Terian Goree

Ben Gooding

Just trying to get some insight on him. He has 22 receptions for 194 yards for a 8.8 ypr. I'm not paying heavy attention to what teams are doing to him, but are safeties cheating to his side and is that leaving room for Thompson? Or has his legs just not caught up to the speed of the game quite yet? This guy was arguably our 2014 class gem and it's just not adding up. Now granted, he still has 2 more years with us after this year so his time in the limelight may still be ahead of him. Just skimming over the boxscore of tonights game and there is no Goree in it, and I noticed in the game tonight he was not being active. He was targeted a couple times early on go routes that had bad ball placement, but outside of that he wasn't involved. It's just a question with little info I suppose. I think having him breakout a little bit could help tremendously with the inconsistencies in the passing game we seemingly have from time to time. Imagine having his production up around with Thompson right now. This offense would turn into something lethal quickly. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

Just now, BigDanTeague said:

He had nine catches for 100 yards vs. Middle.

He'll be fine.

Yeah, and 94 yards over the other 5 games combined. For a 3rd year player that was destined to grow into a major offensive role, that is not fine. And to note, the large majority of those 100 yards vs Middle came when the game was no longer in doubt. I am not harping on the guy, I am just wondering if teams are putting their top cover player on him and with that is it freeing up Thompson to have consistent productivity? Just trying to bring a little clarity to something that is not making much sense. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

It could have been predicted that Goree would not have a good game against Marshall.  They like to play press with the DBs and get physical with the receivers.  That does not suit Goree's game at the moment.  If you play off of him and allow him to use his speed then he can hurt you but if you get physical with him he tends to shrink (imo).

ETA: Not to dump on Goree.  He has strengths as evidenced by his play this year.  It just so happens that dealing with physical corners is not a current strength of his.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually, there were two long sideline passes to him early in the game.  Obviously, the coaching staff thinks he is a weapon.  He doesn't have great speed, but seems very athletic; believe he will continue to improve;.  

On 10/9/2016 at 2:12 AM, Ben Gooding said:

Just trying to get some insight on him. He has 22 receptions for 194 yards for a 8.8 ypr. I'm not paying heavy attention to what teams are doing to him, but are safeties cheating to his side and is that leaving room for Thompson? Or has his legs just not caught up to the speed of the game quite yet? This guy was arguably our 2014 class gem and it's just not adding up. Now granted, he still has 2 more years with us after this year so his time in the limelight may still be ahead of him. Just skimming over the boxscore of tonights game and there is no Goree in it, and I noticed in the game tonight he was not being active. He was targeted a couple times early on go routes that had bad ball placement, but outside of that he wasn't involved. It's just a question with little info I suppose. I think having him breakout a little bit could help tremendously with the inconsistencies in the passing game we seemingly have from time to time. Imagine having his production up around with Thompson right now. This offense would turn into something lethal quickly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Chalk it up to scheme.

Goree was making his corner look silly in the MTSU game.

Frequently, Thompson and Buyer's positions (the Y and A) are some of the first reads based on defensive keys, as their routes sometimes are designed to exploit soft parts of defenses behind linebackers and/or in front of DBs.

Those routes develop much quicker than a go route, for instance. Also, when Fine is running around for his life, the deep stuff gets nixed. And finally, they've been having trouble connecting (or even trying) the deep ball along the sidelines. Most of the big pass plays have occurred over the middle.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Goree should be one of the fastest players on the team.  If I had to guess, low 4.5, high 4.4 40.

I don't want to get into the accuracy  of most reported 40 times.   However, if Goree runs a 4.4 than most dbs covering him must be in the 4.3 range; because he is on most plays not getting any separation.      

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2016 at 8:31 PM, sgmthompson said:

I can see your concern regarding Goree.  In my opinion his routes must be stronger.

Actually if you look at the game film, Thompson is getting the double coverage on the inside.

Yes Sir. I agree with you about Goree and will even throw Okeeron Rutherford into the same category. This is their 3rd year in the program and they aren't noticably stronger, faster, or bigger than they were when they got here. It really makes me question the nutrition program here that these guys aren't maturing at the expected pace, even for naturally skinny dudes. 

42 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do we move around Goree? As in does he play Slot and outside and even flip sides? If we don't may wanna try it and have him get lined up against LBs and S. Another would be to bring him in motion so he isn't dealing with press nonstop. 

They do this with Thompson quite a bit. Maybe the should do it with Goree some. Maybe put Goree in a stack look, which I think Ive seen a few times. Something to elevate his production to that of Thad Thompson. 

This may help Goree get into the flow of the game and could help us moving around guys as well... Also about Goree and the WRs, i have noticed they have seem to still be thin but also they have to adjust to the routes and that in this system, not sure how different it is for them but we are moving from a run scheme to a spread scheme.. Also, I wonder how many of the routes we are are designed or if it something based on what the defense is doing in terms of coverage.