Sull Ross game

Andrew

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Horrible first half play against a no scholarship team.  

Yea not looking so great right now... funny thing is we have run an offense and just missed a ton of shots. Defensively we ran quite a bit of full court and man in the first half and still gave up 8 threes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No way to sugar coat this game.   Reminds me of Trilli's game against a non-scholarship team which NT almost lost.   Unfortunately it was viewed by Gene Stallings who NT had hired as a consultant.  He made a point of what he thought of a team struggling against that level of competition.

I am still trying to figure out which was worse, the team's play or the awful production of the game streamed by NT.   

Not a good start for Benford trying to impress his new boss.   By the way, Mr. Baker; how about a stream that you can listen to as well as watch.    

The much more important game tonight was the women losing to UALR in the first round of the pre-season NIT.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought it was funny that the one ref calling most the fouls in the game awarded Benford with a Technical. What he did wasn't even that bad. Coaches have gotten away with worse for what he got T'd up for.

Overall, not a good game to start the season. Lots of work needs to be done. FT shooting was at 61%, on par for last year. Johnson (16-16) and Temara (2-2) were the only players to shoot above 50% from the stripe. 24 Turnovers is also a big concern. Need to clean that up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

I thought it was funny that the one ref calling most the fouls in the game awarded Benford with a Technical. What he did wasn't even that bad. Coaches have gotten away with worse for what he got T'd up for.

Overall, not a good game to start the season. Lots of work needs to be done. FT shooting was at 61%, on par for last year. Johnson (16-16) and Temara (2-2) were the only players to shoot above 50% from the stripe. 24 Turnovers is also a big concern. Need to clean that up.

And last year we still were able to make free throws at home.

I think Ryan Woolridge will make a huge difference at point guard; as the team's best quarterback/facilitator. This team will struggle without the ball in a point guard's hands.  Allante Houston, at 6-7, is clearly the 3rd best option. It's really scary anytime  I see the ball in Ja Michael Brown's or Greg White-Pittman's hand. 

This team will be much better with Frazier & Woolridge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cooley said:

I think Ryan Woolridge will make a huge difference at point guard; as the team's best quarterback/facilitator. This team will struggle without the ball in a point guard's hands.  Allante Houston, at 6-7, is clearly the 3rd best option. It's really scary anytime  I see the ball in Ja Michael Brown's or Greg White-Pittman's hand. 

This team will be much better with Frazier & Woolridge. 

If Brown would slow down would you trust him at the point? He is the fastest player with the ball on our team. He started the game at point but throughout Deckie and Alante brought the ball up the court a lot. I think Brown could be a decent point if he would be more careful and aware. At times I love watching him break down his man, but then others he makes a terrible decision and turns it over.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Brown really needs to slow down. The team did as a whole to begin the game. Yes, they beat their NAIA opponent in the last season opener by 40 points or whatever and it seemed like the players were trying to score 100 points in the first half in made a lot of mistakes because of it.

According to the boxscore on Mean Green Sports, the attendance was only 1,347. I wonder how the arena counts student tickets? The past two years now, they have not swiped by student ID, I've just shown it to them and they've let me in.

55 minutes ago, wardly said:

Why are we playing a D111 team? Denton High had a conflict?

I forgot the number but if you look back at all of the past seasons just on Mean Green Sports.com you would notice that most of our home openers are against lowly D-III or NAIA teams or what have you. Even during Jones' time. Doesn't make for a good game for sure but all the athletic department wants is a for-sure win in front of the season opening crowd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Why are we playing a D111 team? Denton High had a conflict?

Not uncommon at all across the NCAA.  Texas almost lost to Incarnate Word last night.  Early season games are about trying different player combinations, trying different defenses, different offenses, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I had to miss the game so I didn't see or hear the incident. Could it be there is a new emphasis for officials this season that Benford ran afoul of some new directive to referees?

I remember that sometimes teams would struggle to adjust to new rules emphasis' in previous seasons...