Thankful for good APR score

THOR

46 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

So 5-7 and we could get a bowl!!!! LETS GO!  

Imagine how much our kids can grow in the offense and really solidify a defensive scheme with the extra practice time that comes with making a bowl game.  Who cares who the opponent maybe, just another chance to watch my Mean Green.  The extra time that the kids get to practice has to pay dividends in the long run.

definitely pays dividends for the freshman and redshirts as well as sophomores.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

definitely pays dividends for the freshman and redshirts as well as sophomores.  

Now what I do not know is does this extra practice time not allow our coaches to go out and recruit?  Like does making a bowl game take some recruiting time away?  (Was it designed as an attempt to let the less victorious teams get an early jump on recruiting??)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Now what I do not know is does this extra practice time not allow our coaches to go out and recruit?  Like does making a bowl game take some recruiting time away?  (Was it designed as an attempt to let the less victorious teams get an early jump on recruiting??)

The bowl season is a dead period for recruiting, so coaches aren't allowed to make contact with recruits.  

2 minutes ago, meangreen15 said:

The bowl season is a dead period for recruiting, so coaches aren't allowed to make contact with recruits.  

So that whole "help the non-bowl teams" not only doesn't happen, the system is designed so the non-bowl teams can't take advantage of the bowl coaches being too busy to recruit. 

One of the things we share with SMU is going to a bowl with a losing record. While everyone laughs, going to the bowl is still better for a program than not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

A bowl game IS a recruiting tool

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

iyam your recruiting should be done by that point, save for that scholly or 2 that you're saving for the surprise recruit that falls through the cracks.

7 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

So 5-7 and we could get a bowl!!!! LETS GO!  

Imagine how much our kids can grow in the offense and really solidify a defensive scheme with the extra practice time that comes with making a bowl game.  Who cares who the opponent maybe, just another chance to watch my Mean Green.  The extra time that the kids get to practice has to pay dividends in the long run.

Somebody on here linked to a study a few years ago that showed statistically significant improvement from "cusp" teams (those around .500) the season after bowl games, even if they lost their bowls.  The extra practice time, especially for young teams, is a huge opportunity to improve during what is normally a "dead period."

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

It you follow the link, the article mentions Harvard is 979 so we are ahead of them. 

Anyone found a simple explaination of APR because I've forget exactly what it is. 

I don't remember the exact formula...somebody here shared a link to that a while back as well.  If I recall correctly, it's something like an amalgam of GPA, graduation rate, and academic progress (on track to graduate, not on academic probation, etc.).  I think there are a couple of non-academic factors included as well.  But this just gives us another reason to be proud that our program treats our athletes as students first and tries to ensure their success in the classroom translates to a career in the field of their choice after graduation...especially since we actually graduate such a high percentage of them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, THOR said:

from the cavalcade of whimsy:

There aren’t going to be enough bowl eligible teams again, and if there are, it’s going to be really, really close. That means it’ll be up to the Academic Progress Rate again to determine which five-win teams are worthy of a post-season exhibition.

Last year, Nebraska (vs. UCLA), San Jose State (vs. Georgia State) and Minnesota (vs. Central Michigan) all stepped up and won their respective bowl games. This year, here’s the Cavalcade Top Ten Ranking of Teams With 5-7 Potential That Might Care About Their APR.

1. Duke, APR: 995
2. Northwestern, 992
3. Georgia Tech, 987
4. North Texas, 984
5. UCF, 983
6. Indiana, 979
7. Utah State, 978
8. Missouri, 978
9. Maryland, 977
10. Notre Dame, 975

not sure if we will need this ranking, but it's good to have it in our back pocket

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/cavalcade-of-whimsy-trevor-knight-heisman-locker-room-talk-lsu-florida

Ready to get an onslaught of down votes, but can somebody remind me, because I thought the athletic department was under performing in every aspect of what they do....

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 12

2 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Ready to get an onslaught of down votes, but can somebody remind me, because I thought the athletic department was under performing in every aspect of what they do....

That was under RV. I am not sure if you heard..... we got a new AD. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

We were so bad we lost scholarships under Dodge.  I guess it was under McCarney that things got much better.  Not sure if credit should go to McCarney or RV finally figuring this out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1