How is Attendance?

UNTLifer

The attendance was horrible. Marshall is a marquee name in our conference. I don't care what game was played where at. I don't care about the country bumpkin fair in ridden Fair Park. None of that matters. What I care about is that maybe one of the most recognizable names in our conference came to our stadium for a night game on what turned out to be a beautiful night and our alum are sitting on their couch somewhere probably repping a dumb gigem shirt celebrating with people that actually went to that school. I know we have sucked in the past. More than I would like to recall. But this was a marquee night home game. It's shameful. I guess it is what it is, but it was pitiful looking at the stands. 

*Students were loud as usual, but they too even had a lighter than usual showing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The attendance was horrible. Marshall is a marquee name in our conference. I don't care what game was played where at. I don't care about the country bumpkin fair in ridden Fair Park. None of that matters. What I care about is that maybe one of the most recognizable names in our conference came to our stadium for a night game on what turned out to be a beautiful night and our alum are sitting on their couch somewhere probably repping a dumb gigem shirt celebrating with people that actually went to that school. I know we have sucked in the past. More than I would like to recall. But this was a marquee night home game. It's shameful. I guess it is what it is, but it was pitiful looking at the stands. 

*Students were loud as usual, but they too even had a lighter than usual showing. 

Having followed and admire the Marshall program I was also shocked at the turn out. They may be the most recognizable names in Cusa! I kinda felt honored to have Marshall at the Ap! GMG 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mgfan said:

After the little fight, the crowd was so loud I couldn't hear the ref on the mic.

Apogee is designed to channel sound down to the field and it does a great job.  I was on the sidelines for the opening game against UH and it was so loud my shirt was vibrating.   

Never got near that loud at Fouts.  

I remember running onto the field to warm up before the Plano - Plano East game back in 1988.  John Clark Field was packed and the in warm ups you could feel the ground shaking.  I'd imagine Apogee would be similar with a packed house.  

For the record, half the crowd got quiet at my game as we beat Plano 26-0. 

Overall the crowd was light but not really surprised tbh.  The club area seemed to be a little more happening than normal in the start of teh game but maybe it's just me.  Another thing I noticed from the club was the game was still close/tied in the 2nd half and it suddenly started clearing out quick with people leaving early.  It was really weird to see and kinda disappointing.

As we pulled into the blue lot there were Denton PD officers looking in cars. An officer took a drivers license from someone in the truck in front of us and kept it. She looked to have about a dozen in her hand already. She waved us through. Last week there was talk about a crackdown on student drinking. Was there an incident that prompted this?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Best game of the season so far.  Worst attendance of the season so far.  

I kept looking into my wife's hair. There were no crickets there, but she thought I was looking at some.  

Great at game Mean Green.  Take a break.  Beat Army.

GO MEAN GREEN

38 minutes ago, chomp said:

This was the first game that I have made it to this season and I have to say, I was really impressed with the student section at last night's game. It was the most involved that I have seen them in a game in a long time. Once we moved from our initial dead stadium section to the student side, it was a lot more fun. Heck, my wife actually wants to go to another game, which is a minor miracle.

One minor point that I don't understand, since UNT really wants to draw newcomers to games, why doesn't the display board show the words to the alma mater/fight song when it is being sung? For newbies, you feel kind of like an idiot just standing there, wanting to support the team, but having no idea what the words being sung are. One of the biggest traditions at my alma mater is singing our fight song at the end of the 3rd quarter while the crowd sways. Even though that is an old tradition, the words still are displayed for people to follow along. It seems like a trivial thing, but anything to get people more involved would seem useful.

This is really needed.

Even the fifth-year seniors need the help in this arena... at least for the alma mater.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chomp said:

This was the first game that I have made it to this season and I have to say, I was really impressed with the student section at last night's game. It was the most involved that I have seen them in a game in a long time. Once we moved from our initial dead stadium section to the student side, it was a lot more fun. Heck, my wife actually wants to go to another game, which is a minor miracle.

One minor point that I don't understand, since UNT really wants to draw newcomers to games, why doesn't the display board show the words to the alma mater/fight song when it is being sung? For newbies, you feel kind of like an idiot just standing there, wanting to support the team, but having no idea what the words being sung are. One of the biggest traditions at my alma mater is singing our fight song at the end of the 3rd quarter while the crowd sways. Even though that is an old tradition, the words still are displayed for people to follow along. It seems like a trivial thing, but anything to get people more involved would seem useful.

9715gCK.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

It sure didn't seem like there were that many in attendance. There were a LOT of empty seats in my area that are normally occupied...always.

It felt a lot closer to Butt-Cookman's 15,609.  The tailgate scene also seemed to be the most sparsely-attended, least-energized of the year so far. I am a positive supporter but those are the facts as I sensed and observed them.

Edited by EagleMBA

Going to be a lot of people sorry they missed seeing that game.  But, of course, they will claim they were there in numbers that would have made it a sellout.  Great effort over a "name" team within our own conference.  People say if we bring in name teams fans will show up.  Well, so much for that theory.  Sure, Marshall isn't a Big XII or SEC team, but they are most certainly a "name" team folks recognize.  Heck, they even have that "we Are Marshall" movie thing going for them.  Alas, a very small crowd.

But, I had a great time.  Saw a great game.  Met some new folks. And even Got accused in the tailgate area of stealing some guy's beer out of his cooler....I had one of my Yuenglings and the guy had some himself...actually came up to me and said "You steal that beer out of my cooler?  I can tell because I have counted them".  Ha!  Told the guy it was mine and that I did not need to steal beer at tailgates.  Geeezzzzzzz...a first, but since he was wearing Mean Green and not Marshall green, all was good.  But, guy needs to work on his first impressions!  

Great football weather as well.  Hard to understand Mean Green fans who chose to not come to this game.  But, is what it is.  Those that cared enough and were available and close enough to come showed up.  As the team is growing into a winner, our fan base is doing the same.  Keep winning and they will come.  Bandwagon or not...we need 'em.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4