Official MUTS vs UNT 2016 Game Thread

Harry

Don't understand why the clamoring for giving Fine the hook- this time last year we were complaining that we weren't giving the underclassmen an attempt to build for the future, we pulled a dude who was NOT effective in the first week against SMU giving a true freshman the ball, and (here's a surprise) he sometimes plays like a true freshman.  We have an offensive line that we knew from the beginning of the season was going to be problematic and (again, a real surprise) is being problematic.  We knew there would be problems with depth due to the fact that we have far below the expected scholarship players.  We have a coaching staff that is brand new in their positions trying to fit dudes who weren't recruited into the system to get productivity.  

Yes- this ended up being a really winnable game, and there shouldn't be any excuses for losing.  Expectations are expectations and we want wins.  However, be realistic.  Fine didn't play great.  Do we really think Morris would have done better with little to no protection or any semblance of a run game to keep everyone off balance?  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Just make it ten, and count this week as a moral victory. C'mon Mason

Also--we just had a TRUE FRESHMAN QB throw for 300 yards against one of the best conference defenses. 

Should have been a ten point loss but the defense just gave up on their last series on the field assuming with a minute and a half left that middle would just run the ball. Lesson learned there. 

20 minutes ago, James329 said:

I was expecting more of a Leach tech offense that regardless of talent moved the ball between the 20s. This is not that. Where are the slants, where is the creativity? 7 points at home in conference? 

YEAH! TAKE EVERYONE OUT BACK AND GIVE THEM THE OLD YELLER TREATMENT!

Fine is a real frosh and threw for 300 against one of the best defenses in CUSA with no running game and no line. Y'all haters 

If you really think Fine had a good game I would love to have a pair of your Green Glasses and a big jug of your Green Kool Aid :)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Fine is a real frosh and threw for 300 against one of the best defenses in CUSA with no running game and no line. Y'all haters 

I'm willing to ride the rollercoaster with a true freshman but that's a ridiculous view of how he played today. People should chill out though, this wasn't going to get fixed overnight. For a game that was fairly close, we threw the ball way too much. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If you really think Fine had a good game I would love to have a pair of your Green Glasses and a big jug of your Green Kool Aid :)

He had a better night than Stockdale.... someone might want to look at the stat line.... oh and Stockstill ctually had an offensive line. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Andrew said:

He had a better night than Stockdale.... someone might want to look at the stat line.... oh and Stockstill ctually had an offensive line. 

It's OK, people on this forum really thought this was a 8 win team.

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm just realistic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

It's OK, people on this forum really thought this was a 8 win team.

Instead of looking at yards, you might want to check out the third down conversions. 

Overcorrecting the other way is as dumb as overreacting to this one game. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

Instead of looking at yards, you might want to check out the third down conversions. 

Overcorrecting the other way is as dumb as overreacting to this one game. 

How many running yards did we have? How many sacks did we give up?

Edited by Ryan Munthe

Just now, Ryan Munthe said:

How many running yards did we have? How many sacks did we give up?

5 rushing yards. Too many sacks. He got no help but then again he didn't exactly light it up either. 5.6 yards an attempt. 

I'm not criticizing him. I'm not overly praising him either.

And no to Morris. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

It is frustrating but the run game isn't working and Fine doesn't have the arm strength to get it down field. I think we are very limited. A positive is that we have yet to turn over the bal. Remember the past two seasons? Yea it could be worse.... way worse....

Arm strength?? Stick to hoops.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

5 rushing yards. Too many sacks. He got no help but then again he didn't exactly light it up either. 5.6 yards an attempt. 

And no to Morris. 

It's a viscous circle .. If we cant pass they will load the box and stop the ground game and have the numbers to put pressure on the QB. I would like to see some changes in the play calling to give Fine more chances to succeed. 

4 minutes ago, meanrob said:

And no to Morris. 

Didn't the Stockstill only average like 6.5 yards per pass? Fine did just fine. 

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

Arm strength?? Stick to hoops.

Well that is what everyone was concerned about when the season started. Morris had the cannon and Fine had the wheels. Fine seems to be more accurate and has a nice arm but he doesn't get enough under it still. The three or four plays where we tried to go over the top in the middle of the field were all under thrown. He had a great zip on it and it came in hot but he didn't get it in from of Robinson of Thompson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's a viscous circle .. If we cant pass they will load the box and stop the ground game and have the numbers to put pressure on the QB. I would like to see some changes in the play calling to give Fine more chances to succeed. 

Yep, no easy answers. Especially with a struggling OLine. 

I think the most frustrating thing is how's well we moved it on the 1st drive and then on the last 2. everything between that was down right bad, which I think we can agree upon as well.. the defense keeps missing tackles and getting these stupid penalties. I understand playing aggressive but they need to learn how to manage this.. this is week 5 and almost 2 months of practices now.. they need to straighten this out, it cost us vs. SMU with the big plays, Rice which we were able to overcome, tonite neither side really helped the other.. Defense as just to damn tired, and kept shooting itself in he foot with either stops on 3rd then a penalty or just getting beat.

as bad as this sounds, Ekler and them on defense have to expect that they will not be bailed out by this offense. I'm hoping that we can get in some OL support as well in this upcoming class that can compete on day 1.. Davis probably has the hardest job on the staff 

In 2013, you could count on one thing -- the opposing team was going to be gasping for air in the fourth quarter because we would wear them down.  

Right now, the team gasping for air is us.  

I'm ok with tonight though.  MUTS is bigger, stronger, faster, and they've got one hell of a wily quarterback.  He was making at least two fake moves per play, even long after he'd handed off the ball.  

My most hated moment was that fake going for it on fourth down, forcing us to take a timeout, then they punted to nobody.  Stockstill played us like a fiddle on that, and I found it concerning. 

My prediction for final record right now is either 4-8 or 5-7.  I think we get to a bowl next year. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Didn't the Stockstill only average like 6.5 yards per pass? Fine did just fine. 

Well that is what everyone was concerned about when the season started. Morris had the cannon and Fine had the wheels. Fine seems to be more accurate and has a nice arm but he doesn't get enough under it still. The three or four plays where we tried to go over the top in the middle of the field were all under thrown. He had a great zip on it and it came in hot but he didn't get it in from of Robinson of Thompson. 

bc he had a 250 lb DL in his grill, causing him to throw off back foot. having ZERO to do with arm strength.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

i disagree, tons of mis-reads and eyes looking at the wrong thing.

27 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

UNT hung in and fought. It's very appreciated. The bullshit antics on the sideline towards the end of the game...I could have gone without. I guess I have to drink 0.00 alcohol for the team to understand. Very well, next game will see a 0.00 induced Ben Gooding. Bullshit again...I will be just as loud but will be going nowhere next time. Get. Your. Shit. Together. If you think it's funny to lose by 3+ touchdowns, then bye. EVERYONE involved in that bs  get gone quick and you know who you are. GMG

Hope you had a reasonably good time today.  Admire your passion.  

• Upvote 1