Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Mike Ekeler helping change the culture at North Texas


Harry
 Share

Recommended Posts

When Mike Ekeler was playing linebacker at Kansas State University under Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder in the early 90s, he set a record.

But you won’t find his name scribbled in the NCAA history books anywhere.

“When I played a hundred years ago, I set the NCAA record for having more fun than anyone,” Ekeler said jokingly. “When I got into coaching, I said I was going to enjoy it more than anybody.”

He seems to be living up to his promise.
 

Ekeler’s antics have caused just about everyone to take notice — including his boss. Head coach Seth Littrell knows the excitement Ekeler brings to the field and summed it up in two words.

“Energy and passion,” Littrell said. “He’s very sharp. He understands what he’s looking for and understands the scheme.”

Without Littrell, Ekeler would not have come to Denton. The hiring of Littrell is one of the main reasons Ekeler decided to call North Texas his new home.

With a resume that has coaching gigs at the University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, Louisiana State University, Indiana University, Nebraska University, and most recently, the University of Georgia, there is little doubt Ekeler could have landed just about anywhere in the country he wanted to go.

But coaching is a job for a people person, and Littrell knew just the person to call to fill his defensive coordinator void.

His former colleague was sold — and ready to join the Mean Green.

“I’m 100 percent standing here today because of Seth Littrell,” Ekeler said. “I think he’s an unbelievable football coach and a great person. I believe in the guy.”

Despite a powerhouse pedigree featuring some of the most renowned football programs in the nation, one thing mattered above all else to Ekeler.

“I’ve worked at some of the greatest schools history-wise in the game,” Ekeler said. “But what it boils down to is people. You can be at the University of Georgia and be miserable if you’re working with shitty people. I really enjoy my work environment and the players here.”

In just six short weeks, Ekeler has turned what was the eighth-worst defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year into a stone wall in the red zone.

read more: http://ntdaily.com/new-defensive-coordinator-mike-ekeler-helping-change-the-culture-at-north-texas/
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry said:

When Mike Ekeler was playing linebacker at Kansas State University under Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder in the early 90s, he set a record.

But you won’t find his name scribbled in the NCAA history books anywhere.

“When I played a hundred years ago, I set the NCAA record for having more fun than anyone,” Ekeler said jokingly. “When I got into coaching, I said I was going to enjoy it more than anybody.”

He seems to be living up to his promise.
 

Ekeler’s antics have caused just about everyone to take notice — including his boss. Head coach Seth Littrell knows the excitement Ekeler brings to the field and summed it up in two words.

“Energy and passion,” Littrell said. “He’s very sharp. He understands what he’s looking for and understands the scheme.”

Without Littrell, Ekeler would not have come to Denton. The hiring of Littrell is one of the main reasons Ekeler decided to call North Texas his new home.

With a resume that has coaching gigs at the University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, Louisiana State University, Indiana University, Nebraska University, and most recently, the University of Georgia, there is little doubt Ekeler could have landed just about anywhere in the country he wanted to go.

But coaching is a job for a people person, and Littrell knew just the person to call to fill his defensive coordinator void.

His former colleague was sold — and ready to join the Mean Green.

“I’m 100 percent standing here today because of Seth Littrell,” Ekeler said. “I think he’s an unbelievable football coach and a great person. I believe in the guy.”

Despite a powerhouse pedigree featuring some of the most renowned football programs in the nation, one thing mattered above all else to Ekeler.

“I’ve worked at some of the greatest schools history-wise in the game,” Ekeler said. “But what it boils down to is people. You can be at the University of Georgia and be miserable if you’re working with shitty people. I really enjoy my work environment and the players here.”

In just six short weeks, Ekeler has turned what was the eighth-worst defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year into a stone wall in the red zone.

read more: http://ntdaily.com/new-defensive-coordinator-mike-ekeler-helping-change-the-culture-at-north-texas/
 

This guy is a badass and a machine. Has anybody notice that he has some hops? 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

When Mike Ekeler was playing linebacker at Kansas State University under Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder in the early 90s, he set a record.

But you won’t find his name scribbled in the NCAA history books anywhere.

“When I played a hundred years ago, I set the NCAA record for having more fun than anyone,” Ekeler said jokingly. “When I got into coaching, I said I was going to enjoy it more than anybody.”

He seems to be living up to his promise.
 

Ekeler’s antics have caused just about everyone to take notice — including his boss. Head coach Seth Littrell knows the excitement Ekeler brings to the field and summed it up in two words.

“Energy and passion,” Littrell said. “He’s very sharp. He understands what he’s looking for and understands the scheme.”

Without Littrell, Ekeler would not have come to Denton. The hiring of Littrell is one of the main reasons Ekeler decided to call North Texas his new home.

With a resume that has coaching gigs at the University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, Louisiana State University, Indiana University, Nebraska University, and most recently, the University of Georgia, there is little doubt Ekeler could have landed just about anywhere in the country he wanted to go.

But coaching is a job for a people person, and Littrell knew just the person to call to fill his defensive coordinator void.

His former colleague was sold — and ready to join the Mean Green.

“I’m 100 percent standing here today because of Seth Littrell,” Ekeler said. “I think he’s an unbelievable football coach and a great person. I believe in the guy.”

Despite a powerhouse pedigree featuring some of the most renowned football programs in the nation, one thing mattered above all else to Ekeler.

“I’ve worked at some of the greatest schools history-wise in the game,” Ekeler said. “But what it boils down to is people. You can be at the University of Georgia and be miserable if you’re working with shitty people. I really enjoy my work environment and the players here.”

In just six short weeks, Ekeler has turned what was the eighth-worst defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year into a stone wall in the red zone.

read more: http://ntdaily.com/new-defensive-coordinator-mike-ekeler-helping-change-the-culture-at-north-texas/
 

Up to this point he seems to be a recruiting machine!!! Beat the Eck out of Army!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on the fence with coach Ekeler since his defenses did not do well at Indiana when he was DC.  I may still be, but he's changing my mind little by little.

I like the partnership with Reffett, and I'm not sure how much of the credit for the defense goes to Ek VS Reffett.  This is Reffett's 3-man-front scheme.  I will say Ek's LBs are performing above expectations.   His charisma is magnetic though, and he has all of the guys on the defensive side of the ball completely bought-in.  That is a huge positive for him, and it's paying off in the win column.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we hired Harrell, I assumed as many of us did, that he could be the coach in waiting if Littrell was able to turn this thing around and move on.  I still really like the hire as an OC, but just don't see him as our head coach anytime in the next few years.  Just can't see the kids getting excited for him the way they do Littrell.  I certainly could see Ek taking over and the kids playing all out for him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, GreenBacker said:

When we hired Harrell, I assumed as many of us did, that he could be the coach in waiting if Littrell was able to turn this thing around and move on.  I still really like the hire as an OC, but just don't see him as our head coach anytime in the next few years.  Just can't see the kids getting excited for him the way they do Littrell.  I certainly could see Ek taking over and the kids playing all out for him. 

I think Reffett is more HC ready than Eck, but wouldn't mind either of them as they both bring unique experiences.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ekeler is so much fun to watch on the sidelines.  If you don't keep an eye out for him, you really should.  And at the last game, he was even in the offensive bench's huddle pumping those guys up.  Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, and this guy is bringing plenty of it to share.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2016 at 9:39 PM, GreenBacker said:

When we hired Harrell, I assumed as many of us did, that he could be the coach in waiting if Littrell was able to turn this thing around and move on.  I still really like the hire as an OC, but just don't see him as our head coach anytime in the next few years.  Just can't see the kids getting excited for him the way they do Littrell.  I certainly could see Ek taking over and the kids playing all out for him. 

 

On 10/18/2016 at 10:19 PM, GMG24 said:

I think Reffett is more HC ready than Eck, but wouldn't mind either of them as they both bring unique experiences.  

The reason I actually see Ekeler be a good head coach is that Reffet came on board a bit later and Ekeler was able to accept that its Reffets system, to trust in Reffet who is completely different from him personality wise, able to delegate and play the system that works with what he has instead of what he is used to. Those are the qualities of a head coach. Now how much he knows about offense, I don't know.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, outoftown said:

 

The reason I actually see Ekeler be a good head coach is that Reffet came on board a bit later and Ekeler was able to accept that its Reffets system, to trust in Reffet who is completely different from him personality wise, able to delegate and play the system that works with what he has instead of what he is used to. Those are the qualities of a head coach. Now how much he knows about offense, I don't know.

Great point... He can adapt and he wants to win, also admirable traits in a HC.  I think his most underlooked trait is his ability to recruit.  HC often times must seal the deal on a recruit and with a guy like Eck that shouldn't be too hard. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“When I met Ekeler, it was over with,” Jenkins said. “I knew I was going to play for him right away.”

 

This is all the reason I need to pay Eck a hefty sum of money to stay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 24

      Ten days out until kickoff

    2. 24

      Ten days out until kickoff

    3. 24

      Ten days out until kickoff

    4. 24

      Ten days out until kickoff

    5. 21

      RIP Mike Hickmon

  • @UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds
  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,992
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Reed C. Smith
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.