Army game....

westdorm528

The game day ferry sounds very cool...like a floating tailgate with a beautiful view.  But it looks like the trade off is that you won't be in time for the parade and won't have time to check out the campus. The ferry will arrive around 11 am and leaves 45 minutes after the game.  

Its hard to prepare for their wishbone...this year Army has no turnovers until the Buffalo game...they beat a good Temple team...Monken the coach is good...he is using his fullback 75% of the time...they have 2 good qbs... Bradshaw has done a great job protecting the ball...but Carter the soph can throw it....he is the kid last year that almost beat Navy when Bradshaw was hurt...there defense is pretty solid,kicking game is bad...but their 6'5 WR Poe is out and could be out for the North Texas game...Army has Duke this week and they just beat Notre Dame 2 weeks ago but lost to UVA last week...NT needs to keep Army's offense off the field...Knights can eat up the clock..... I wrote Littrell and told him to make sure NT wear  some warm clothes.... a few years back the last time NT came to the Point they were in short sleeves and freezing.. I had a field pass and could see everyone shivering....I felt like asking our coach{ I forgot his name} do you want me to drive down to Newburg's Wallmart and buy some sweat shirts....all the NT players had were these thin raincoats... Army won 28-14 I think....lets hope NT stays close to Marshall...this is a down year for them...esp on defense...Akron and Louisville scored 65 and 59 pts on them...I can see Louisville scoring that many but not the Zips...

• Upvote 3

We had our 1st frost last night here in the Hudson Valley.... leaves are looking pretty good....about 1/3 of the trees have turned its color...its possible in two weeks we could be at 100%.....if you never saw the fall around here you are in for a big surprise....it is beyond stunning....Michie is surrounded by trees,hills and a lake...before the game you can see the reflection of the trees off the lake....there isn't a football stadium in the country that is more beautiful in the fall......you want to make sure your inside the stadium when the corp arrive...its awesome to watch them march in..they don't march in but run in..with their battalion flags....if you are outside when the corp come in you have to wait..so get your seat early.....with the band playing,American flag waving as the captain of the team runs on to the field to get goose bumps and have to cheer for Army....but for the 1st time in many years once the kickoff starts its " Go Mean Green"...

Also the Army skydivers from 10,000 feet above us all land on the 50 yd line and deliver the game ball....these guys hit the 50 every game...the joke around the Point is Army's record the past few years has been 2-10 last yr,4-8,3-9,2-10 and 3-9....if the Black Night skydivers can hit the 50 yd line 10,000 feet why can't Army complete a freak'in pass in the past 6 years...

Will update you guys going to the game....don't forget...dress warm...heavy sweatshirt and a beanie cap for the ears....don't need gloves yet until November......

The parade starts at 9.00am....get there at 8.30 so you can sit in the stands...parade is outstanding...its a 12.00 game so that is good..don't have to wait outside that long...from the parade to kill some time go over to the Thayer Hotel at the entrance...its awesome to walk around.....

Edited by westdorm528
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, westdorm528 said:

We had our 1st frost last night here in the Hudson Valley.... leaves are looking pretty good....about 1/3 of the trees have turned its color...its possible in two weeks we could be at 100%.....if you never saw the fall around here you are in for a big surprise....it is beyond stunning....Michie is surrounded by trees,hills and a lake...before the game you can see the reflection of the trees off the lake....there isn't a football stadium in the country that is more beautiful in the fall......you want to make sure your inside the stadium when the corp arrive...its awesome to watch them march in..they don't march in but run in..with their battalion flags....if you are outside when the corp come in you have to wait..so get your seat early.....with the band playing,American flag waving as the captain of the team runs on to the field to get goose bumps and have to cheer for Army....but for the 1st time in many years once the kickoff starts its " Go Mean Green"...

Also the Army skydivers from 10,000 feet above us all land on the 50 yd line and deliver the game ball....these guys hit the 50 every game...the joke around the Point is Army's record the past few years has been 2-10 last yr,4-8,3-9,2-10 and 3-9....if the Black Night skydivers can hit the 50 yd line 10,000 feet why can't Army complete a freak'in pass in the past 6 years...

Will update you guys going to the game....don't forget...dress warm...heavy sweatshirt and a beanie cap for the ears....don't need gloves yet until November......

The parade starts at 9.00am....get there at 8.30 so you can sit in the stands...parade is outstanding...its a 12.00 game so that is good..don't have to wait outside that long...from the parade to kill some time go over to the Thayer Hotel at the entrance...its awesome to walk around.....

Thanks for the info. How long is the review on the plain? We are definitely taking that in.

Also, is there a way to catch a bus or golf cart over to where the UNT tailgate is. I've got an older person with me who can't walk to it. Trying to decide if we should go to the UNT tailgate or not. Will not if we can't catch something since it looks like about a 1 mile walk from the plain.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

12 hours ago, westdorm528 said:

West Dorm Room 528....what a shocker...18 yrs old from NY....it wasn't the nicest dorm until I met my wife..she was in Bruce Hall....my 2nd year moved to Kerr...it was like the Hilton Hotel compared to West Dorm.....then Esquire Apts right next to West Dorm....

My freshman year, 1969.....

North Texas basketball team goes 14-0 at home in the Pit.....beats Louisville 78-60 ranked 9th in the country..Steve Ramsey breaks 7 NCAA passing records....Ronnie Shanklin breaks 2 records....Mean Joe has graduated the year before but Cedric " nasty"Hardman gets drafted by SF in 1st round.... Phyliss George becomes Miss America.....and I go to a small coffee house down by Fry Street one night... a group called Shiloh is playing...they sound pretty good....lead singer isn't to bad.... a year later that lead singer formed a band in California....it was the Eagles and the lead singer was a guy named Don Henley......he was going to NT.....and then in the 1 o'clock lab band the saxophone player is awesome..saw him 2 times once at the UB building....he became pretty famous... Lou " sweet" Marino of the Blues Brothers...

I go back to NY for the summer....tell everybody all this and they think I'm lying...." they ask " are you going back for your soph. year..hell yes....I love NTSU   lol

What a post! ?:wow:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the nice comments....the parade is about an hour maybe a little under....not sure where the NT tailgate is...is it on the softball fields across from the Thayer...that is where so many put up their tents and tailgate...its across from the bowling alley with the post office on the right...my friends tailgate in some of the parking lots above the stadium......pretty sure visiting teams tailgate on the softball fields....are groups meeting...i would like to stop by and say hello...they do have buses that run 24-7 at the end of the field up to the stadium....they also have small handicap buses that run  up the hill in front of the Post office....up to the stadium....the walk up is not too bad but you are are walking uphill...when the game is over just walk down... don't wait for buses..walking down feels good....MeanGreen Hoops they do have yellow school handicap buses..but they leave from the Post Office....how are you getting to the softball field? once at the softball field then its easy....one of my best friends a retired NYC detective drove the bus for years but his bus company lost the contract this year.. I'll ask him tomorrow for more information...but let me know where the NT tailgate sets up.....the visiting teams fan sits in zone 2,3 or 4 I think..its in the end zone...my buddy is the PA announcer and is sending me a ticket....you would think he would give me a 50 line yd seat....but because I talk so much "smack" about North Texas he's putting me in zone 2,3 or 4....I'd rather be with my Mean Green people then the 50 yd line....hmm.. maybe not...lol.. we better beat the Black Nights..

• Upvote 2

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 10:06 PM, westdorm528 said:

met my girlfriend my jr year from Paris,Texas in front of Kerr Hall.....married her a few years later.....married 41 years with 3 daughters,one son and two grandchildren...thank god I met here that night in front of the dorm

Also met my wife in front of Kerr Hall.

Eastwood...that is pretty funny....have been married 41 years....thank god I almost failed anatomy that year.... needed to get my grade point up because i had such a low draft number...student deferment  had to be above a 2.0... I got a D in anatomy and it was a 4 credit course...so I enrolled in 1st session summer school and Kerr was the only dorm open in the summer....I had to go to Dallas and get my Army physical....then I met my wife and for the next 2 years my grade point went up to almost 3.0 .....and to think I became a High School Principal...lol

Graddean...not sure about Ellis..name sounds so familiar...did he have a  handicap son....our dorm director at West had his family live there too... 

17 hours ago, westdorm528 said:

Thanks for the nice comments....the parade is about an hour maybe a little under....not sure where the NT tailgate is...is it on the softball fields across from the Thayer...that is where so many put up their tents and tailgate...its across from the bowling alley with the post office on the right...my friends tailgate in some of the parking lots above the stadium......pretty sure visiting teams tailgate on the softball fields....are groups meeting...i would like to stop by and say hello...they do have buses that run 24-7 at the end of the field up to the stadium....they also have small handicap buses that run  up the hill in front of the Post office....up to the stadium....the walk up is not too bad but you are are walking uphill...when the game is over just walk down... don't wait for buses..walking down feels good....MeanGreen Hoops they do have yellow school handicap buses..but they leave from the Post Office....how are you getting to the softball field? once at the softball field then its easy....one of my best friends a retired NYC detective drove the bus for years but his bus company lost the contract this year.. I'll ask him tomorrow for more information...but let me know where the NT tailgate sets up.....the visiting teams fan sits in zone 2,3 or 4 I think..its in the end zone...my buddy is the PA announcer and is sending me a ticket....you would think he would give me a 50 line yd seat....but because I talk so much "smack" about North Texas he's putting me in zone 2,3 or 4....I'd rather be with my Mean Green people then the 50 yd line....hmm.. maybe not...lol.. we better beat the Black Nights..

Thanks for the info. They are having the tailgate at Buffalo Soldier Field which when I looked up on Google Maps shows it's a 1.1 mile walk from the plain. Do those buses run down to Buffalo Soldier Field from where the parade is? Thanks again for the info.

Mean Green..... Buffalo Soldier Field is the softball field I was talking about....over to the North side you can see the Post Office...in front of the Post office is where all the buses line up..you will see them...you will also see some small school buses for the handicap... On the softball field is where I see many of the visiting teams tailgating...it is called Buffalo Soldier Field.....they have port -a potties out there...but if you want to go to a bathroom there is the bowling alley right there or you can walk over to the Thayer Hotel and they have nice bathrooms...got into the high 30's last night...had to put my defroster on this morning in my car....Army plays Lafayette tomorrow....Laf is 1-5 and just got crushed by Fordham....Fordham has one of the best running backs in the country in Chase Edmonds....he will be  a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the NFL....he gained 360 yds vs Lafayette last week......think Army rolls big after losing 2 in a row....hopefully they win big so the Cadets will have "big heads" all week...if they win big think they will take North Texas somewhat lightly.....Army has Wake Forest away and Air Force and Notre Dame up next.....they do need the North Texas win to be bowl eligible......

I know North Texas had a bye week so they can prepare for the wishbone.....but can the NT defense stop the rushing attack.....think NT offense can move the ball vs the Army defense....but you can prepare for a month and have no idea how to stop it... Army opened up with a good Temple team.Temple had the whole summer to prepare for their opening game....and Army just ran all over them......

how are the NT's linebackers....? its not their speed or how athletic they are......its reading the offense......almost every team Army plays are bigger,stronger,quicker and more athletic.....and they still run over you.....

• Upvote 2

Mean Green Hoops....talked to my buddy this morning at breakfast...go over to where the lines start to go up to the stadium{ in front of Post Office} You will see lines of people waiting to get on the buses...go over to one of the workers that has on an orange vest with a radio....you will see a whole bunch of them...tell him you need a bus for a wheelchair....they then radio a special bus..in about 5 minutes one will arrive... you can walk over from where your tailgating and say ' can I have a bus in 10 minutes,etc....Talk to the bus driver about where to go when the game is over...I'm sure its gets crowded and there is a meeting point....

The Good News....... fall foliage here is almost at 85% peak....not sure if you guys understand that fully...by next Saturday it could be up to 90-95%.....we are a little late because usually by Columbus Day we are peaking here in Orange County....but we have had no rain which I guess causes a delay.....you people going to the game will get to see bright orange,light red,bright yellow,dark red,caramel, brown and green...bring your camera's....the ones coming up the river on the ferry will get a spectacular view....the nice thing about my view is that I'm sitting right in front of a bay window typing this here...think I got the colors right....hope to see a few of you next week... Go Mean Green..

• Upvote 2

Some gameday last minute info..

Dpending on what time you get there...go to the parade if possible...its starts at 9.00 am..maybe lasts 30 to 40 minutes..its parents weekend so it should be pretty crowded.....soldier field is where the tailgate tents are set up...the Thayer Hotel is pretty close to that..go see that if you have time...outside the main gate { Thayer} is the Pershing Museum...that is pretty cool...the bookstore is right in front of that...they have a visitors center right there...get to see a regular cadet room and a quick movie...you can get a map of the Point there....Trophy Point is right near where the parade is held....Taylor Hall is pretty nice...you can see the Gothic architecture style...not sure if they allow anyone in Washington Hall mess hall....its unreal that has 5 or 6 wings of halls of tables....think about 4,000 can be seated to eat....there is the chapel that is beautiful......think you have to walk up the hill to see it.....the Cemetery  has a visiting office to get info...you can do a  walking tour...there are so many other things you can do.... just make sure your in the stadium by 11.30......when the cadet corp come marching { running} in they don't allow you cross over them so you get stuck outside.....you don't want that......watch for the  sky divers to deliver the ball to the 50 yds line.....listen for one of the best fight songs around....you can be a visitor and still get goose bumps " On Brave Old Army Team"....Army has about 3 or 4 fight songs......you are probably in zone 2,3 or 4 in the end zone.....its a great view especially when Army kick offs to start the game....North Texas runs it back for a touchdown and we are up 7-0......have a great time...enjoy the foliage.....  weather here has been in the 80's....unreal......not sure about Saturday so wear a sweatshirt..it could get a little  cold... to catch the the buses to Michie from Soldier field you will see them to your right...across the post office....they do a pretty good job moving people......its a nice walk if you can.....its uphill but not bad.......when the game is over the walk down..it feels nice..

Edited by westdorm528
  • Upvote 2