MGB breaking news -- Key recruit decommits from UNT

Brett Vito

Wonder if he is having trouble qualifying? We may have given him until x date to get a certain score on the SAT/ACT or whatever kids take these days and maybe he didn't do it?

It would be pretty crappy of SL to offer a kid then pull the scholarship because the kid was underperforming on the field. I don't think SL would do that. 

It must be a off-the-field issue like grades or something else.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's definitely not "late in the game" for a kid being recruited (especially at this level) to be told to look elsewhere.  There are lots of possibilities why we may have pulled the offer and I hope it's because we decided he wasn't a good fit for our offense.  We just have to trust our coaches they they are making good decisions.

At this point it's past time for us to move on and talk about the kids who are coming or who may still come.  I wish the kid well wherever he winds up. 

• Upvote 1

Kids can change their minds and that is fine. Men should be true to their word.

Now if the kid couldn't make a test score, can't get his grades high enough or has some type of behavioral issue then it is fine for a coach to rescind an offer.

But a coach should not pull an offer if, "Oops, I thought you were better at playing football."

Maybe Nick Saban does that. But I don't want to win that way.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

"A man's word is his bond."  

"A deal's a deal."

"If I tell you I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it."

These are all phrases that apparently out of date.  Phrases that only have meaning if both parties nefer have a second thought.  Personally, I'd rather a man not make a commitment to me than to renege on the promise.  I can deal with, "ask me later" than, "I'm really not a trustworthy person."

Beat La Tech

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

11 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Kids can change their minds and that is fine. Men should be true to their word.

Now if the kid couldn't make a test score, can't get his grades high enough or has some type of behavioral issue then it is fine for a coach to rescind an offer.

But a coach should not pull an offer if, "Oops, I thought you were better at playing football."

Maybe Nick Saban does that. But I don't want to win that way.

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

"A deal's a deal."

These are all phrases that apparently out of date.  Phrases that only have meaning if both parties nefer have a second thought.  Personally, I'd rather a man not make a commitment to me than to renege on the promise.  I can deal with, "ask me later" than, "I'm really not a trustworthy person."

I firmly agree.  And if he was having a subpar year, so what?  He is an O-lineman.  Very rarely do you find immediate impact O-linemen from the HS ranks.  You find something you can work with, redshirt and develop him.  Obviously, the coaches thought they saw something they could work with, and a subpar year doesn't necessarily change that.

If it was truly a mutual decision that it wasn't a good fit, that's different.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2016 at 3:04 PM, KingDL1 said:

It seem someone is whispering in his ears. I doubt it is San Antonio. But if Kansas was calling it might make him rethink.  

On 11/4/2016 at 9:44 AM, Ben Gooding said:

uh huh...Meanwhile...

4-6, 8-4, 7-5, 4-8, and 3-9 is #1 in CUSA in recruiting. A 5 year old program that is 26-32 overall as a program in their history is #1. This same program that is #1 plays in an off campus dilapidated stadium that on a GREAT day hits 40ish% capacity. They have a legit community college campus. They are nobodies. Where are their excuses? We can sit here all day long every day and make excuses for the amount of ineptitude. I'm not going to do it. For anyone. Ever. We can do better. We have to do better. 

This is not a "some center from College Station" story it's a look at our poor recruiting so far story.  Josh is just the headline.   North Texas should be in the top 5 recruiting in CUSA most years.   And no lower than second every year in the CUSA West.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

"A deal's a deal."

Beat La Tech

GO MEAN GREEN

I know I get pissed when people quit the board forever and then come back.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

Given the number of scholarship players that spend a career watching instead of playing, I think the "decommitt" is more of a player thing than a coach thing.  As few scholarships as there are available, coaches must only offer if they're sure.  And as for grades,  any offer is made with the understanding that the player has to qualify to get into the school.

Beat Western

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I firmly agree.  And if he was having a subpar year, so what?  He is an O-lineman.  Very rarely do you find immediate impact O-linemen from the HS ranks.  You find something you can work with, redshirt and develop him.  Obviously, the coaches thought they saw something they could work with, and a subpar year doesn't necessarily change that.

If it was truly a mutual decision that it wasn't a good fit, that's different.

Exactly. When evaluating a recruit, college coaches don't evaluate film, or live play, in terms of good plays and bad plays. They evaluate in terms of ability and capabilities. 

Did this dude get smaller? Did he get weaker? Did he get less athletic? Even if he is having a "bad season" are our coaches watching every snap of his amidst our own season?

I don't necessarily buy the "bad season" narrative. Maybe he is grading out lower this year than last, but unless his traits and abilities have evaporated then I just don't believe that's enough to pull an offer.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

"Neither called me back, but someone who has a pretty good handle on the situation gave me the basics.

It sounds like Donovan was not having a particularly good season and was told by UNT to begin looking at other options for schools where he can continue his career."

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't necessarily buy the "bad season" narrative. Maybe he is grading out lower this year than last, but unless his traits and abilities have evaporated then I just don't believe that's enough to pull an offer.

Somebody who apparently has "a good handle on the situation" suggested to Vito this is exactly the case. Whether you "buy" it or not is irrelevant if that's what somebody close to the situation says is the case.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Recruiting is a cutthroat business. Schools and players have to do what they think it best for them.

Love this!

“Don’t sell your soul by doing whatever it takes to get players. It’s not worth it,” Shaw said. “Be honest with who you are and what the program is. Find out who they are and make sure you fit each other...

I don't know how the UTSA/UNT series will pan out but, regarding the Litrell "coach/system" hire vs. the Wilson "recruiter" hire, I prefer what we brought in.

• Upvote 3

On 11/6/2016 at 1:38 PM, Marty said:

“If a guy doesn’t fit, don’t make him fit. Let him go. He might be a superstar some place else, but if you have the right guys, you’ll meet him on Saturday, and you’ll beat him.”

Huge!

• Upvote 1