Good & Bad

cdizzle86

1. This may be the worst offensive line we've ever had. Pocket collapses within seconds.

2. The offense is very vanilla. Wr screen, 2 step slant, the occasional run up the middle. No down field shots.

3. Offense can't stay on the field long enough to give defense a breather.

4. The only really good offense thing I saw was the first drive.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I think there was a lot of good on all three phases, just not consistency. I hate that we lost, but that was expected...and damn...I think we're going to be really good next year.  Our upcoming slate of opponents leads me to think that we may still squeak into a bowl, but even if we don't...with this many new players under a new staff, a great young QB and a hell of a defensive corps...if things continue to gel, we could be kicking some serious ass next year.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1. MTSU may be the best team in CUSA.  They are very talented.  Lot of our mistakes were caused by their speed and size.  Stockstill is a VERY good quarterback.

2. Fine looked like the second coming of McNulty.  It's probably just a "true freshman" type of game but he needs to get better.  Missed too many open receivers.

3. Speaking of receivers, we still can't get open often enough.  Too many tight windows for Mason to try and hit.

4. Defense played great but ... again ... Stockstill is very good and ran out of gas.

5. All that said ... we still had a shot late in the game.  It's a learning experience and Marshall next week isn't as good as MUTS.  If we can win and be 3-3 on the year then we'll take that.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 11

1 minute ago, JesseMartin said:

A freshman QB barely bigger than me throws for 303 yards in his 4th start against the team likely to win the conference and it's the second coming of McNulty?!  A few stupid penalties on both sides (ineligible downfield TWICE and some very stupid defensive penalties) cost us our momentum.  We had 3-and-outs and so did they.  Fix the simple mistakes and this game could have been very different.  Young team, new players, new coach.  He will fix it.  He has to.  If he can't fix the simple stuff, being hired away isn't what we should worry about.

Are you saying anything different than I did?  Fine had a bad game.  We had too many drops.  We had too many mistakes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

As did our LACK of them. 

Definitely.  We killed it when we were strolling down the field on good drives...but when the pressure was on, it killed us.  They'll grow.  It's all good.  We didn't suck tonight.  Showed lots of promise and room for growth...and most of that growth is the kind that just comes with practice.  We will win a few more this year as the guys learn, and will be really good next year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Are you saying anything different than I did?  Fine had a bad game.  We had too many drops.  We had too many mistakes. 

Yeah, I am...he didn't have a bad game at all.  There were a few times when he could have made better decisions, and others where he was killing it.  Many of the drops weren't on him, they were on the receivers.  And once the game started to go the other way, he went into panic mode sometimes.  He just needs to develop the skill of maintaining his cool all of the time.  He's used to winning and isn't used to playing at this level.  He still fared really well...like I said...303 yards against the best team in the conference, and he's brand new.  If he can't adjust, he's toast.  But he's quite a competitor and I suspect that he just needs to grow into it. He'll be...wait for it...fine.

• Upvote 6

Just now, JesseMartin said:

Yeah, I am...he didn't have a bad game at all.  There were a few times when he could have made better decisions, and others where he was killing it.  Many of the drops weren't on him, they were on the receivers.  And once the game started to go the other way, he went into panic mode sometimes.  He just needs to develop the skill of maintaining his cool all of the time.  He's used to winning and isn't used to playing at this level.  He still fared really well...like I said...303 yards against the best team in the conference, and he's brand new.  If he can't adjust, he's toast.  But he's quite a competitor and I suspect that he just needs to grow into it. He'll be...wait for it...fine.

303 yards in this offense isn't good.  One reason Morris is no longer the starter is he missed too many open receivers.  Mason did the same tonight.  Most of his yards came on the first drive and late in the fourth after it was just about over.  In between he and the entire offense was ineffective.  Considering he's a true freshman ... going against a good defense ... with lesser talent around him ... it still wasn't a great game.  He'll get better ... hopefully sooner rather than later.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

Fine had a bad game. SL even said so, in so many words during the post game show. 

We had six 3 and outs in a row. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The one thing I was afraid of with a young team, I think we saw tonight. That is, how do you deal with success? Most players have heart and can fight back from failure, but staying focused after success is sometimes harder. The penalties, drops, missed tackles are focus issues and we didn't handle last week's success very well. 

• Upvote 6

Wow just wow. 

How good could any QB look ever under those  conditions? If you are pointing at the QB after tonight you might want to rethink it.

Without any kind of blocking there is not a chance in hell a QB can do much. 

This Oline has to be fixed before you can worry about a QB.