Mike Ekeler helping change the culture at North Texas

Harry

When Mike Ekeler was playing linebacker at Kansas State University under Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder in the early 90s, he set a record.

But you won’t find his name scribbled in the NCAA history books anywhere.

“When I played a hundred years ago, I set the NCAA record for having more fun than anyone,” Ekeler said jokingly. “When I got into coaching, I said I was going to enjoy it more than anybody.”

He seems to be living up to his promise.

Ekeler’s antics have caused just about everyone to take notice — including his boss. Head coach Seth Littrell knows the excitement Ekeler brings to the field and summed it up in two words.

“Energy and passion,” Littrell said. “He’s very sharp. He understands what he’s looking for and understands the scheme.”

Without Littrell, Ekeler would not have come to Denton. The hiring of Littrell is one of the main reasons Ekeler decided to call North Texas his new home.

With a resume that has coaching gigs at the University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, Louisiana State University, Indiana University, Nebraska University, and most recently, the University of Georgia, there is little doubt Ekeler could have landed just about anywhere in the country he wanted to go.

But coaching is a job for a people person, and Littrell knew just the person to call to fill his defensive coordinator void.

His former colleague was sold — and ready to join the Mean Green.

“I’m 100 percent standing here today because of Seth Littrell,” Ekeler said. “I think he’s an unbelievable football coach and a great person. I believe in the guy.”

Despite a powerhouse pedigree featuring some of the most renowned football programs in the nation, one thing mattered above all else to Ekeler.

“I’ve worked at some of the greatest schools history-wise in the game,” Ekeler said. “But what it boils down to is people. You can be at the University of Georgia and be miserable if you’re working with shitty people. I really enjoy my work environment and the players here.”

In just six short weeks, Ekeler has turned what was the eighth-worst defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year into a stone wall in the red zone.

read more: http://ntdaily.com/new-defensive-coordinator-mike-ekeler-helping-change-the-culture-at-north-texas/

Just now, Harry said:

When Mike Ekeler was playing linebacker at Kansas State University under Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder in the early 90s, he set a record.

“When I played a hundred years ago, I set the NCAA record for having more fun than anyone,” Ekeler said jokingly. “When I got into coaching, I said I was going to enjoy it more than anybody.”

Ekeler’s antics have caused just about everyone to take notice — including his boss. Head coach Seth Littrell knows the excitement Ekeler brings to the field and summed it up in two words.

“Energy and passion,” Littrell said. “He’s very sharp. He understands what he’s looking for and understands the scheme.”

Without Littrell, Ekeler would not have come to Denton. The hiring of Littrell is one of the main reasons Ekeler decided to call North Texas his new home.

With a resume that has coaching gigs at the University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, Louisiana State University, Indiana University, Nebraska University, and most recently, the University of Georgia, there is little doubt Ekeler could have landed just about anywhere in the country he wanted to go.

But coaching is a job for a people person, and Littrell knew just the person to call to fill his defensive coordinator void.

“I’m 100 percent standing here today because of Seth Littrell,” Ekeler said. “I think he’s an unbelievable football coach and a great person. I believe in the guy.”

Despite a powerhouse pedigree featuring some of the most renowned football programs in the nation, one thing mattered above all else to Ekeler.

“I’ve worked at some of the greatest schools history-wise in the game,” Ekeler said. “But what it boils down to is people. You can be at the University of Georgia and be miserable if you’re working with shitty people. I really enjoy my work environment and the players here.”

In just six short weeks, Ekeler has turned what was the eighth-worst defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year into a stone wall in the red zone.

read more: http://ntdaily.com/new-defensive-coordinator-mike-ekeler-helping-change-the-culture-at-north-texas/

This guy is a badass and a machine. Has anybody notice that he has some hops? 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Up to this point he seems to be a recruiting machine!!! Beat the Eck out of Army!

• Upvote 2

I was on the fence with coach Ekeler since his defenses did not do well at Indiana when he was DC.  I may still be, but he's changing my mind little by little.

I like the partnership with Reffett, and I'm not sure how much of the credit for the defense goes to Ek VS Reffett.  This is Reffett's 3-man-front scheme.  I will say Ek's LBs are performing above expectations.   His charisma is magnetic though, and he has all of the guys on the defensive side of the ball completely bought-in.  That is a huge positive for him, and it's paying off in the win column.

• Upvote 1

I am happy to hear his enthusiasm about the University of North Texas. We're not the Mean Mean Green yet, but considering halfway through the season and the most points we've allowed was 35 (in a double overtime win) while we allowed over 35 points in 7/12 in 2015, I'd say we're on the right track. Let's Go Ekeler!

• Upvote 1

When we hired Harrell, I assumed as many of us did, that he could be the coach in waiting if Littrell was able to turn this thing around and move on.  I still really like the hire as an OC, but just don't see him as our head coach anytime in the next few years.  Just can't see the kids getting excited for him the way they do Littrell.  I certainly could see Ek taking over and the kids playing all out for him. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, GreenBacker said:

When we hired Harrell, I assumed as many of us did, that he could be the coach in waiting if Littrell was able to turn this thing around and move on.  I still really like the hire as an OC, but just don't see him as our head coach anytime in the next few years.  Just can't see the kids getting excited for him the way they do Littrell.  I certainly could see Ek taking over and the kids playing all out for him. 

I think Reffett is more HC ready than Eck, but wouldn't mind either of them as they both bring unique experiences.  

• Upvote 1

Ekeler is so much fun to watch on the sidelines.  If you don't keep an eye out for him, you really should.  And at the last game, he was even in the offensive bench's huddle pumping those guys up.  Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, and this guy is bringing plenty of it to share.

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2016 at 9:39 PM, GreenBacker said:

On 10/18/2016 at 10:19 PM, GMG24 said:

I think Reffett is more HC ready than Eck, but wouldn't mind either of them as they both bring unique experiences.  

The reason I actually see Ekeler be a good head coach is that Reffet came on board a bit later and Ekeler was able to accept that its Reffets system, to trust in Reffet who is completely different from him personality wise, able to delegate and play the system that works with what he has instead of what he is used to. Those are the qualities of a head coach. Now how much he knows about offense, I don't know.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, outoftown said:

The reason I actually see Ekeler be a good head coach is that Reffet came on board a bit later and Ekeler was able to accept that its Reffets system, to trust in Reffet who is completely different from him personality wise, able to delegate and play the system that works with what he has instead of what he is used to. Those are the qualities of a head coach. Now how much he knows about offense, I don't know.

Great point... He can adapt and he wants to win, also admirable traits in a HC.  I think his most underlooked trait is his ability to recruit.  HC often times must seal the deal on a recruit and with a guy like Eck that shouldn't be too hard. 

• Upvote 2

“When I met Ekeler, it was over with,” Jenkins said. “I knew I was going to play for him right away.”

This is all the reason I need to pay Eck a hefty sum of money to stay.