In Space

Wag Tag

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Everyone needs more touches. We need about 150 yards more worth of touches. Doesn't matter who gets them as long as we have more than 289 yards of offense. Seth needs to get longer tees. Right now I feel like he's trying to use a driver in the rough. 

We got to do something because we are dead last in total offense in the conference.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2016/id/12

• Upvote 2

I think UNT has talent, but like the op is stating, how do we get our players the ball in space.  LaTech has looked dynamic over the past few years, but the system has definetly helped.

Henderson is an above average talent, but he didn't just blow me away with athletic ability.  We have played some good talent over the years that may be just as impressive and maybe even more impressive.  

What la tech does is find multiple ways to get the ball in their playmakers hands. Reverses, sweeps, screens, etc.  If they just lined Henderson out wide and he went out for passes, he wouldn't be all that.  Putting him in motion, those criss crossing routes, those pick plays, wr holding, is what gives the defense so much trouble.  It's a whole system designed to get him the ball.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yep. And I swear the offense is regressing week-to-week. 

Could that have anything to do with the quality of the team's lining up against us the last couple of weeks?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5

Just now, KRAM1 said:

Could that gave anything to do with the quality of the team's lining up against us the last couple of weeks?

Not really. Louisiana Tech is ranked 101st in the country in total defense. 

I was talking with some La Tech fans on two different occasions and both groups said they are a little scared of our offense only because of their susceptible defense. They didn't want our offense to have their "break out" game vs their defense. 

I guess you could say that about utsa. Their D is ranked 64th. But they jumped up quite a bit over the last 2 weeks due to good defensive performances vs us last week and So Miss this week. We are ranked 72nd in total D, not far from their 64th ranked D. Neither our D or theirs is overly impressive. 

It blatantly has a lot to do with our O just not coming into form as the season progresses. Example: Army has the 7th ranked D in the country. We popped them for big plays and kept their O off the field, particularly in the 2nd half. It's difficult to call big plays continuity. And offensive success has a lot to do with reps and building continuity within. We haven't progressed and that is the problem. It is not the opponent. It's us. 100%. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not really. Louisiana Tech is ranked 101st in the country in total defense. 

I was talking with some La Tech fans on two different occasions and both groups said they are a little scared of our offense only because of their susceptible defense. They didn't want our offense to have their "break out" game vs their defense. 

I guess you could say that about utsa. Their D is ranked 64th. But they jumped up quite a bit over the last 2 weeks due to good defensive performances vs us last week and So Miss this week. We are ranked 72nd in total D, not far from their 64th ranked D. Neither our D or theirs is overly impressive. 

It blatantly has a lot to do with our O just not coming into form as the season progresses. Example: Army has the 7th ranked D in the country. We popped them for big plays and kept their O off the field, particularly in the 2nd half. It's difficult to call big plays continuity. And offensive success has a lot to do with reps and building continuity within. We haven't progressed and that is the problem. It is not the opponent. It's us. 100%. 

It is the same thing we have been fighting  the last few seasons. It is called one dimensional! Stack the box and make the qb beat you! 

When you think about what Seth inherited that is what the team was bilt for, to pound the ball! Give him credit for coaching to the talent he has and not forcing a system down their throats!

The biggest scare going into this season by all was the o-line and for me the o-tackles. Then on top of that we have an undersized freshman starting at Qb. That is a lot of hurdles for an OC!

Recruit Baby!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

It is the same thing we have been fighting  the last few seasons. It is called one dimensional! Stack the box and make the qb beat you! 

When you think about what Seth inherited that is what the team was bilt for, to pound the ball! Give him credit for coaching to the talent he has and not forcing a system down their throats!

The biggest scare going into this season by all was the o-line and for me the o-tackles. Then on top of that we have an undersized freshman starting at Qb. That is a lot of hurdles for an OC!

Recruit Baby!

This is where I think the future is really bright--just think of how much better his schemes will look when he has a roster full of players built for his system, not one that was a plodding, 1970s relic of an offense like McCarney ran.

I think SL and staff still need to get some JUCOs here until the TX HS recruiting picks up more than it has so far. And I bet they will continue to do just that...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This is where I think the future is really bright--just think of how much better his schemes will look when he has a roster full of players built for his system, not one that was a plodding, 1970s relic of an offense like McCarney ran.

I think SL and staff still need to get some JUCOs here until the TX HS recruiting picks up more than it has so far. And I bet they will continue to do just that...

JUCOs are how Bill Snyder brought K-State back to relevance. Why can't we do the same?

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

JUCOs are how Bill Snyder brought K-State back to relevance. Why can't we do the same?

One big reason Snyder made JUCOs work for him was because Kansas has a lot of them and they could just stay close to their current school to keep playing major level football. Being one of two teams in that state, especially when the other one is completely focused on hoops, really made it easy for Snyder and KSU to take advantage of the situation. I don't know if we have that same ability, but it is definitely there to be tried.

18 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I hate to admit this, but I don't understand the term, "in space."  Could someone kindly explain and give an example ?

Beat Western

GO MEAN GREEN 

'in space' usually means isolating an offensive player in an area of the field where there are not many defenders.   think about when a WR runs a reverse.  He has a lot of room behind the line of scrimmage (usually) to let a play develop in front of him before running up field.    Same thing with moving your running back out wide in the flat and passing the ball to him over there (again, usually behind the line of scrimmage).   Isolating a WR one-on-one in the corner of the end zone, or across the middle, etc...

I thought a big part of what was working well for us early on in the game were the swing passes in the flat to Wilson.  He was picking up 7-10 yds per play on those things.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I hate to admit this, but I don't understand the term, "in space."  Could someone kindly explain and give an example ?

Beat Western

GO MEAN GREEN 

Usually perimeter to isolate on fewer defenders! U are not creating space on a dive play but might on a wide pitch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Beat Western

GO MEAN GREEN 

My Orgy Behavior professor defined it as "If you fart in space, does anyone hear?".  Had it on his office wall.

• Downvote 1

On 11/7/2016 at 3:55 PM, greenjoe said:

Beat Western

GO MEAN GREEN 

Sounds like a more polite thing to add to the end when reading your fortune (cookie) in a Chinese restaurant, instead of "in bed".

• Upvote 1