So let me get this straight DMN...

GMoney

So basically justifying the changes in AD, etc.  Proactive report from the university to see where we are lacking and how to move forward, some of which seems to have already been placed into motion. Could have just asked this board.   :)   But you wouldn't think that from the headline.  Could have easily read, "UNT addressing areas of need and moving forward to be competitive"

• Upvote 3

I normally hate bad press about UNT. But we've all complained for years about the exact problems the report states, endlessly.  Well. It's official.  Pen to paper.. On the record. It's out there.  No more rumors, now people can make plans, set goals, and be accountable.  They now have an official grocery list of things to fix. And if they start striking items off this list, we should see results. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

If UNT plans to address these issues, they need to publicize this report as much as possible. And call a press conference every time one of these issues is fixed. 

Some of you see this as a negative. I see it as a huge opportunity for UNT to SHOW disaffected alumni a commitment to athletics.

I hope they run a larger article tomorrow. 

It's a brave new world as I agree with 90. If they acknowledge the problems and then fix them, that is something we'd want everyone to know about. The first problem listed was the lack of financial controls and an individual within the department to control finances separate from compliance and they already added that. 

• Upvote 1

The DMN is reporting some very pertinent news about NT's athletic program.   I can't believe anyone has a problem with that.   Compared to other stories like the continued mess at Baylor and the saga of cheating at SMU, this is hardly negative.   

Sure it provides some small caliber ammunition for rivals in recruiting.   This will be short lived and can be easily changed into a positive to show that NT is finally taking athletics seriously.   

• Upvote 2

Holy crap, I agree with UNT90.  I think this is great.  If you're lacking in a certain area and aren't getting enough support to fix it, go public.  Suddenly people who didn't support you will do anything to ameliorate the problem once it's salient.  I've done it, and the B.S. you get about being transparent goes away as soon as people see that you're the one who is making it an issue so as to fix it.

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the report or the DMN publishing it. My problem is the placement of it with the headline size and a third of a page. I bet Vito hardly ever has had an article written for the DRC that wasn't edited down in size for the DMN.

As for needing publicity to get change, don't think that's true with the new leadership. Also, we don't need this article recruiting against us by every team in our conference and state. Publicizing our woes to the world certainly doesn't help. Some dirty laundry should stay in our closet and be given a chance to be cleaned.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the report or the DMN publishing it. My problem is the placement of it with the headline size and a third of a page. I bet Vito hardly ever has had an article written for the DRC that wasn't edited down in size for the DMN.

As for needing publicity to get change, don't think that's true with the new leadership. Also, we don't need this article recruiting against us by every team in our conference and state. Publicizing our woes to the world certainly doesn't help. Some dirty laundry should stay in our closet and be given a chance to be cleaned.

In topics where we've both posted, I don't think we've disagreed much, but I can't side with you on the latter half of that post.  Public transparency shows balls and integrity and an innate desire to make adjustments.  I think enough scandals and related crap have gone down with college athletics that the public generally assumes there's something bad at most institutions.  It might have a temporary negative affect, but for anyone who actually cares and whose kid might get recruited, the follow-up in terms of planning and finding solutions will go a long way, especially against others who claim there's never anything wrong with their program...until something comes out.

• Upvote 1