Good & Bad

cdizzle86

6 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Wow just wow. 

How good could any QB look ever under those  conditions? If you are pointing at the QB after tonight you might want to rethink it.

Without any kind of blocking there is not a chance in hell a QB can do much. 

This Oline has to be fixed before you can worry about a QB. 

Right...and even with that, our newbie Fine had more yards passing than watch-list superstar Stockstill did.  Yeah, he must be terrible.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cdizzle86 said:

1. This may be the worst offensive line we've ever had. Pocket collapses within seconds.

2. The offense is very vanilla. Wr screen, 2 step slant, the occasional run up the middle. No down field shots.

3. Offense can't stay on the field long enough to give defense a breather.

4. The only really good offense thing I saw was the first drive.

More like milliseconds. Fine really never had a chance to set up. Especially in the second half. All I can say about that is coaching and personnel. We were flat out whipped.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

A freshman QB barely bigger than me throws for 303 yards in his 4th start against the team likely to win the conference and it's the second coming of McNulty?!  A few stupid penalties on both sides (ineligible downfield TWICE and some very stupid defensive penalties) cost us our momentum.  We had 3-and-outs and so did they.  Fix the simple mistakes and this game could have been very different.  Young team, new players, new coach.  He will fix it.  He has to.  If he can't fix the simple stuff, being hired away isn't what we should worry about.

I don't recall what was happening on the first one, but on the second it was in the red zone and it did look like Fine was going to run as he moved out of the pocket.

Those penalties are excusable, IMO. A penalty based on effort isn't that bad as long as the player doesn't make it a habit. The second ineligible looked to be Murray trying to be a road grader paving the way for his QB to the end zone. Fine ended up pulling up and throwing it. Broken plays sometimes lead to that type of penalty. It sucks, but it just happens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green P1 said:

I saw growth against a Rice team who is actually about our talent equal. I saw defensive growth tonight against a team that I think wins the CUSA belt.  

Everyone should remember that we beat a pretty bad Rice team last week in OT.  In the future, we'll compete better against the MUTS, but for now, they have about the best set of athletes in CUSA.  We're not able to truly stretch the field with our current personnel on offense... but it will get better.  Better O-Line play and more speed at the outside receiver is key.  Proud that our D played their arses off tonight.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Green P1 said:

We've been spoiled by great to pretty good offensive line play for a little while now.  It's really been the only thing we've had.  Recruiting has caught up to us.  

At the same time, recruiting has caught up to us at QB and we're starting a 5'? true freshman with moxie. We knew this year was going to be a rough one but I'm excited to see growth.  I saw growth against Florida. I saw growth against a Rice team who is actually about our talent equal. I saw defensive growth tonight against a team that I think wins the CUSA belt.  

We were out classed tonight at every single position but punter and our boys never laid down.  

This team and last years are two ships passing in the night... And the one moving North is going a lot faster than I would have ever hoped for at the beginning of the season.  

Excellent post.

Rick

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

303 yards in this offense isn't good. 

What's this based on? I just glanced over Marquise Williams' college stats, and slinging it 40 times for 300+ yards was very rare. His senior year he eclipsed 250 yards in three total games

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

What's this based on? I just glanced over Marquise Williams' college stats, and slinging it 40 times for 300+ yards was very rare. His senior year he eclipsed 250 yards in three total games

54 Att  ... 303 yards ... 5.6 avg ... 30.7 qb rating ... those are not good numbers.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, DoctorJJ said:

You guys knocking Fine are nuts. Yes, nuts. He completed 61% of his passes and probably had 6-7 drops. Had those been caught, and they should have been, he would have completed 74% of his passes. Yet he missed "too many open receivers"??? How many should he have hit that he missed? Another 7 or so? I guess that means you guys fully expect him to complete 90% of his passes. Just trying to see where the bar is, maybe he can clear it.

On the last scoring drive there were 2 drops including the 2 point conversion (that hit the guy in the facemask). That was a perfectly thrown ball, down and to the outside where only the receiver could catch it. He didn't. He went down to catch it and it bounced off of his facemask. I suppose that was Mason's fault too.

He's playing with receivers who aren't playing up to the level we know that they can and with an offensive line that is struggling. He has about 5 milliseconds to throw and even when it's a strike, its being dropped far too often. Despite that, he's thrown 1 INT in 138 attempts. Some of you guys need to rethink your positions and get behind this guy and this team a little more!

You get it!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

He is a complete ass whipping.  At least turn the volume down a notch if he's to be allowed to continue.

Rick

Yes! The volume level was way over the top last night!

Did they get a new sound system?  It sounded cleaner & the speakers didn't have that spiked out sound as before.

I spent the 4'th quarter talking to Gray Eagle & we could not hear each other over Mr. "another Mean Green...1'st down"  Crouch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Yes! The volume level was way over the top last night!

Did they get a new sound system?  It sounded cleaner & the speakers didn't have that spiked out sound as before.

I spent the 4'th quarter talking to Gray Eagle & we could not hear each other over Mr. "another Mean Green...1'st down"  Crouch. 

It's as if he was told.."Every second of non-play time you get...scream something into the microphone".

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, DoctorJJ said:

You guys knocking Fine are nuts. Yes, nuts. He completed 61% of his passes and probably had 6-7 drops. Had those been caught, and they should have been, he would have completed 74% of his passes. Yet he missed "too many open receivers"??? How many should he have hit that he missed? Another 7 or so? I guess that means you guys fully expect him to complete 90% of his passes. Just trying to see where the bar is, maybe he can clear it.

On the last scoring drive there were 2 drops including the 2 point conversion (that hit the guy in the facemask). That was a perfectly thrown ball, down and to the outside where only the receiver could catch it. He didn't. He went down to catch it and it bounced off of his facemask. I suppose that was Mason's fault too.

He's playing with receivers who aren't playing up to the level we know that they can and with an offensive line that is struggling. He has about 5 milliseconds to throw and even when it's a strike, its being dropped far too often. Despite that, he's thrown 1 INT in 138 attempts. Some of you guys need to rethink your positions and get behind this guy and this team a little more!

He's playing with guys who were recruited to play a power offense that didn't throw downfield. The growing pains are real. This is the byproduct of terrible recruiting being meshed into a modern offense. 

• Upvote 1

Good

1. We held the likely favorite from the East to under 20 points for most of the game, and held on to a lead with only 7 points until a few minutes remaining in the half.
  2. No turnovers.
  3. Eric Keena is a helluva punter.

Bad

1. Terrible protection for Fine.
  2. After the first drive, not much passing downfield.
  3. Didn't establish the run.
  4. The team forgets to play defense on third down. This isn't Canadian football.
  5. The refs.
On 10/1/2016 at 9:38 PM, VideoEagle said:

As did our LACK of them. 

I felt like our protection broke down especially quickly on third down. There was a lot of times Mason didn't even have an opportunity to convert the third down.