Anyone else here at the bonfire?

Stix

2 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Every year.  Also the largest on-campus one  in Texas as I recall.  

And, largest non-mechanically constructed in the country as well ... as I understand it.  Take that Aggies! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Hope you enjoyed the music!

I did! Didn't stay the whole time but what I heard was good

10 hours ago, THOR said:

Do they have any unt growler yet? Since they have so many other texas schools

Nope. I asked the guy up front and he seemed clueless so who knows

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:39 AM, KRAM1 said:

And, largest non-mechanically constructed in the country as well ... as I understand it.  Take that Aggies! 

Had to go there.  Fact:  All logs placed on the Aggie Bonfire are done so by human muscle power. The weight of logs being hoisted by block and tackle attached to the Center Pole is what cracked it in 1999 causing it to collapse.    Built four of them in my day.  Never saw a log placed by a crane.

Anyone can stack pallets.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, DT 90 said:

Had to go there.  Fact:  All logs placed on the Aggie Bonfire are done so by human muscle power. The weight of logs being hoisted by block and tackle attached to the Center Pole is what cracked it in 1999 causing it to collapse.    Built four of them in my day.  Never saw a log placed by a crane.

image.png.08c6be2689ed432dacd4e98f8eed9d53.png

Block and tackle is using a mechanical advantage.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DT 90 said:

Hmmmm...last I checked...block and tackle was a mechanical assist.  But, then again...don't expect an Aggie to know that. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Hmmmm...last I checked...block and tackle was a mechanical assist.  But, then again...don't expect an Aggie to know that. ?

Mere technicality.  Don't know why they gave each of you negative rating.  It is just part of being an Aggie. 

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, DT 90 said:

Mere technicality. . 

But an extremely important one.

Its why for decades now in building bonfire we have never had one severe or critical injury or even a close call that I know of unlike the numerous close calls A&M had experienced prior to the final fatal one.  

At one point a few years back a representative for A&M that was researching the possibilities of bringing back their bonfire contacted NT to ask questions regarding how our liability insurance is structured because our our safety record.

I suspect when told that we use nothing but small wood items that are hand-stacked only in a limited size that they became disinterested?  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

But an extremely important one.

Its why for decades now in building bonfire we have never had one severe or critical injury or even a close call that I know of unlike the numerous close calls A&M had experienced prior to the final fatal one.  

At one point a few years back a representative for A&M that was researching the possibilities of bringing back their bonfire contacted NT to ask questions regarding how our liability insurance is structured because our our safety record.

I suspect when told that we use nothing but small wood items that are hand-stacked only in a limited size that they became disinterested?  

Rick

Yea that would definitely be a turn off.  They continue to build Bonfire using the same tried and true means albeit now with engineer guidance and plans.  It is still humongous and uses the wedding cake tiers.  However,  is not a school sponsored event.

http://www.studentbonfire.com/

11 hours ago, DT 90 said:

Yea that would definitely be a turn off.  They continue to build Bonfire using the same tried and true means albeit now with engineer guidance and plans.  It is still humongous and uses the wedding cake tiers.  However,  is not a school sponsored event.

http://www.studentbonfire.com/

Are they still using a crane?  I see inward sloping stacks in those photos.  That's dIfferent.  And is alcohol allowed anywhere near the property?

Rick

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Are they still using a crane?  I see inward sloping stacks in those photos.  That's dIfferent.  And is alcohol allowed anywhere near the property?

Rick

Never used cranes.  You see the haul ropes for the block and tackle.   The only thing different is now the center pole is cross braced by four poles that are sunk into the ground at each quadrant.  You can see those in the picture too. One of them has the Texas flag suspended from it.   Also, the stack is now homogenous. The logs are cut at different lengths to give it the wedding cake tier look.   Used to the logs at each level were stacked on top of logs at the lower level.   

Alcohol has always been forbidden on the stack. Not to say that students were not "steeled" for the work when they showed up.

15 hours ago, DT 90 said:

Never used cranes.  You see the haul ropes for the block and tackle.   The only thing different is now the center pole is cross braced by four poles that are sunk into the ground at each quadrant.  You can see those in the picture too. One of them has the Texas flag suspended from it.   Also, the stack is now homogenous. The logs are cut at different lengths to give it the wedding cake tier look.   Used to the logs at each level were stacked on top of logs at the lower level.   

Alcohol has always been forbidden on the stack. Not to say that students were not "steeled" for the work when they showed up.

According to the United States Fire Administration's investigation that OSHA and HHS/FEMA produced on the '99 collapse.....

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/tr-133.pdf

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

So not only was a crane in use, there were several in use and were being operated by students that night.  

And not only was there alcohol involved, and rescuers smelled alcohol on at least two of the deceased victims, and investigators reported beer cans strewn about the site,  but there had been numerous alcohol related incidences many times before.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4