Terrible Refs

mgfan

What was the reason for the 15-yd pentaly on Chad Davis on the drive that McClain got tossed? Was it because he was standing over the WR waving his arms incomplete? 

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

The poor calls didn't cost us the game but they certainly took away any moment we had st the time. Multiple third down stops reversed due to bad calls. Arguably our best defensive back ejected on a terrible call. All of that sucked any momentum we might had had....

Also, it was stupid for McClain to go for the QB there.. the QB had given himself up and was sliding, but the rule of targeting is any contact with the head of the other teams player with the players helmet as well. McClain did hit the QB in the head and that is why, he got tossed. Again stupid play by McClain that never should have happened and McClain had enough time to not dive and hit the QB. 

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

What was the reason for the 15-yd pentaly on Chad Davis on the drive that McClain got tossed? Was it because he was standing over the WR waving his arms incomplete? 

Also, it was stupid for McClain to go for the QB there.. the QB had given himself up and was sliding, but the rule of targeting is any contact with the head of the other teams player with the players helmet as well. McClain did hit the QB in the head and that is why, he got tossed. Again stupid play by McClain that never should have happened and McClain had enough time to not dive and hit the QB. 

mcclain was about to deliver a hit, and the la tech qb slid late.  It changes target of the offensive player from the torso/hips to the head last second.  I saw it live from the 3rd row in the winged endzone and i just watched it in espn3 a couple times.

For that to be considered targeting, reviewed and confirmed, is an absolute joke.  They should consider when the player slides.  The qb is a runner at that point, and a safety is looking to make a tackle.  When he is sprinting towards a runner to deliver a legal tackle and is committed to contact, i would submit it is impossible to slow up with a last second slide, causing a BULLSHIT targeting penalty.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes.  That as well as looking down at the player (and likely saying something) while he did it.  Unfortunately, that's pretty cut and dry taunting.  You can't stand over a player and talk smack or make jestures while looking down at them.   If he'd just done the incomplete arm wave while staring at the sky, no penalty. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Yes.  That as well as looking down at the player (and likely saying something) while he did it.  Unfortunately, that's pretty cut and dry taunting.  You can't stand over a player and talk smack or make jestures while looking down at them.   If he'd just done the incomplete arm wave while staring at the sky, no penalty. 

What makes that penalty call, and the Side & Back judge performance last night, so infuriating is that the Side judge was right on top of the play and did not throw the flag for taunting. That flag came from the Back judge 15-20 yards away. Either she is deaf and the Back Judge has incredible hearing or the Side judge was way over her head. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, RealMeanGreenMatt said:

What makes that penalty call, and the Side & Back judge performance last night, so infuriating is that the Side judge was right on top of the play and did not throw the flag for taunting. That flag came from the Back judge 15-20 yards away. Either she is deaf and the Back Judge has incredible hearing or the Side judge was way over her head. 

The Back Judge and Side Judge were clearly on a mission to issue their quotas of flags. How many can you confidently throw from 15-20 yards? This was the second week in a row that we were trounced by the officials, and this week clearly represented an agenda by this crew. Hopefully (doubtful) C-USA will take action against this crew, and in particular the Back Judge and Side Judge.

• Upvote 1

The young lady official is not only terrible she is bad.   She throws the flag so late it in unbelievable. She lets player dictate he calls.   She should not be ref in peewee football.   I have never seen such terrible officiating in my life.  Can the coach request to the league these clowns not do our games anymore.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3

A couple of comments on officiating.    First, from the stands it is almost impossible to see what the call should actually be.  Having said that it is highly unusual that one team would have so many penalties and another next to nothing until the game was well in hand.   This game appears to be one that the referees were on a mission to insure that the team with the best record was protected.   

I have seldom if ever in a football game seen a referee try to impose themselves so much on the game.  That female referee was much more concerned that she was noticed than she was about fairly officiating a game.  

All those La Tech fans that think this was a fairly refereed game would be in revolt if their team had the calls that NT did. 

Some comments that the officiating didn't lose the game.   No way actually to know that, NT was in this game and the game might have a lot difference if not for a couple of td drives that would have been stopped multiple times if not for penalties.

I frankly could not believe that ejection because of targeting.  

A lot of teams blame the referees for loses with a lot less ammunition than that crew's performance last night.  No it wasn't a close game; and La Tech had the superior team; but it would have been nice to have the outcome more fairly decided.   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Like others, I didn't agree with the targeting call.  However,I was impressed and proud of how Kishawn McClain handled it.  No taking off his helmet.  No hand jestures to anyone.  He immediately and quickly ran to the locker room.  He continues to impress me.  I hope he has a prosperous future playing on Sundays.  

This. Still a bogus ass call. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, college refs can make a nice supplemental income. You need to start young - a few years doing pee-wee games, then a few Jr High years, probably five in high school games and then you get to division III and start working your way up in college. You can't progress from one level to the next without a lot of positive recommendations from coaches of the teams you refed. I know it used to take about 12 years to get to the Sun Belt level. 

I think there were a number of terrible calls in the game, but we also committed a number of penalties. The late hit which might have been out of bounds was just stupid. Most of the holding penalties on us were valid. And I know at least two were well away from the play. My objection was La Tech's line was holding all night, especially #75. 

LA Tech is undoubtedly the better team so let that be the reason they win, not because of shitty officiating. They were the better team in the second half, but in the first half? Many of those bullshit penalties could have ended drives that went on to be touchdowns and you could be looking at a Mean Green lead at halftime. It was 9-0 in penalties at halftime, how the fuck is that right?? I think the worst one in my opinion was the "taunting" call, which was literally our player preventing the completion, and turning around and spreading the eagle wings. LIKE WE HAVE DONE ALL SEASON. That was a terrible crew which seems to be the norm in this conference. I'm ready to bolt C-USA.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

That and shouldn't stand there talking shit when a team hangs 20+ on you. Act like you've been there before guys

13 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

LaShell Nelson was the side judge that made some of the most egregious calls.  She's trying to make it as an NFL ref.  Somebody send game tape from tonight to the NFL.  Please. 

I thought the back judge was way more egregious.

3 hours ago, RealMeanGreenMatt said:

Like she came over after this one and looked like she was damn near colliding with him. Like, "I didn't call that time, but yeah. Good on ya."

I suffered through the '88 Texas debacle which stands as the all time worse called game at any level that I've witnessed. 

Still this one would have to rank in the top 3 to 4 maybe?  

You can see holding on every play.  When a player starts to get separation from another who doesn't release its extremely visible. Last night's crew chose to ignore it occurring on one side.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, SHOSS said:

mcclain was about to deliver a hit, and the la tech qb slid late.  It changes target of the offensive player from the torso/hips to the head last second.  I saw it live from the 3rd row in the winged endzone and i just watched it in espn3 a couple times.

For that to be considered targeting, reviewed and confirmed, is an absolute joke.  They should consider when the player slides.  The qb is a runner at that point, and a safety is looking to make a tackle.  When he is sprinting towards a runner to deliver a legal tackle and is committed to contact, i would submit it is impossible to slow up with a last second slide, causing a BULLSHIT targeting penalty.

The way the QB slid, he is down as soon starts his slide.. if he had dove head first then he is fair game.. but when you slide feet first, you are down as soon as you start. Also, I was in the Wing as well, it was clear he made contact with the QBs helmet. They don't consider it because it's a rule. If you consider this or that then it leaves a lot of room for error. 

3 hours ago, All About UNT said:

That and shouldn't stand there talking shit when a team hangs 20+ on you. Act like you've been there before guys

When I saw this, it's a call that is called at times but something that can be easily avoided... but agree about the "act like you have been there." The guy Henderson was destroying them and ya we had a great play chad, but he nearly got flagged again for same thing in the 4th..  but I guess being nearly doubled up let the refs glance over it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I no longer have the slightest faith in CUSA to effectively (or perhaps ethically) officiate a game.  It is hard to even look forward to the Western Kentucky game, knowing all that we are going up against.  There should be disciplinary action taken against last night's crew, but it won't happen.

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Here is a photo of the hit clearly to the head of the QB, and prefect view as to why it was targeting. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20161105-losing-mcclain-hinders-mean-green.ece

A comeback? Ha! Gotta have the capability of putting together more than 289 yards of offense for a "comeback." This offense, ugh. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Targeting by definition has to be intentional.  Not sure that picture proves anything.  

Agree

Do y'all remember early on..the La Tech reciever that caught the ball near our ..10 yard line I'm guessing and then had the ball knocked out but he recovered, but the catch was ruled incomplete?  That cost Tech 15-20 yards and looked like a catch and fumble to me?

Anyone else see that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1