Thankful for good APR score

THOR

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Ready to get an onslaught of down votes, but can somebody remind me, because I thought the athletic department was under performing in every aspect of what they do....

No one gives a damn about any of this. Let's be serious. It's a nice pompom chant, "yay, we have a good APR." But if you ain't producing on the field then, uh, bye. I know your ego and friendship with RV forced you to post this nonsense, but it. is. over. GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

46 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Oh geez here we go.  RV and Mac were the greatest... we know, we known. Moving on. 

Everyone has every right to be pissed at "the old guard", but there is a very good saying - Give Credit Where Credit Is Due. The academics seem to be the one area that was left in good shape. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Everyone has every right to be pissed at "the old guard", but there is a very good saying - Give Credit Where Credit Is Due. The academics seem to be the one area that was left in good shape. 

Good job Rv and Mac! Pat yoursleves on the back.  

Edited by mgfan

I don't get how or why any of you are being snarky about this or making it about new vs. old coaches and admin.  Giving our guys an education and the tools to use it is the single most important part of the program, and the reason that it exists in the first place. Can't we just be glad that it's working?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

I don't get how or why any of you are being snarky about this or making it about new vs. old coaches and admin.  Giving our guys an education and the tools to use it is the single most important part of the program, and the reason that it exists in the first place. Can't we just be glad that it's working?

Because it was brought up as a crowning moment. Which is bs. We were drug to the deepest parts of the ocean by RV from an athletic standpoint and a friend of his tries to rewrite history on his behalf by spewing craziness. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Because it was brought up as a crowning moment. Which is bs. We were drug to the deepest parts of the ocean by RV from an athletic standpoint and a friend of his tries to rewrite history on his behalf by spewing craziness. 

Oh, I can see what you mean by that now, okay.  I'm just always glad when our athletes get good grades, no matter who is in the AD.

Edited by JesseMartin

16 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Ready to get an onslaught of down votes, but can somebody remind me, because I thought the athletic department was under performing in every aspect of what they do....

Why are you doing this? What do you gain from being so passive aggressive?

Credit has been given throughout McCarney's time for improving the football team's APR after Dodge. These scores were VERY VERY poor before.

@Brett Vito especially has given them credit, and everyone here is grateful that the previous coaching staff put much more effort in preparing the student athletes for post-football life.

• Upvote 6

On October 13, 2016 at 8:46 AM, THOR said:

from the cavalcade of whimsy:

There aren’t going to be enough bowl eligible teams again, and if there are, it’s going to be really, really close. That means it’ll be up to the Academic Progress Rate again to determine which five-win teams are worthy of a post-season exhibition.

Last year, Nebraska (vs. UCLA), San Jose State (vs. Georgia State) and Minnesota (vs. Central Michigan) all stepped up and won their respective bowl games. This year, here’s the Cavalcade Top Ten Ranking of Teams With 5-7 Potential That Might Care About Their APR.

1. Duke, APR: 995
2. Northwestern, 992
3. Georgia Tech, 987
4. North Texas, 984
5. UCF, 983
6. Indiana, 979
7. Utah State, 978
8. Missouri, 978
9. Maryland, 977
10. Notre Dame, 975

not sure if we will need this ranking, but it's good to have it in our back pocket

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/cavalcade-of-whimsy-trevor-knight-heisman-locker-room-talk-lsu-florida

Too lazy to look it up, but the top 5 or 6 on that list haven't done so well on the field lately. Coincidence?

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Why are you doing this? What do you gain from being so passive aggressive?

Credit has been given throughout McCarney's time for improving the football team's APR after Dodge. These scores were VERY VERY poor before.

@Brett Vito especially has given them credit, and everyone here is grateful that the previous coaching staff put much more effort in preparing the student athletes for post-football life.

I'm sure @Cerebus will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Dickey era had a bunch of academic issues. Dodge took a step in improving that problem and under Mac it improved even more.

One of the things I've always valued about donating is when student athletes from ALL sports call me and thank me for the opportunity that I help provide.  I see the non-revenue athletes really making something of themselves and it warms my heart.  

I give credit to RV and Mac for making the football team a glowing example in the classroom.  Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really do value the student part of student athlete, even in the showcase sports.  

As to the change in AD, I hope it's a uniting move and that all of us can look forward, continue the academic success and improve the on field product without sacrificing the school aspect of it.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

One of the things I've always valued about donating is when student athletes from ALL sports call me and thank me for the opportunity that I help provide.  I see the non-revenue athletes really making something of themselves and it warms my heart.  

I give credit to RV and Mac for making the football team a glowing example in the classroom.  Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really do value the student part of student athlete, even in the showcase sports.  

As to the change in AD, I hope it's a uniting move and that all of us can look forward, continue the academic success and improve the on field product without sacrificing the school aspect of it.  

You're not alone!

Most of these guys/gals are not going pro in the sport they play.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Well, if you don't want to give credit to RV or Mac give it to Cinnamon Sheffield.  She's probably the driving force behind the great APR.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

We were so bad we lost scholarships under Dodge.  I guess it was under McCarney that things got much better.  Not sure if credit should go to McCarney or RV finally figuring this out. 

Ancient history and nitpicking, but the scholarships lost under Dodge were due to underperforming during the previous coaching regime.  Dodge actually did a good job bringing APR up, and Mac did better.

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/cinnamon_sheffield_848272.html

She's overseen academics and NCAA eligibility for the last 15 years. It is one of the few areas of the old guard that wasn't actually atrocious. If we're gonna give credit where credit is due, give it to this woman. 

And I think we can give RV credit for hiring and retaining her.

• Upvote 4