MGB breaking news -- Key recruit decommits from UNT

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

I guess that's to be expected, but man...we're #9 in recruiting in CUSA? Like, I didn't expect to be #1 in this crew's first full recruiting cycle, but at least middle of the pack, especially sitting at .500. Seems like it'll hurt us more than a lot of teams to lose recruits.

If SL can lead this team to a couple of winning seasons, I know we'll see NT in the middle of the pack of CUSA recruiting. The stinch of losing is still strong with this program and definitely doesn't help perception amongst high school players.....

8 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

If SL can lead this team to a couple of winning seasons, I know we'll see NT in the middle of the pack of CUSA recruiting. The stinch of losing is still strong with this program and definitely doesn't help perception amongst high school players.....

Oh boy..Can't wait for that

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Got5onIt said:

Baby steps....

I get the baby steps. But North Texas is always in a 4-5-6 year plan to be a 8-9 win team to which of course it never really pans out. Other programs skyrocket to relevancy often times in a year or 2. We';re always baby stepping and draggin ass. I still have faith in the current setup. It's entirely too early to pull the plug on this and that goes without saying. However, to me, the shine is already wearing dull and that within and of itself is awfully alarming. Recruiting HAS to step up. It just has to. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I get the baby steps. But North Texas is always in a 4-5-6 year plan to be a 8-9 win team to which of course it never really pans out. Other programs skyrocket to relevancy often times in a year or 2. We';re always baby stepping and draggin ass. I still have faith in the current setup. It's entirely too early to pull the plug on this and that goes without saying. However, to me, the shine is already wearing dull and that within and of itself is awfully alarming. Recruiting HAS to step up. It just has to. 

The "New coaching staff & vision" theme have a limited window to be pitched to recruits. The staff has to produce W's if recruiting is to improve. Problem is losing negatively impacts the program. So how the hell do they bring in talent to end the vicious cycle? That's all we have, baby steps. Cross your fingers and hope they strike gold in one recruiting class.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

The "New coaching staff & vision" theme have a limited window to be pitched to recruits. The staff has to produce W's if recruiting is to improve. Problem is losing negatively impacts the program. So how the hell do they bring in talent to end the vicious cycle? That's all we have, baby steps. Cross your fingers and hope they strike gold in one recruiting class.. 

uh huh...Meanwhile...

4-6, 8-4, 7-5, 4-8, and 3-9 is #1 in CUSA in recruiting. A 5 year old program that is 26-32 overall as a program in their history is #1. This same program that is #1 plays in an off campus dilapidated stadium that on a GREAT day hits 40ish% capacity. They have a legit community college campus. They are nobodies. Where are their excuses? We can sit here all day long every day and make excuses for the amount of ineptitude. I'm not going to do it. For anyone. Ever. We can do better. We have to do better. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! 

To quote Aaron Rogers..........R-E-L-A-X

SL and Co. are doing fine.  We need to let them do their jobs without beating them over the head.  NOBODY really thought we would be .500 at this point in the season with what he had to work with, and his limited recruiting window he had....  We are right on schedule to run things around.  Look at what he can tell new recruits.  He turned around what may have been the worst team in CFB last year to a potential bowl team using somebody else's players who were not recruited to play his style of FB.  he had next to zero recruiting time, and did pretty good with that aspect of the job.....  There is a lot of upside to come to UNT and play.

I don't, for the life of me, know why people have to be so critical when somebody is doing a good job.  Nobody on this board knows what is going on with recruiting.....  Let's enjoy what we have going on now!!! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! 

To quote Aaron Rogers..........R-E-L-A-X

SL and Co. are doing fine.  We need to let them do their jobs without beating them over the head.  NOBODY really thought we would be .500 at this point in the season with what he had to work with, and his limited recruiting window he had....  We are right on schedule to run things around.  Look at what he can tell new recruits.  He turned around what may have been the worst team in CFB last year to a potential bowl team using somebody else's players who were not recruited to play his style of FB.  he had next to zero recruiting time, and did pretty good with that aspect of the job.....  There is a lot of upside to come to UNT and play.

I don't, for the life of me, know why people have to be so critical when somebody is doing a good job.  Nobody on this board knows what is going on with recruiting.....  Let's enjoy what we have going on now!!! 

I wish this was the correct attitude. With respect to the current season this is maybe correct. But two seasons down the road we will expect Littrel to do better than now. How he recruits will be cruical toward that end. Middle of the pack recruiting now will make it hard to be a 9 win team competing for the conference championship in 2018. We can discuss whether it is too early to tell -its definitely a bit early to panik- and we can discuss the merrits of recruiting rankings etc, but at this time the signs are not unanimously pointing in the right direction, recruiting seldom magically skyrockets at the end of the season. A bit of concern is not misplaced. UTSA is in a completely comparable situation, and there are currently no bad signs at UTSA of the sort we can see in UNT recruiting. Now if UTSAs on the field product were significantly worse... but we just lost to them.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I wish this was the correct attitude. With respect to the current season this is maybe correct. But two seasons down the road we will expect Littrel to do better than now. How he recruits will be cruical toward that end. Middle of the pack recruiting now will make it hard to be a 9 win team competing for the conference championship in 2018. We can discuss whether it is too early to tell -its definitely a bit early to panik- and we can discuss the merrits of recruiting rankings etc, but at this time the signs are not unanimously pointing in the right direction, recruiting seldom magically skyrockets at the end of the season. A bit of concern is not misplaced. UTSA is in a completely comparable situation, and there are currently no bad signs at UTSA of the sort we can see in UNT recruiting. Now if UTSAs on the field product were significantly worse... but we just lost to them.

As has been stated UTSA is very comparable with their first year coach.They have a class ranked 1 in CUSA at this time with a number of players having P5 offers. Very simply put we should out recruit UTSA! We have a good story with the program improving and very good young coaches! GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Watched him play in Temple last week...he was big but I didn't trust his feet.  They did some kind of misdirection on nearly every play so there weren't too many opportunities to see him whip the man in front of him, but I didn't leave the game just floored by him.  Hate to lose him though.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Then why would we have offered in the first place?

Why don't you go ask them? Per MaxPreps, they averaged 261 rushing yard per game last year versus 159 passing yard per game. This year is more balanced but still over 220 rushing and around 180 passing per game. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas

20 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why don't you go ask them? Per MaxPreps, they averaged 261 rushing yard per game last year versus 159 passing yard per game. This year is more balanced but still over 220 rushing and around 180 passing per game. 

So the coaches pulled the offer because his high school team is too run-oriented, despite being perfectly fine offering and accepting a commitment in the first place back when his high school team had run the ball even more. That's just not how it works.

They evaluate the player and project his skills. They saw him live at a camp. They determined he could fit their scheme and what plays his high school ran after that are irrelevant.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So the coaches pulled the offer because his high school team is too run-oriented, despite being perfectly fine offering and accepting a commitment in the first place back when his high school team had run the ball even more. That's just not how it works.

They evaluate the player and project his skills. They saw him live at a camp. They determined he could fit their scheme and what plays his high school ran after that are irrelevant.

Read his tweets and re-tweets. They certainly offer more insight than our speculation. We pulled the offer or stopped showing interested. However it happened we don't know but it wasn't necessarily solely Donovan's choice. You can speculate all you want just like I can. Like I said, read his tweets and re-tweets. While you're at it, click on the article he re-tweeted about his commitment. I'll even post it here so it's easier for you: http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/2017-oc-josh-donovan-decommits-north-texas/ 

Also, per Max Preps, his high schools yards per completion and yard per carry have both dipped drastically since last season. Maybe his production at center has slipped and he's a big part of the drop in offensive production? All speculation until we get an answer from him or the coaches.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1