MGB: Baker hires third top level administrator

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, GMG81 said:

So the question must be asked. When is the dead weight being cut away? If there is not any dead weight being cut away then this is getting excessive. 

Give it time. People will start disappearing after a while. Perhaps after football season is over.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Excessive? Hardly. 

Patience. I bet we see some retirements and resignations before December. 

When the word executive is in a job title it usually comes with a lofty salary. There are 3 new lofty salaries we will be paying plus Wren. It's as if Wren is banking heavily on tremendous success on all fronts from on the playing surfaces to fundraising to gift giving and everything in between. IF Wren falls flat on his face, then what? Keep paying for him AND his round table of knights? If it pays off great, but this MIGHT be putting the carriage before the horse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Right, so we should just do what we have always done, eh?

Jesus people. 

The answer is simple. If he doesn't produce, you can his ass. And you don't wait for 15 years of suck to occur before doing so. 

What you fail to see (or just don't want to admit) is the complete lack of effort by the last AD. How do you know Baker hasn't already raised money to more than cover these salaries? 

This is the attitude that has led to UNT being the laughing stock of FBS athletics in Texas. It's also the reason UNT has one of the lowest endowments of any FBS university of its size and age in the country. 

But by all means, let's keep doing what we have always done. 

I wasn't saying not to can his ass if he doesn't perform. By all means. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GMG81 said:

I wasn't saying not to can his ass if he doesn't perform. By all means. 

If you want a professional department, you have to hire professional leaders. 

We have gone the good ole boy route and seen the calamity it caused. 

Money well spent, unless you want WB's bestie running the AD's finances.,

If you haven't read the entire report, I encourage you to do so. I doubt you will question these expenditures after that reading. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

If you want a professional department, you have to hire professional leaders. 

We have gone the good ole boy route and seen the calamity it caused. 

Money well spent, unless you want WB's bestie running the AD's finances.,

If you haven't read the entire report, I encourage you to do so. I doubt you will question these expenditures after that reading. 

Yep.  Hire good people and let them do their job. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

This appears to be Nitardy's position.

And chill about where the money is coming from.   If it wasn't there for Wren to use, then he wouldn't be making these hires.    

Thanks Smatresk!

Perhaps that and more. The title sounds like more of what Hank did than anything else.

The MGS presser certainly doesn't allude to what exact role he's taking on.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

I love the hires.. but, we are already shown to put way too much in our athletic department administration... This will only compound it unless moves are being made. 

Moves will inevitably be made. This does compound an already high expense though. If Wren thinks the money is there to throw around for new exec hires then so be it. If Wren is wrong and fails then not so be it. He'll need to so be his way out the door. Wren and his staff should be under a microscope by every single serious fan, alum, student and any single person that cares about athletics. I know I'll have this whole process under one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG81 said:

So the question must be asked. When is the dead weight being cut away? If there is not any dead weight being cut away then this is getting excessive. 

Based on the report that was issued it is very likely that in addition to having under qualified people in place we where also very understaffed in key areas of need. Please give Wren and company time to lay the foundation for long term success. I know as UNT fans we're not used to seeing an Athletic Depart that "runs with the big boys" but every indication is that we are heading that way. As they say, Rome was not built in a day. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

These guys have families, it's called being respectful and giving them time to find new positions. Some of them put in good work for us, even though the athletic department as a whole has been a failure under RV. Trust me, everyone from RV's staff knows their time is probably coming. Just to clarify though, we are complaining about spending too much money on athletics? 

No complaints here. Wren is making his bed one hire at a time. Let him do his thing. As long as it pays in the end. If not, he'll need to be sleeping in that bed in the back of a uhaul truck as it goes down i35 to his next destination.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG81 said:

You have to have people in place before you clean house to ensure a smooth transition.

1 hour ago, GMG81 said:

When the word executive is in a job title it usually comes with a lofty salary. There are 3 new lofty salaries we will be paying plus Wren. It's as if Wren is banking heavily on tremendous success on all fronts from on the playing surfaces to fundraising to gift giving and everything in between. IF Wren falls flat on his face, then what? Keep paying for him AND his round table of knights? If it pays off great, but this MIGHT be putting the carriage before the horse. 

I'm sure Wren got a financial commitment to have $ for HIS staff and Mgmt structure! As with Seth we are seeing positions that probably should of been already existing. This proves again of the highers up commitment to drastic change!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

No complaints here. Wren is making his bed one hire at a time. Let him do his thing. As long as it pays in the end. If not, he'll need to be sleeping in that bed in the back of a uhaul truck as it goes down i35 to his next destination.  

I would never wish a job in UTSA's Athletic Department on anyone.

• Upvote 5

Baker has actually amped up the pressure on himself with all these hires.  If things don't improve significantly in a relatively short time, there are going to be a lot of questions asked. 

I expect most if not all current employees know were they stand, and there are a lot of calls being made and resumes being distributed at this time.   

With that report published, I doubt anyone is going to try too hard to protect any employee.   I do hope that Baker makes every effort to retain those big donors that defended RV to the very end.    NT needs their support now as much as ever.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Right, so we should just do what we have always done, eh?

Jesus people. 

The answer is simple. If he doesn't produce, you can his ass. And you don't wait for 15 years of suck to occur before doing so. 

What you fail to see (or just don't want to admit) is the complete lack of effort by the last AD. How do you know Baker hasn't already raised money to more than cover these salaries? 

This is the attitude that has led to UNT being the laughing stock of FBS athletics in Texas. It's also the reason UNT has one of the lowest endowments of any FBS university of its size and age in the country. 

But by all means, let's keep doing what we have always done. 

He was simply voicing concern over the financial burden.  If we're putting the carriage before the horse, I think the concern is justified.

I personally don't think that.  I think the money is there.  And you're absolutely correct: let's not keep doing what we were doing.