DRC Monday column: UNT clamored for years for a Texas rival. It's got one now

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

An interesting point was brought up Saturday.  Would any of you consider ULM a rival?  Because they are basically the Sun Belt version of NutsaaCK.  A recent start up/move up that we have trouble beating.  That is all they are. 

You made me curious so I checked. ULM started playing football in 1931. They moved from NAIA to 1AA in 1974 and joined the Southland when it moved to 1AA. They won a 1AA national championship in 87. And they moved up FBS in 94 the year before us. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JagRunner said:

We don't see UNT as a rival. Texas State is our rival (and have been for years) and I'm looking forward to starting the rivalry back up again next season. 

UNT is just a team we've beaten 3 out of the last 4 years. NBD

And UTSA is just a team Texas State has beat 7 of 8 times from 2005 through 2013 (their last meeting). NBD.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, JagRunner said:

We don't see UNT as a rival. Texas State is our rival (and have been for years) and I'm looking forward to starting the rivalry back up again next season. 

17 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And UTSA is just a team Texas State has beat 7 of 8 times from 2005 through 2013 (their last meeting). NBD.

No one gives a shit about either team.

Ask Arizona or Arizona State and they be like

rI9O6UXkCjvTG.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, JagRunner said:

This is excellent news.

Please help convince your buddies of this fact so everyone can move on.  We have people on here trying to do the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, JagRunner said:

I know what you mean. You're just the team that NT beat for its lone win during the worst season in team history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/17/2016 at 4:02 PM, JagRunner said:

Well clearly you consider TxState a rival. Community colleges consider other community colleges a rival.

Being in a conference with UTSA is the largest shame on this school since being in a conference with Troy or South Alabama.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Well clearly you consider TxState a rival. Community colleges consider other community colleges a rival.

Being in a conference with UTSA is the largest shame on this school since being in a conference with Troy or South Alabama.

Except that Troy is ranked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rivalries tend to be going down in importance and intensity rather than the other way around. At least in this part of the world. 

Texas used to have very fierce rivalries going on with both the Aggies and OU, and now that has devolved into nothing much more than a semi-fierce rivalry with OU in Dallas. Same goes for the nothing much to talk about rivalry between TCU and SMU.

Rivalries aren't quite what they were in our daddy's and granddaddy's day, and if we can find a true rival I guess we'll know it when it hits us squarely in the face. At this point I personally don't see San Antonio as the answer, but then again I was well into grade school before they even had their inaugural class on campus.

Now, in regard to important issues, BEAT SO MISS!!