  

I hoped against hope, that Benford could pull it together this year.  A lot of baffling coaching as usual in this game.   

Play Brice

Still haven't seen anything of the Green that Benford talks about

Understand the potential of Holston, but he gets way too many minutes 

Lawson has talent but needs a lot of coaching and some experience 

Temara showed up 

• Upvote 2

There was no energy, or any sign of talent for the first 10 minutes.  The final 10 minutes of the 2nd half may have been the worst performance I've seen since benford got the job.  Just a complete trainwreck of coaching and personnel management.  Not one sign of advancement since bama-huntsville.  

Something looks very wrong with most of the players.  Lack of speed/urgency from some, and zero motivation on their faces.  It's like nobody is having any fun, even when leading last friday.  There just isn't any chemistry and it looks like everyone was miscast.

• Upvote 6

Brice's stats looked fine for the 14 minutes he played (5 rebounds, 1 block, 3 points) and was far more significant than Holston's contribution during the same amount of time... even forced them to take a few lower % shots towards the perimeter.  He only had 2 fouls and barely touched the floor in the 2nd half.  Was there some kind of 1st half injury that I didn't notice?  If not, this just seems like another case of awful personnel management.  He's a far more imposing defensive presence than Combs currently is under the basket.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cogido said:

After the coaching change is made this year we'll have to sit back and wait through yet another rebuild. 

I wonder about that.  From what I understand, Benford has recruited great talent.  He just has no clue how to coach it.  

I don't watch basketball, and the only player I can name is Combs, so I may be entirely incorrect. 

I'll leave it to the experts to confirm or deny. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cogido said:

We , UNT, have now totally wasted another five years. After the coaching change is made this year we'll have to sit back and wait through yet another rebuild.  What a shame .

the Crazy/baffling thing about NCAA basketball, is that you can completely turn a team into a winner in one offseason, yet Benford has managed to play sub-.500 ball continually...

Now we have been stuck with Benford for so long, we have a game against TTU, who we used to beat, and can't even get a full page of comments on this board's game thread...

so sad...

Anyone want to give an update on how many days it has been since Huntsville?

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is there hope that Benford is gone before January?

Probably not. But, i would like our AD to start spending as much time as possible to get the best coach available. If that means starting now... then do it! 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 4