MGB: UNT lands top JC QB

Brett Vito

I recall the comments being made when Mason Fine was first announced as a commit...too small, small school program, no real offers other than ours.

That signing seems pretty much A-OK now, right?

i trust Harrell's and Littrell's abilities to recruit the guys they think fit their system much more than I have in some time.  If these guys say a kid works for us, well, I am guessing he does.  I don't care a flip who else may or may not have offered nor if the size fits some arbitrary profile.  These guys are pretty good at picking the talent they think will work best here for the Mean Green!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

13 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Guys... our QB room already has no resemblance to what was here just last year... it is only going to get better now! i am so glad we have coaches that can go out and get a guy. It is a refreshing change of pace. 

I feel we need to pump the breaks a bit here. If an injury subtracts a 5-10 freshman from that room, we honestly have no clue if that QB room is much better than last season. I also feel like thee jury is still out on the new coaches and their evaluations. It looks like they hit on Mason Fine. It looks like Alec Morris was at least somewhat below expectations and Devin O'hara appears to be a complete miss. Let's call that 1-1-1. Taking an athletic Juco QB that already had no FBS offers right after he tears his ACL... lets say -whn it comes to this particular schollie, I will be in a slightly skeptical 'wait and see' mode and not in 'this staff sure knows mode'. I understand we need competition and a good backup for MF, but you never quite know how people come back from ACL tears. And what if a good QB comes open late. And will it be disuasive to potential freshman QBs hoping to play early?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Stan R said:

That last sentence...what?!

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

And what if a good QB comes open late. And will it be disuasive to potential freshman QBs hoping to play early?

Not a problem, if they pay attention when offered to what went on this year.  No reason to think they couldn't compete for the job...many of us assumed it was a lock for Alec to cover the position this year, but look what happened.  No favoritism on this staff, thankfully.  If any recruit looks at what happened this season and sees that we didn't keep Fine as a redshirt and had him take over for a 5th year senior transfer from Alabama, they'll know that they have a shot if they can out-perform the others in their position.

18 hours ago, outoftown said:

I feel we need to pump the breaks a bit here. If an injury subtracts a 5-10 freshman from that room, we honestly have no clue if that QB room is much better than last season. I also feel like thee jury is still out on the new coaches and their evaluations. It looks like they hit on Mason Fine. It looks like Alec Morris was at least somewhat below expectations and Devin O'hara appears to be a complete miss. Let's call that 1-1-1. Taking an athletic Juco QB that already had no FBS offers right after he tears his ACL... lets say -whn it comes to this particular schollie, I will be in a slightly skeptical 'wait and see' mode and not in 'this staff sure knows mode'. I understand we need competition and a good backup for MF, but you never quite know how people come back from ACL tears. And what if a good QB comes open late. And will it be disuasive to potential freshman QBs hoping to play early?

I meant that far more literally than you thought. There is only one guy still playing qb from last season and he isnt on scholarship. 

On 10/14/2016 at 0:55 PM, KRAM1 said:

I recall the comments being made when Mason Fine was first announced as a commit...too small, small school program, no real offers other than ours.

That signing seems pretty much A-OK now, right?

i trust Harrell's and Littrell's abilities to recruit the guys they think fit their system much more than I have in some time.  If these guys say a kid works for us, well, I am guessing he does.  I don't care a flip who else may or may not have offered nor if the size fits some arbitrary profile.  These guys are pretty good at picking the talent they think will work best here for the Mean Green!

I didn't think much of the Fine signing, thought it was more of the same, small town player with big numbers that usually doesn't make a big impact.  Super happy to be wrong.  

Littrell's first high school class overall though low in numbers, seems to be much more impressive in performance than in the rankings.   However, you are spinning a familiar story that has become a standard at NT over many years.   Rankings don't matter because NT's magic staff is great at finding the right under-recruited players. 

Although this theory would be great if true, I more look forward to the day that NT can competitively recruit with any G5.   I much rather see that NT beat out SMU, Tulsa, etc. than read about another recruit being hailed as a diamond in the rough, steal, or other description praising the signing of a player with few other options.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 10/14/2016 at 11:09 AM, SilverEagle said:

Has anyone paid attention to how the recent Dallas philosophy of building their team has gotten them a 4-1 record with a rookie QB starting? They have a dominating O-line.  Dual threat QB's are just what we always need here, but the guys to block for them are just as important. I'd like to hear about some outstanding Juco O-linemen coming here mid-term........preferably all-american and/or all-conference.  

Not JUCO, but...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3917007/brendon-weatherspoon

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Donovan-88671

A good start.

21 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

Man those Navarro games look entertaining. 43-42 average. 

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Absolutely. Need more big time HS Offensive Linemen like these two. Remember we signed Chandler Anthony in February who was injured in a fall scrimmage. That kid is going to be a nice player for us too.