Joe Greene Defensive Lineman Award

Side Show Joe

Another season will come and go without this award being given out. My question is what can we do about it?

Could we as alums and fans form a non-profit (North Texas Athletic Club?), and run with this thing?

I think Tyler Maryak and Harry might be able to organize something like this. I'm sure their are some on this board with backgrounds that would be beneficial in organizing and bringing this thing to realty. I know I'd be willing to join the organization and could sculpt the award for free. Joe turned 70 last Saturday. I think it's time people got this thing going.

Here is a list of individual awards. http://www.espn.com/college-football/awards

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

You thinking of a UNT team award or award on a national scale?

Good to hear from you KRAM!

National award given out to the best defensive lineman in the country. Like the Doak Walker for running backs and Davy O'Brien for quarterbacks.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Good to hear from you KRAM!

National award given out to the best defensive lineman in the country. Like the Doak Walker for running backs and Davy O'Brien for quarterbacks.

Oh, great idea.  However, tons...tons of work and dollars needed for that.  First, setting up the non-profit organization to operate the program.  Then tons of fund-raising and work to establish the award on a national scale...not to mention getting Joe's OK to use his name and likeness in promotions, awards, etc.  But, biggest challenge is to gain respect for the award.  Must be promoted on a national scale.  Definitely could be done, but do not underestimate the initial and on-going work required from a pretty large group of volunteers and donors.

Now, an annual team award...not so difficult.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Oh, great idea.  However, tons...tons of work and dollars needed for that.  First, setting up the non-profit organization to operate the program.  Then tons of fund-raising and work to establish the award on a national scale...not to mention getting Joe's OK to use his name and likeness in promotions, awards, etc.  But, biggest challenge is to gain respect for the award.  Must be promoted on a national scale.  Definitely could be done, but do not underestimate the initial and on-going work required from a pretty large group of volunteers and donors.

Now, an annual team award...not so difficult.

It would certainly be a lot of work, but I think we have a talented group of alums, like yourself, and fans, with the talent to form a non-profit, or raise funds, or develop sponsors. I'm not a business person, but I can contribute what I can financially and in other ways. If enough of us pull together, I don't see why it couldn't become a reality. I think Joe would be honored to have the only national award for a defensive lineman named in his honor. If he would be willing to serve as a voting member of the club and hand the award out, that alone should establish respect for the award.

Got to head down for the game tonight, but I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the insights. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

Maybe we could start at a smaller level for say an award for the best defensive lineman in UNT's conference or maybe even the best defensive lineman from a G5 program?  Because we already have the Outland Trophy which is for he nations best interior defensive linemen.  But the Mean Joe Green award could be for all defensive lineman or best in the front 7 (lineman & linebackers).

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2016 at 0:39 PM, KRAM1 said:

Would be great to give out team awards and have them named after Players...

Best DLine would be Mean Joe, WR could be Johnny Quinn Award, etc.. stuff like that would help bring back these famous/important Alumni. 

On 10/1/2016 at 0:39 PM, KRAM1 said:

National scale with the award dinner up in the Club at Apogee. 

On 10/1/2016 at 1:19 PM, Side Show Joe said:

It would certainly be a lot of work, but I think we have a talented group of alums, like yourself, and fans, with the talent to form a non-profit, or raise funds, or develop sponsors. I'm not a business person, but I can contribute what I can financially and in other ways. If enough of us pull together, I don't see why it couldn't become a reality. I think Joe would be honored to have the only national award for a defensive lineman named in his honor. If he would be willing to serve as a voting member of the club and hand the award out, that alone should establish respect for the award.

Got to head down for the game tonight, but I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the insights. Go Mean Green!

Charge a nominal fees for the a Rd banquet which would cover the cost. Get 100 people paying $50 or $100 a plate. That should cover cost. 

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would be great to give out team awards and have them named after Players...

Best DLine would be Mean Joe, WR could be Johnny Quinn Award, etc.. stuff like that would help bring back these famous/important Alumni. 

Team awards already are named after former players.