QB sacks Fine vs Sturm

casual fan

2 minutes ago, casual fan said:

How big will sacks be in the UTSA game?

Fine is the second most sacked QB in the FBS with 25.

Sturm is the fifth most sacked with 23.

Sturm can be had.

If Fine can stay vertical (2 sacks at Army) things should work out Saturday.

Not very big if Littrell keeps Harrell in check and we run much more than we throw. 

Dance with who brung ya:  we aren't winning games by dropping back our QB play after play.  We are winning when QB turns around and hands the ball to Jeffrey Wilson.

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

So no more of that wily impossible to tackle QB from 2013?  God I hated that kid. 

Gold, Jerry!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, casual fan said:

How big will sacks be in the UTSA game?

Fine is the second most sacked QB in the FBS with 25.

Sturm is the fifth most sacked with 23.

Sturm can be had.

If Fine can stay vertical (2 sacks at Army) things should work out Saturday.

Our defense is better at attacking the QB than theirs.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Our defense is better at attacking the QB than theirs.

INT                                                         SACKS           FUMBLES RECOVERED

UNT                    10    for 165 yards and 2 TDs                    15                            5

UTSA                    2    for 14 yards and no TDs                    10                            7

For sure UNT has been more opportunistic on defense than UTSA.   Turnovers could be the key.

• Upvote 2

Fine had a really bad game this past weekend... i mean, we all know that without Wilson and the rest of our backs, we would have had a ton of trouble winning that game

that being said, we got the ball back with 9:30-ish left in the fourth, deep in our own territory. I figured if we could run two minutes of clock, it would be tough for Army to score twice, as we were up by ten.

first and second down did not go well, setting up a long 3rd down situation. Fine drops back and with the pocket collapsing he scrambles and dives, getting us a much needed first down. the next play, Wilson busts a 50+ yard run. That grit shown by Fine, when it looked like the drive was over, showed a ton about what kind of player he is. I trust the kid to get the job done, hope he throws 5 TD's next week.

• Upvote 5

personally i believe that the wind did play a role in west point. This game is in a dome, I expect fine to pass more. If he can't do it maybe Alec Morris gets a series for a change of pace (possible but only somewhat likely). In any case: When Fine passes more, he gets sacked more. But he does not turn it over, which is big for any QB, and huge for a freshman. But overall it is important that we keep passing at least a certain amount with at least some success, to keep opposing defenses from simply cheating toward the run all the time. That is part of what went wrong with Macs last two years.

On the other hand, our defense is so oportunistic, I'd be nervous if I were a runner fan about giving us the ball often and falling behind the chains. UNTs DBs and LBs wreak a lot of havoc and it is dangerous to try to beat UNT with the big play. Opponents need to cut us down 6 yard play by 6 yard play -preferably rushing-, while also being consistent and not giving up the ball. Army couldn't. Not sure UTSA is up to that task.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

I agree with the wind theory. It was VERY windy and several of his passes sailed. It was also an issue with the kicking game. I thought he had more time than we had seen in his earlier games. I'm hoping that was a sign of the O-line improving seeing that their D-line has had a good season.

UTSA's receivers don't worry me.  I didn't see anything special there.  Their running backs don't scare me as long as we don't give them big holes.  Their quarterback, Sturm, does worry me.  He has a strong enough arm, pretty accurate, and very fast running.  He will pull the ball down and get 10 yards downfield before you can get a hand on him.  We need to get pressure on him and blitzes seem to work for us ... but we've got to be disciplined about it.  

I'm not really worried about their defense.  I think they are OK but, again, nothing special.  We should be able to run on them.  We should be able to hit underneath passes.  

36 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

UTSA's receivers don't worry me.  I didn't see anything special there.  Their running backs don't scare me as long as we don't give them big holes.  Their quarterback, Sturm, does worry me.  He has a strong enough arm, pretty accurate, and very fast running.  He will pull the ball down and get 10 yards downfield before you can get a hand on him.  We need to get pressure on him and blitzes seem to work for us ... but we've got to be disciplined about it.  

I'm not really worried about their defense.  I think they are OK but, again, nothing special.  We should be able to run on them.  We should be able to hit underneath passes.  

If we can do these 2 things with any consistency we will win going away..AKA, blow them out. I trust our D. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1