How Big a Deal was Beating Army? I have a question?

KingDL1

Does anybody remember the last time we beat a fully D1a  out of conference opponent in the regular season with a winning record at game time and at their house (away game)? Plus we also D1a or equivalent. 

I could not think of it...........

54 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Does anybody remember the last time we beat a fully D1a  out of conference opponent in the regular season with a winning record at game time and at their house (away game)? Plus we also D1a or equivalent. 

I could not think of it...........

Do you considered .500 a winning record?

If so in 1999 we beat a 1-1 Texas Tech in Lubbock.

Do you consider every game an independent pays to be OOC?

If so in 1978 we beat a 4-2 La Tech who was a member of the southland at the time.

On the flip side in  1970 we as mvc members beat independent  3-1 west Texas state.

FINALLY: If you want to find a game where we as a conference member beat a team in another conference when they had a winning record...

We as MVC members beat 1-0 UTEP, a member of the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association, in 1959.

BUT, Technically:  DI came into existence in 1973.   Before that the divisions were University and College.  After 1973 University became DI*, and College subdivided into DII and DIII.  In 1959 both UTEP and NT were in the top division,University.   But technically it wasn't DI.

*Then DI got divided into D1-A and D1-AA in 1978.  DII and DIII did not change at the time.    

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Do you considered .500 a winning record?

If so in 1999 we beat a 1-1 Texas Tech in Lubbock.

Do you consider every game an independent pays to be OOC?

If so in 1978 we beat a 4-2 La Tech who was a member of the southland at the time.

On the flip side in  1970 we as mvc members beat independent  3-1 west Texas state.

FINALLY: If you want to find a game where we as a conference member beat a team in another conference when they had a winning record...

We as MVC members beat 1-0 UTEP, a member of the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1959.

I would say .500 is not a winning record. 

I would say if we are independent then independents are our conference.

To the nature of my thought I find 10-28-1978 La Tech the game I considered last but I think the 10-17-1970 

West Texas State game could be the more fitting game. 

So it only took us between 38-46 years to do it again,

It took SL & staff 7 games. 

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Beat a 3-2 Tennessee in 1975.  Does that count?

Deep is completely right.  I thought they came in 2-3 in 1975.  They had in fact beat LSU, Auburn, and #14 Maryland before our game.  

However as you can tell, beating a OOC team with a winning record on the road is something that has happened RARELY. 

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Yes I think that one counts and is the bigger win, But I think LA Tech was last.

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Deep is completely right.  I thought they came in 2-3 in 1975.  They had in fact beat LSU, Auburn, and #14 Maryland before our game.  

However as you can tell, beating a OOC team with a winning record on the road is something that has happened RARELY. 

Crazy isn't. 

9 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

And a Tennessee that would have been bowl eligible had there been as many bowls as today. 

North Texas vs. Army?  It was a huge win since it was nationally broadcasted on CBSS. 

I have no idea how to predict the rest of our games, so to put it in a Sinatra hit song title & blast from the past I have.......

HIGH HOPES!

Beat the Beep! Beeps! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1