When do we go to a bowl game?

oldguystudent

When do we go to a bowl game?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What year does our beloved UNT make it back to a bowl game?

• This year, baby!
    • Buicks and Diet Coke RULE! Harumph!

Lamar & Army at home ,w/ SMU & Iowa on the road. .. Best case I say 3-1 , but will go with 2-2

west part of the schedule should stay the same , so Rice , UTSA & UTEP all at home. That's 3 winnable right there. Let's just say we go 3-2 vs west next season 

east part should be totally different. I know for certainty we play ODU. probably also get  Charlotte  & hopefully one of the F_U's.. I say 2-1

alot of talent coming back , more favorable schedule... Bowling in 2017, I guarantee it !  

Edited by @UNTSportsFan
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Lamar & Army at home ,w/ SMU & Iowa on the road. .. Best case I say 3-1 , but will go with 2-2

west part of the schedule should stay the same , so Rice , UTSA & UTEP all at home. That's 3 winnable right there. Let's just say we go 3-2 vs west next season 

east part should be totally different. I know for certainty we play ODU. probably also get  Charlotte  & hopefully one of the F_U's.. I say 2-1

alot of talent coming back , more favorable schedule... Bowling in 2017, I guarantee it !  

Yeah, after getting fairly hosed in our schedule the past two seasons, I imagine they must give us a much softer schedule next year. Improved team + improved philosophy + improved schedule will probably = 6 wins. And that's all it takes...

• Upvote 1

So much depends on how we look at the end of this year.

If we are still struggling on offense, that suggests two very troubling scenarios:

1. We don't have the right people to play SL's offense, and even worse...
  2. maybe this staff doesn't know how to maximize what it has.

If by the end of the year we are a solid CUSA offense, then with the first real recruiting class and another year of time in this system we can probably realistically hope for a bowl game next year.

If by the end of the year we still have long runs of 3 and out series... it's looking grim for next year.  

Question: if Brice English is as advertised and we develop hambone and some others as well as reel in another juco or two for a LB or d line spot, is there any reason to believe a really dominant defense couldn't alone get us to bowl eligibility next year? Obviously they can't just play full games but if we do get these the easier side of c-usa next year, would a really dominant defense be enough?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTexas said:

It will happen when we have an o-line that can do its job.

Yup.  But with our schedule this year, and the teams that aren't as hot as they normally are, I think there's an off chance we get into one of the lower bowls if we swing a couple of wins over teams that are considered only marginally better than ours.  As of right now, I'd give us about a 50% chance to make one this season.  If we don't, yet show even moderate improvement for next year, I'd expect us to almost certainly pull in 6 wins then.  I still only really expect 4 or 5 wins this year and 1 or 2 more next year, but if we can squeak out a couple of close ones and execute properly (unlike what happened against MT), I could see us getting eligible both seasons.  I only hope that if we do, we don't draw a really good team that just got bumped down due to having other teams in their conference overachieve in either season.  I wouldn't expect us to be a giant-killer in a bowl in either season, but if we land another "barely made it by the skin of their teeth" team, we could win one (or at least make it competitive).

Today is obviously important. I really think we are in one of those down years of CUSA like in 2013, and could capitalize to go bowling. I think LaTech beating WKU and UTSA beating SoMiss prove the discrepancy in talent isn't large this season. I think MTSU is the best in the conference and we hung with them for a good long time..