No hating on Fine

Andrew

14 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

What I wonder is why they do not use a misdirection play with Fine? Every time he hands the ball off with the running back and blockers running in one direction, there is nobody from the opposing team on the other end of the play. With his quickness, he could waltz 20 yards by keeping the ball and running a naked reverse in the other direction. At the Rice game, there were times when there would have been 40 open yards on the other side of the field because they were keying so much on Wilson.

I'm simply guessing here, but I'm gonna say we haven't seen the entire play book just yet?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, southsideguy said:

the poor guy needs a offensive line that can protect him......not hating on Fine.  I don't think anyone can do well under the pressure he faced.  He takes a pounding and gets back up.

Couldnt agree more, line was getting totally dominated!  Maybe they need to play less ping pong!!!

• Upvote 5

Now some are back to the usual blame the QB routine after a loss.  I thought Fine overall had a good performance noting his lack of offensive support.  I am sure he made lots of rookie mistakes, but overall he continues to get better.  

Stockstill is one if not the best QB's in the conference, yet I can't imagine him doing any better than Fine if he had the NT receiving crew and was under the same intense pressure Fine was. 

Someone noted that Fine should have had a good game based on the Muts playing to stop the running game.   That helps the receivers get open, but when the offensive line is competed dominated it nullifies that advantage.  If you don't have time to throw, it doesn't matter who is open.   

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Revised Monday To Almost Manifesto Length:

I've been a Mean Green fan since September of 1973  so I've lost count of all the QB "projects" we had of which several never really panned out by their senior year. (For proof of that count how many above .500 seasons we've had beginning with the Bob Tyler season of 1982).

Mason Fine in his true freshmen year is not a project.  He's the real deal which is more evident to a growing number of even our most critical but now we just need to focus on 3 or 4 JUCOS who can be elgible to enroll  this Spring (I know--tall order).   Also for our Coach Littrell & his staff  to kick major tail in Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana as far as recruiting high school seniors.  

Such recruiting that will catapult this football program to high places that only an Eagle would enjoy like in NCAA outposts many of our former Missouri Valley conference-mates have landed.                                  ✳️?✳️ 2 of our ex conference-mates were  in the Top 10 this last week so to quote the great Shaft--CAN YA' DIG IT??

GMG!

PS: A pass rusher is on many of our Christmas wish lists. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

On October 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Andrew said:

Unsure. We had quite a few screen passes but I don't remember a single option play (although I believe we ran one where Wilson was dropped for a loss but Fine had the option to keep it). This question should be asked at the coaches show. 

It's a read, Mason's eyes were in the wrong spot. He kept it it was wrong. 

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I'm simply guessing here, but I'm gonna say we haven't seen the entire play boon just yet?

Rick

That and how many times do you want to run Fine? Especially when he's take 5-8 sacks a game and multiple pressures where he gets hit hard. 

On 10/1/2016 at 8:16 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope Stockstill is able to get over his Moral Loss (I guess that what you call it when the other guy has a Moral Victory) :huh:

I get the joke; I think the negatives are from people who didn't catch what you did there.

23 hours ago, GangGreen said:

We didn't really try to run the ball like we did against Rice. 10 of the attempts were from Fine. 4 of those were sacks. Our running backs only rushed the ball 12 times. J.Wilson should be getting 15-20 a game himself.

Yeah, for sure, but with the O-Line not being as awesome as we've seen in the past, he may not have gotten much more.  If the OL keeps this up, more runs would just spread out the punishment already being taken by Fine.  Those guys need to kick some ass.  If he had the time McNulty got out of his OL, we'd be freaking golden.  I don't even remember how many times I counted to almost 20 where AM had the ball and plenty of time to make a play.

• Upvote 3

A lot of the low rushing total is due to the 2 or 3 ~15-yd sacks Fine kept taking when trying to make something out of nothing.   These are temporary, hopefully as he gets coached up some more.   He's a true freshman QB, there are going to be some mistakes.   However, he did throw for over 300 yds!

Obviously, Wilson wasn't running roughshod like he did at Rice, but he was somewhat effective.  10 carries isn't going to get him going though...

• Upvote 1

No problem with Fine. He can execute what he is given. Until he is able to punish opposing defenses enough, they are all going to look at film and copycat what works. Maybe it is time for the OC to slip in a couple of new wrinkles this week to take advantage of those kamikaze defensive stunts, hurt them, and make them back off a little.

• Upvote 2