MGB: Littrell press conference notes

Brett Vito

Kinda showing my age here, and I don't consider myself old, but it wigs me out that a college team rolling out 350-ish yards and 25 points/game is last in their conference offensive rankings.

I used to watch a ton of slugfest football where the winner scored about 17 points and anything more than 20 points was a really good day.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cerebus said:

Fine is already getting buried while we try and run those short throws.  If they had time for those longer patterns to develop I am sure they would throw them more often.  

That's a good point. Really hoping the O-line recruiting can pick up. Until we can solidify it, there's nothing we can do. Makes me wonder why the coaches don't try and experiment more to see if there's a better combination up front

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

That's a good point. Really hoping the O-line recruiting can pick up. Until we can solidify it, there's nothing we can do. Makes me wonder why the coaches don't try and experiment more to see if there's a better combination up front

They've made plenty of changes. If I'm not mistaken, they had found a decent combination for a couple of games but then some of the starters got hurt. Each of the last 3 games, we've had somebody on the OL get hurt during the game or miss the entire game. We have no depth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They've made plenty of changes. If I'm not mistaken, they had found a decent combination for a couple of games but then some of the starters got hurt. Each of the last 3 games, we've had somebody on the OL get hurt during the game or miss the entire game. We have no depth. 

You know, in Texas there are approximately 1024 High School football teams from 6-A to 2-A. How is it that we can't seem to find an adequate number of lineman amongst that many Texas High School football programs?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, in Texas there are approximately 1024 High School football teams from 6-A to 2-A. How is it that we can't seem to find an adequate number of lineman amongst that many Texas High School football programs?

because everyone else also wants the few guys who are able to play at the FBS level.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Per 247, there are 104 offensive lineman (guards, tackles, or centers) in their database (database is hyperlinked to 247's page) in the class of 2017 (ESPN shows far less in their database). Out of those 104, 34 are rated 3 star composite or greater. Just some numbers. We might have 1024 high schools football teams in Texas, but the number who produce FBS quality offensive linemen on any given year is apparently quite small and Texas schools aren't the only ones going after these kids.

18 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

All we do is run and short throws. 

Air Raid offenses are set up to get playmakers in one on one matchups that they can explode for long gains.

See Goree touchdown from last week. Perfect example of what plays in the Air Raid is supposed to do. All the huge Buyers plays and the swing passes to Jeff Wilson.

We just don't have enough of them or have consistency in producing those plays. We need better playmakers.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

It boggles the mind.  Except for a few successful seasons here and there, UNT has always had problems filling the stable with good offensive (and defensive) linemen.  This has to change.  And fast!

19 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Per 247, there are 104 offensive lineman (guards, tackles, or centers) in their database (database is hyperlinked to 247's page) in the class of 2017 (ESPN shows far less in their database). Out of those 104, 34 are rated 3 star composite or greater. Just some numbers. We might have 1024 high schools football teams in Texas, but the number who produce FBS quality offensive linemen on any given year is apparently quite small and Texas schools aren't the only ones going after these kids.

And yet we seem to be able to find an outstanding RB in tiny Elkart Texas (2-A), but not any o-linemen and d-linemen in the same classification?

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And yet we seem to be able to find an outstanding RB in tiny Elkart Texas (2-A), but not any o-linemen and d-linemen in the same classification?

Line play is often the biggest difference between levels of football. The kids playing on the lines at those little schools aren't usually D1 size and the few who are tough to evaluate since they rarely play anyone of D1 caliber.

Skill guys are easier to evaluate. Sure they are bigger and faster than the other kids on the field, but you can still see the moves and of course speed is speed.

13 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

It boggles the mind.  Except for a few successful seasons here and there, UNT has always had problems filling the stable with good offensive (and defensive) linemen.  This has to change.  And fast!

Well, that means you recruit some bad@$$ undersized lineman and win for 3-4 years then you start going after the prototypical sized OL.  KID FROM Aledo comes to mind as a DL http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1518447-2018-first-look-james-williams 

only offer from Kentucky Christian University.  Because he's 5'9 1/2", this kid can play. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4560256/5721c2c20c5e68122498302f

i understand why he isn't getting d1 looks but this kid only makes plays and a lot of them.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Well, that means you recruit some bad@$$ undersized lineman and win for 3-4 years then you start going after the prototypical sized OL.  KID FROM Aledo comes to mind as a DL http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1518447-2018-first-look-james-williams 

only offer from Kentucky Christian University.  Because he's 5'9 1/2", this kid can play. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4560256/5721c2c20c5e68122498302f

i understand why he isn't getting d1 looks but this kid only makes plays and a lot of them.  

Well....he PLAYS for Aledo.  He's FROM Everman.

But yeah...he can play.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1