Attendance

mgfan

We may make 20k....people have heard of marshall...first time for the to be here in conference...hoping for perfect weather

But we shouldn't have to rely on opponents to bring out fans...it's our school...not the opponents

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, THOR said:

We may make 20k....people have heard of marshall...first time for the to be here in conference...hoping for perfect weather

But we shouldn't have to rely on opponents to bring out fans...it's our school...not the opponents

This could not be more true. 

3 hours ago, THOR said:

Ideally this is should be the case.  But when your team is known not to beat many opponents who come to town then you have to depend on those other factors to get fans in the seat especially in a market with some many other things going on.  Balloon Festival, Grape Fest, and now this week State Fair.  This team need to achieve regular mediocrity at with a 50% winning percentage to hold fans accountable.  My kids would rather go to Euless Trinity Highschool football games instead of Mean Green games.  Hard to convince them to come when the team is regularly not competitive with teams they never heard of when they come to town.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I thought MTSU would travel better though, especially for an old rivalry.

It's a long and expensive roadtrip.

You either have to pay for air travel, or you take Friday off, stay in a hotel Friday night and Saturday night, and then burn up all of Sunday driving back.

I've made the trip several times and we've never taken a huge crowd their either.  

The main bonus of getting into CUSA (for me) was the addition of the Texas schools.  Shorter roadtrips.  Except for UTEP, they might as well be in Arizona.  Ruston is only about 4:30 away compared to Lafayette 6:30.  Jonesboro was deceptively far away(7:30).  

A lot of visiting fans in reality are living in the metroplex.   However, there are probably few from the Eastern side of the conference.  By the way, NT doesn't exactly travel a lot of fans either to out of state conference games.   

Disappointing NT attendance, coming off a rare road win and near perfect conditions.  This has got to change if NT ever wants to move up in the football world.  

ACL and the Fair had something to do with it also. When our opening game only draws 24K, competing events that siphon fans will make it look like more.

Winning + AD improvements will turn this thing around.  

A win on the road against Rice is impressive to obsessives, but then again they are already likely to go to the game already so I cannot imagine the win would have really trumped a great saturday for literally any kind of entertainment /activity. 

The AD improvements I expect will do a good job of positioning NT games as super awesome cool time activities, not just obligations (support your team because it is your school). 

• Upvote 2

I don't know if 20,000 in attendance should be considered disappointing or not. It might look very good towards the end of the season when we host La. Tech and So. Miss. This weeks game against Marshall is our best chance to win a conference home game, as they are having a down year. Regarding their fans, 150 traveling to UNT would be a big number, and certainly more that we would ever get to West Virginia.

La Tech is homecoming so if we have decent weather I would think we have good attendance especially if we have another win or two by then. And we do play San Antonio the week before, I want that for a win.  I am hoping for two more wins before homecoming. 

16 hours ago, THOR said:

I don't think it has much to do with relying on opposing fans to fill up our stadium, it's just that it's a lot more fun when our opponents bring in a few thousand fans to pump up the atmosphere. Along with school pride and finances, having fun is what it's all about for the majority involved.

22 hours ago, Andrew said:

I have no clue if this is true but there was a guy sitting behind us talking to his buddy and he said that Marshall travels better than any other team in the leauge and they would bring atleast 1500 fans. I don't remember the turn out last time we played them. 

Has Marshall Traveled to Apogee since we've both been in the CUSA? 

7 hours ago, aztecskin said:

ACL and the Fair had something to do with it also. When our opening game only draws 24K, competing events that siphon fans will make it look like more.

ACL kept me all weekend, though I was the odd one sitting in the Barton Springs Beer Hall with earbuds listening to the first half of the game in the middle of the fray.

Kendrick Lamar trumped the second half though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, meangreen08 said:

Has Marshall Traveled to Apogee since we've both been in the CUSA? 

I don't think so. Maybe he was basing it off how they travel else where? Who knows what I can take seriously from the stands now that they sell alcohol at the the games. 

• Upvote 1