No Improvement...

cdizzle86

You don't have to be especially talented to beat Army and their triple offense.  You have to just be very disciplined.  The team had an extra week and obviously worked very hard to learn their system and beat them.  Since then we have run into a utsa team that won the turnover battle, and then two teams that are obviously much more talented.

I'm not sure we get to that fifth win.  USM and UTEP will both be double digit faves.  

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Fine looked poor in the Army game! Alec should of given a chance earlier! 

Me and @El Paso Eagle said this during the UTSA game and everyone said oh you guys hate fine/don't believe in fine... No we do believe in Fine but he isn't playing well and is in fluke... Bring in someone else to try and spark us or if anything give Fine a series or more to just recollect himself. But we had 5 weeks to get 2 wins to get to 6 to get to the required 6, but most likely needed 5... 

The sad thing is, if Mason is out the rest of the year and who knows how long Wilson is out(they said for sure he will miss USM) it will come down to people saying Morris couldn't do it and he gets the blame...  But been saying it for awhile and glad others are starting to see and say it as well.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

So UNT, always a year away, then another year away, then another away, ......

Truth but we can't hold Littrell and Wren accountable for this.  They will right the ship.  It's just going to take some time.  Probably 2 years minimum.  Need patience.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Truth but we can't hold Littrell and Wren accountable for this.  They will right the ship.  It's just going to take some time.  Probably 2 years minimum.  Need patience.

I think all of us here are greatly impressed with what the staff as done with getting us to 4 wins... But what I think all of us want is 5 wins.. The team has not shown any improvement and has regressed or even come back to earth after those Marshall and Army Wins... But the disappointment and frustration with a lot of us is just needing 1 win or 2 ideally to get into a bowl.. Yes we didn't think we would challenge let along win vs LAT or WKU.. but UTSA wasn't that close either. Hopefully we can get 1 win but hopefully 2 to finish out the year and build some positive signs to the off-season/recruiting and hopefully a bowl W

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Me and @El Paso Eagle said this during the UTSA game and everyone said oh you guys hate fine/don't believe in fine... No we do believe in Fine but he isn't playing well and is in fluke... Bring in someone else to try and spark us or if anything give Fine a series or more to just recollect himself. But we had 5 weeks to get 2 wins to get to 6 to get to the required 6, but most likely needed 5... 

The sad thing is, if Mason is out the rest of the year and who knows how long Wilson is out(they said for sure he will miss USM) it will come down to people saying Morris couldn't do it and he gets the blame...  But been saying it for awhile and glad others are starting to see and say it as well.. 

I had mentioned two of his long passes were completed because DBs were in position but fell with Army. He needs to learn to throw the ball away and realize he can't out run D1 guys in most cases! 38 or 40 sacks? Some of that is on him and hopefully he will learn. Pulling him in the UTSA should of happened unless you are playing him for next year which I believe is the coaches mindset. Did it seem like to anybody else that Alec stood in the pocket more and for a longer time? That is the difference of 5'10 to 6'3! GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think all of us here are greatly impressed with what the staff as done with getting us to 4 wins... But what I think all of us want is 5 wins.. The team has not shown any improvement and has regressed or even come back to earth after those Marshall and Army Wins... But the disappointment and frustration with a lot of us is just needing 1 win or 2 ideally to get into a bowl.. Yes we didn't think we would challenge let along win vs LAT or WKU.. but UTSA wasn't that close either. Hopefully we can get 1 win but hopefully 2 to finish out the year and build some positive signs to the off-season/recruiting and hopefully a bowl W

I agree that we haven't seen much improvement, especially at quarterback, but the schedule has gotten much more difficult of late while our team has gotten more injured, more scouted, and less depth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I had mentioned two of his long passes were completed because DBs were in position but fell with Army. He needs to learn to throw the ball away and realize he can't out run D1 guys in most cases! 38 or 40 sacks? Some of that is on him and hopefully he will learn. Pulling him in the UTSA should of happened unless you are playing him for next year which I believe is the coaches mindset. Did it seem like to anybody else that Alec stood in the pocket more and for a longer time? That is the difference of 5'10 to 6'3! GMG 

Pleased to say Cade Pearson is 6'2". Next year will be a better year.

• Upvote 3

To put it in a little more perspective...The Army game was amazing.   But, today, I'm in San Antonio and went to see Army vs Notre Dame.   Notre Dame has had a bad year, and they man handled Army.  Army had like 13 Passing yards all day.   They were triple option seem to fool everybody the beginning of the year, but once everyone including UNT studied tape, they just aren't THAT impressive. 

So here's my thought on Fine, and it's not that complicated.   Guys, he's young, and in high school, he was amazing.   Now he's on a fairly mediocre team, with an O-Line that can't protect him.  I really think that a lot  ofthis is mental.  Hes "Mason Fine", but he's still a true freshman that's struggling to lead a team that's not that great. So he needs some help to find a way to deal with that as well as improve physical mechanics.  It'll get better.   He's only going to be a Freshman once.  I just hope we can get him better protection.  He's balzy, but a guy his size can only get sacked so many times.  

• Upvote 3

I am not as down on Fine as many seem to be.  How quickly we forget that he did not have an incompletion in his first 15 attempts last week.  He is young and learning and willing to put in the work and will only get better.  Love his maturity and leadership.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, unt37 said:

I love littrell but i haven't been sold on Mason Fine or Graham Harrell. I think we could possibly see upgrades to these two next year.

I agree. Harrell should have come in as a WR or QB coach and SL should have brought in an experienced OC. Hopefully he learns soon or we bring in an OC with several years experience.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Fine may develop into an amazing QB but I've been questioning why Morris hasn't hit the field for any considerable playing time considering how  Fine has performed the last few weeks. He's a 5th year senior QB for Christ sakes, I refuse to believe he's that bad. But at NT, you never know.  I'm also in the camp that's questioning Harrell & his play calling. 

However, I know this team has bigger issues than just one position. Recruiting and solid coaching will correct it. 

Army isn't that good either. They might win one more game....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3

I'm still not happy with the physicality and effort being put forth by our wide receivers.  We are losing opportunities to give sparks and momentum to the offense.  Put a stop to the drops and grow a backbone when you hear footsteps. Fight for the ball. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5

I can see both sides of the argument here.  To me there's no shame losing to LA Tech and WK...they're good...really good in comparison to our conference and G5's.  The alternative to Fine is Alec Morris and we saw how he performed earlier this season and no question Fine is the best option right now IMO.  

I'm not really sold on Graham Harrell either and maybe it's b/c any interview I see of him or video of him talking/coaching to players something to me seems off but maybe it's just me.  

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Harry I respect your opinion, but why should UNT be held to a different standard than other FBS schools. Many, many coaches take over dumpster fire programs and turn them around quickly. Hopefully year two brings even more success, maybe Littrell is a victim of his own early success, few of us saw 4 wins. So call me already spoiled, but tired of hearing maybe next year. We have heard that every year since DD left, with exception of 2013.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

Harry I respect your opinion, but why should UNT be held to a different standard than other FBS schools. Many, many coaches take over dumpster fire programs and turn them around quickly. Hopefully year two brings even more success, maybe Littrell is a victim of his own early success, few of us saw 4 wins. So call me already spoiled, but tired of hearing maybe next year. We have heard that every year since DD left, with exception of 2013.

he has 68 scholarship players.  I am way to busy to do the research but I can almost guarantee half had no other D1 offer.... We may have 12-14 guys on our entire roster who had more than 5-8 offers.  This is going to take time.  The fact that we even have a chance to go bowling in year one is absolutely incredible! We got smoked by two of the top teams in CUSA.  Is that acceptable absolutely not, but when your QB is running for his life every play and there is no run game, it makes for a long day.  It only adds to that when your corners refuse to keep WR in front of them and get burned over the top consistently, again by two of the best WR in CUSA.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2