DRC: UNT has bowl hopes, ace in the hole with APR score

Brett Vito

22 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC:UNT's academic prowess could come into play of the Mean Green finish with five wins 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20161109-bowl-hopes-up-in-air-as-season-dwindles.ece

23 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC:UNT's academic prowess could come into play of the Mean Green finish with five wins 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20161109-bowl-hopes-up-in-air-as-season-dwindles.ece

Great article in the DMN. " Posting a score that rivals those schools is a dramatic step forward."

Would really be sweet going to a bowl game evan at 5/7. It would be a big plus advertising our APR ranking for the university!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I hate this talk.  We have no business going to a bowl game with only 5 wins.  It was ok in '01 because of special circumstances.  But not today.

Not sure why the downvotes, as I understand why someone would want their team to pass on a bowl invite if they feel it is undeserved.  But what were the special circumstances in '01?  It was a little embarrassing then, especially considering we were the school that prompted the "6 wins to qualify" rule, but we took it.  What would make it worse now than then?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not sure why the downvotes, as I understand why someone would want their team to pass on a bowl invite if they feel it is undeserved.  But what were the special circumstances in '01?  It was a little embarrassing then, especially considering we were the school that prompted the "6 wins to qualify" rule, but we took it.  What would make it worse now than then?

We were co-conference champs

That's fine if you want to down vote. 

Last time I checked we still had 3 games left on the schedule and we have people on here already talking about a damn bowl game. You say you're a fan but you already now have the team's record at 5-7? Go look up our standings and it will show that we are still 4-5 and not 5-7. Respect is earn and not given and when you say stuff like what I'm seeing on this thread, it makes us look soft and desperate.

Get off the damn bowl projections websites because none of it's true until the regular season is over.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

13 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

NT won the bowl bid with the rules in place at the time, therefore they went to a bowl.  They had one loss in conference and beat MTSU the other co-champion.   

They deserved and won the bid.   I feel completely different about an at large bid for 5-7 record team.  I would be happy and support the team if they got a bid this year, but frankly I think the bowl game bar is ridiculously low.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

With this same mindset, we can just forget watching recruiting sites and following any kind of recruiting until NSD.

It's fun man.   Relax.  Everyone knows these are not ironclad and there is alot of room for change.   If UNT can win 1 more, we're at 5-7 and the APR score definitely comes into play.   If we can win even more than that, great!   If we can't win another game, crap!   There's only so much we can talk about during game week though.

I am relax but don't be content with just 5-7. The coaching staff and player's work hard and they want more than just 5-7.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

We were co-conference champions, and beat the other co-champions the MUTS to earn the bid.

And because it was the inaugural football season for the Sun Belt Conference, AND the inaugural season for the New Orleans Bowl, which the Sun Belt Conference Champion was directly tied to...North Texas was offered the bid the night we won conference by beating Idaho.

And the reason the bid was offered and accepted that night was because due to TV slot availability the NO Bowl was scheduled to be the first bowl game of the bowl season which was in a little over two weeks from then.  So there was absolutely no time and no way to know that we would lose the final regular season game the next week to Troy who was in their 1-AA to 1-A transitional season.

The conference was won, the bid was offered and accepted and product and materials on advertisements etc for the inaugural New Orleans Bowl were already being printed up before the Troy game even kicked off the next week.

Just a very bad circumstance for all involved but there was nothing we could do about it.

Oh....and I understand not everyone is going to agree me so I don't mind the down votes at all.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

I am relax but don't be content with just 5-7. The coaching staff and player's work hard and they want more than just 5-7.

I am already "content" with this season.  We've played so much better than last year.  I can tell the guys are bought-in and playing their tails off.  If they win 3 more games, I'll be ecstatic, if they don't win any more, I won't consider the season a failure.   But then again, I'm a fan.  My mindset is going to be different than a player/coach on the team.

I hope the players/coaches on the team went into the season thinking they're going to go 14-0 with a National Championship.   I hope they see the next 3 games as ones they WILL WIN.   That should be their mindset.  So I expect them to want/expect more than 5-7.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

NT won the bowl bid with the rules in place at the time, therefore they went to a bowl.  They had one loss in conference and beat MTSU the other co-champion.   

They deserved and won the bid.   I feel completely different about an at large bid for 5-7 record team.  I would be happy and support the team if they got a bid this year, but frankly I think the bowl game bar is ridiculously low.   

If we go this year, we will have won a bowl bid with the rules in place at the time and would therefore go to a bowl. If 5-7 is the threshold based on our circumstances, then it is the threshold. It would be silly to turn down a bowl because we don't feel right about it. The extra practice time and recruiting boost would be helpful in advancing towards a better season next year and would help us compete for a conference championship. The bar to get a bowl game is lower than it used to be, but we should still not hesitate to accept the advantages that it provides to us if it is available.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

If we go this year, we will have won a bowl bid with the rules in place at the time and would therefore go to a bowl. If 5-7 is the threshold based on our circumstances, then it is the threshold. It would be silly to turn down a bowl because we don't feel right about it. The extra practice time and recruiting boost would be helpful in advancing towards a better season next year and would help us compete for a conference championship. The bar to get a bowl game is lower than it used to be, but we should still not hesitate to accept the advantages that it provides to us if it is available.

You sound like a desperate Debbie

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

What were your expectations in August?  Yes, I'm sure the players, coaches, & fans want more than 5 & 7, but still 5-7 is a great improvement over 1-11 & everyone should be proud of the hard work that went into that turn-around.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I hate this talk.  We have no business going to a bowl game with only 5 wins.  It was ok in '01 because of special circumstances.  But not today.

Rick

I do not like it much either, If we get asked we need to accept.  Those 15 extra practice days will pay off next season!  Especially with the younger guys and redshirts.  Not to mention on the recruiting trail that we are bowling.

• Upvote 1