Would ARMY add to CUSA ?

greenjoe

I was looking at the ARMY schedule just now and noticed they are independent.  Would ARMY make a good conference mate in CUSA ?  And if so, would they join if offered ?  NAVY is in the American Airlines Conference and AIR FORCE is in the Mountain West.  It seems odd that only one of the military academies is not in a conference.  I'm told they draw well.  We could use the visitor boost every other year.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I was looking at the ARMY schedule just now and noticed they are independent.  Would ARMY make a good conference mate in CUSA ?  And if so, would they join if offered ?  NAVY is in the American Airlines Conference and AIR FORCE is in the Mountain West.  It seems odd that only one of the military academies is not in a conference.  I'm told they draw well.  We could use the visitor boost every other year.

Army is considered a power 5 opponent to some conferences (Big Ten, SEC), so that may complicate some things.

I think the service academies struggle with the idea of being in a conference because, unlike most schools, putting together a good schedule is not as difficult for them.  They are very much desired as an opponent.  With that said if they are not in a conference what championships can they aspire to win?  Its not like they have a shot at the NC.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

It would be a step back for them.

Meh. In the last decade they are 35-86 (and the decade before that isn't much better). Tough for me to say them going anywhere would be a step back. Army's history is there. But what's funny about their history is that at the height of the most significant war in World history they were mounting 3 "national championships" in consecutive order. I find that a little puzzling and ironic. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Yes, they would Joe.  Army is footprint-proof because they are...Army.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Graddean said:

One reason Army did so well during WWII was because their players stayed for four years.  Many colleges lost players through the draft and enlisting in the service.  

Yes, and didn't many of them halt play altogether during that period?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

I think the service academies struggle with the idea of being in a conference because, unlike most schools, putting together a good schedule is not as difficult for them.  They are very much desired as an opponent.  With that said if they are not in a conference what championships can they aspire to win?  Its not like they have a shot at the NC.  

Army plays for tradition and the hope that one day they can beat Navy again. If you happen to know any of their alumni they would take a one win season if they could just break the strangle hold that Navy has going.

Playing service academies is great for our team. I doubt that Army will join our conference but I would welcome the opportunity should it arise.

Not sure we want Navy though. The 2007 game vs Navy still hurts!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NewHampster said:

I think CUSA would be a good move for them. I realize they are a big name, but where are they now? Look at their big-time schedule...they only have five home games (two against FCS schools). And they only play three P5 schools (all on the road).

Yeah, and if you're not already kicking ass, that kind of schedule isn't doing you any favors.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I asked a West Point graduate  why Navy and Air Force are able to field competitive teams while Army has not. His answer was that our protracted wars in the middle east has deterred some athletics who otherwise might attend. Personally, I had never considered that.

Makes zero sense considering our Navy and Air Force are just as involved in the U.S. Interests around the world as the Army is.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Makes zero sense considering our Navy and Air Force are just as involved in the U.S. Interests around the world as the Army is.

Rick

Sorry Rick.....as a Navy vet I totally get what is being said.  

Deploying in the Navy for most means 6-7 months out at sea in a highly protected combat vessel well out of the reach of the average insurgent.  When the Army deploys they lead a far less comfortable deployment (on the average).  

I totally get how that could affect the number of people that are willing to attend a school like Army with the inevitable combat deployment right around the corner when they graduate.

Now as far as Army joining CUSA........ that won't happen in a thousand years.

Off topic, going through the channels and I come across the New Mexico, Air Force Game.  It is being played in the cotton bowl in front of 137 fans.  What the heck are these teams playing in the Cotton Bowl for?  Man if this counts against one of their attendance numbers it will kill them.  Anyone know why the game is being played in Dallas?

12 hours ago, wardly said:

I asked a West Point graduate  why Navy and Air Force are able to field competitive teams while Army has not. His answer was that our protracted wars in the middle east has deterred some athletics who otherwise might attend. Personally, I had never considered that.

Army has different height and weight standards. It is accurate, however not that different...

That was the reason that my West Point buddy gave me. Regardless of the reason, Army just doesn't get the athletes that the other service academies get. As a non-West Point former Officer I liked to chide my Hudson High buddies about the team, specifically the parity between Navy and Air Force, but with the streak that Navy has going I just keep my mouth shut. I had never considered the prolonged conflict(s) as a reason for the decline in the on field talent. I guess it makes as much sense as any reason. Regardless, I wish all service academies success. Not just because I am a veteran, but because I am an American.

Edited by GM1998
  • Upvote 2