Traveling to West Point

MeanGreen_MBA

I put out some suggestions in one of my posts...enjoy the campus....make sure you go to the cadet chapel....visitors center,cemetery and Pershing museum....its forecast to rain  a little today and tomorrow. Weather is pretty mild for a late Oct day...make sure you go to the parade at 9.00am  after the parade you have a few hours before the game...go to the Thayer Hotel for breakfast or get a cup of coffee and hang out there for awhile...the Thayer is beautiful..just go sit in the lobby near a window and look out at the Hudson...about a block north is the officers club...pop in there if you can...we had our senior prom there...beautiful view....and don't forget Michie doesn't allow embrella's inside the stadium....let me know if there is any other info you need...have a great day....and hopefully the Mean Green play well...tomorrow there are possible 20-30 mph winds...that is bad for North Texas....since Army runs the ball 90% it doesn't effect them that much...good luck..

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, westdorm528 said:

I put out some suggestions in one of my posts...enjoy the campus....make sure you go to the cadet chapel....visitors center,cemetery and Pershing museum....its forecast to rain  a little today and tomorrow. Weather is pretty mild for a late Oct day...make sure you go to the parade at 9.00am  after the parade you have a few hours before the game...go to the Thayer Hotel for breakfast or get a cup of coffee and hang out there for awhile...the Thayer is beautiful..just go sit in the lobby near a window and look out at the Hudson...about a block north is the officers club...pop in there if you can...we had our senior prom there...beautiful view....and don't forget Michie doesn't allow embrella's inside the stadium....let me know if there is any other info you need...have a great day....and hopefully the Mean Green play well...tomorrow there are possible 20-30 mph winds...that is bad for North Texas....since Army runs the ball 90% it doesn't effect them that much...good luck..

We are actually pretty balanced as we have run 226 times versus 216 pass attempts. When we do pass we tend to employ a short passing game and don't go deep very often. Wind probably won't hamper our version of the Air Raid. This should be a very fast moving game as there will be plenty of running plays from both sides. Good luck tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

There was so much controversy building the 9/11 Museum...still people are upset....so many factions of people sued,protested,etc....its hard when some of those people are families of the victims....but I think NYC got is right...the base of the towers with the water falls is awesome....with all the names all over the sides...so powerful....and the museum is incredible....I really think they did a great job because the end result is just breathtaking....you guys that just visited it I'm sure agree...you get this feeling inside of you....you almost want to be quiet or low key....so powerful....  

• Upvote 2

Even if you aren't going to the parade, get to West Point early if you're traveling on your own.  Traffic can be brutal on game days.

Also, for traffic, do not be in a hurry to leave after the game.  Less of a problem than the morning though.

Quickness of game brought on by our offensive scheme is partially offset by tv timeouts.  Be prepared to be bored during those.

WD528, about 7 or 8 years ago, we stayed at the then-new W across from the WTC. I went on a long run through Battery Park and up the Hudson River running trail. On my return, I ran down Church Street, I believe. As I approached the site of the Towers fall, I took in the postings that families had placed of their missing loved ones on temporary barriers, fences and light poles. I was panting heavily from my run, but my breathing changed to this deep, uncontrollable heaving. When I saw a few families standing in front of their missing loved one's pictures, I stopped my run and the heaving transitioned to uncontrolled bawling.

Yesterday, I shed a few tears as I took in the stories our guide told. The sobs deepened standing in front of the salvaged Ladder 3 company truck and thought about my son that wanted to be a firefighter when he grew up. But in the museum, I experienced the same uncontrolled, visceral heaving in the little alcove that told the stories of the jumpers. A sign is posted in front that warns of disturbing content. One quote summed it up. It described a witness account of a woman, standing in a window, looking down for a few minutes. The witness described this woman reaching down to hold her skirt in place before stepping off the window's ledge. The witness sensed this woman's effort to control her dignity as the last act of her life.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
Grammar
  • Upvote 4

unt..nice story... my guidance councilor at my school had her sister  in one of the Towers...she was in school when the news came on. she worked up on the 70th floor so we knew during the day it was going to be bad news..so sad... her body was never identified until almost a year later.

The one thing I remember more then anything was the train station near where I lived...many people here in Orange County commute to NYC....you drive by the train parking lot and see 200-300 cars in the morning...and then at night there are just a few....well one car remained there all night....he was missing...but his family left the car there all week praying and hoping he might come home... ...so  people were stopping by putting flowers on the car...at one point you couldn't tell what kind of car it was because of the amount of flowers.....the car would be sitting all by itself at night...for months they refused to pick up the car until he was identified....there was a snowfall and you could see the outline of the car in the empty parking lot...it was so powerful...then one day it was gone.....it was a great reminder to us.....glad you enjoyed it..its such a powerful experience and unless you see it its hard to explain....I'm sitting in section 3 row W seat 12....if your near there tomorrow drop by..... enjoy your day,hopefully it doesn't rain to hard...Go  Mean Green...

• Upvote 2