Why not a State Fair game for North Texas?

TripleGrad

The Cotton Bowl hosts 3 football games during the fair:  the Grambling game, the Texas/OU game, and the Air Force game.  Maybe North Texas should look into an annual showcase against UTSA or UTEP at the Cotton Bowl during the last weekend of the fair. I'm sure we'd have to find a game sponsor to pay the stadium bill, but we might get some better coverage and could build a regional rivalry.

Thoughts?

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 5

my thought is that we built Apogee to keep from having to go out of town to play people.  we were told that building a new modern stadium we would get the type of opponent in Denton that other G5 schools are able to get.  We haven't gotten that but the notion that we'd pack up and play a "home" game on the road just doesn't pass the "say what " test.  I can't imagine the articles and the protests of people that would remind us why we closed a golf course and built the best stadium in the country.  Only to play a marquee game 35 miles down the road. 

The only way I want North Texas in the Cotton Bowl is if we're in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.  Please put me in the "no thank you" column.

Beat Army next week.  Then, beat the rest of our schedule.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

What confuses me about the opposition to this idea is that everyone says that we want to build into a big-time football program...they all have great big modern stadiums, but many play a neutral site game every year.  So...we want to grow to be considered in their league, and we're going to do that by doing some of the things that they do, but not other things that they do?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The day we can fit 90k+ in a stadium is the day we can maybe consider something like this.  The Cotton Bowl is way way big. We had what 38-40k for the HoD Bowl and the amount of emptiness of the stadium was still extremely much.  That said we don't need a State Fair game.  We're just 30-45 minutes north of the fair and if you don't want to drive you can even get there via the rail. 

Let's try to sell out Apogee first and keep on winning and building momentum.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, drex said:

No Cotton ever unless it's a bowl game.

Yes Huff, we have been there--done that!  NEVER AGAIN!  

Total bad experience, but we did get to hear a post game show with comic Elmer Phudpucker, TG "Party Time" Sheppard, Kitty "Honky Tonk Angels" Wells & Carl Perkins.  That day ranks as one of the worst Mean Green memories for more than a few of us on this forum. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This would be the only way I would even consider it.

Same here. Not a fan of it. We haven't had a sellout in a 30,850 seat stadium yet. Unless it's for the HOD I'm not interested. What does interest me is seeing what kind of draw we could get this year in that stadium if we were to make it this year while playing a big10 school. 

• Upvote 2

I understand the historical dissent.  Respectfully that was a long time ago.  Keep in mind, tho we had an amazing crowd for that 2014 HOD game.  I believe many of the attendees were alumni who for whatever reason will not make it to Apogee.  We need to keep a Dallas bridge in place that feeds our alumni back to Denton.  I think the State Fair is such a great backdrop and there are so many DFW alumni who wI'll make at least one trip to the fair every year.  Why not try to rope them into a Football game at a fraction of the price of Texas OU?  UNT is trying to build its presence in Dallas and we have UNT Dallas and the Law school now.  The opponent would be the key...needs to be someone who will bring people.  Frankly Oklahoma State is a different program now and would bring a lot more fans than they did back when we played them before.