DRC: breaking - Consultants report critical of UNT

Brett Vito

11 hours ago, SSP said:

MAKE NO MISTAKE:

This report will hurt UNT recruiting in ALL SPORTS this year.

This can really be owned and pointed that we are really going a different direction as with the report of grass surfaces over the summer getting better fast. Several of these things just have to be managed and are not great expenses. So seeing improvement is always positive, I think this can really be a positive for recruiting. Not the same old North Texas.

10 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

If they wouldn't return phone calls for OOC scheduling it makes you wonder if they even tried to have any input with conference scheduling...

It seems pretty obvious that that is an easy answer of Hell NO, they did not do anything related to effort.

Make you wonder how any coaches have succeeded here.  Makes the good coaches like Hedlund, Stracke, Lama and Jones look even more impressive and provides a better understanding of the uphill battle all the coaches have faced.  

Not that most schools don't have money issues, they do.   For some reason, I still remember NT having a top notch pole vaulter transfer to a lower conference school because NT couldn't furnish the poles he needed to compete.   I thought that was unbelievable at the time, but apparently this type of thing was not all that unusual.  

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, SSP said:

MAKE NO MISTAKE:

This report will hurt UNT recruiting in ALL SPORTS this year.

You're absolutely right. This was good for the university to have done, not a fan of it being made public. This report being at the table of Smatresk was invaluable.

In addition: Do y'all really think this is going to fire up the disaffected alumni? Or make the "UNT is a fine arts school, Apogee is stupid, athletics sux" crowd come around? All it's going to do is set us back further in recruiting and the public image.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is Nitardy still there?  between my son's baseball schedule and Nitardy's presence, I'm out of the season ticket game. 

I will come back eventually....  and will even start giving again(after a 3 year break) in the next year or so in all likelyhood especially if there are reported changes in our Athletic Department, but for now, I'm still very very bitter about my past experiences with the ticket office leadership(or lack there of).

I do miss my tickets on the 45 yard line...  They were awesome, and being able to see my group of friends at the game on 6 Saturdays a year was a ton of fun.  We'll settle for walkup seats in the endzone when our schedule permits for now.  I really really changes are coming...good ones.  until then, we'll see. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Wow! Just read the article. If our university leadership can get even half of these things fixed or implemented within the next 5 years, we will be moving up the college football food chain.

I wish it were that easy. But it's kind of like saying a nasty slob finally starts wearing deodorant and all of the sudden hot chicks are knocking down his door, isn't it? Wearing deodorant is a basic thing, not anything exceptional - right?. This is going to take a long, long, long long time. We have to not only do all of these things but make sure that we do it consistently over time and oh by the way win consistently as well. It will also have to be sustained over several different administrations of both athletic department leadership and University leadership and that's the part where we have failed miserably. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Make you wonder how any coaches have succeeded here.  Makes the good coaches like Hedlund, Stracke, Lama and Jones look even more impressive and provides a better understanding of the uphill battle all the coaches have faced.  

What about Dickey?

This terrible atmosphere didn't start last year.  Dickey succeeded when our budgets were garbage, when we didn't have a weight room, when they had no meeting space big enough for the entire team to sit together, with no film study areas, with no weight room, with assistant salaries so low that he had to replace some every year, while being paid less than Canales made here.  

All the while under a boss that couldn't stand him because his initial firing of him got over ruled. 

Then when Dickey did complain about the situation further up the chain either the matter got ignored or the complaints were forwarded... right back to the AD.  I told everyone who would listen that I understood The Buick's "us against the world" attitude, and that he wasn't meaning to direct it towards the fans.  

Wrong guy was let go.  

A new broom sweeps clean. The report stated that as a percentage of expense our Athletic Department payroll was very top heavy. Baker has just hired two high priced employees, which just increases that figure. I assume that an overall reduction in staff will occur by years end in order to get UNT in line with the rest of the conference, both in terms of head count and compensation.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, Stan R said:

I wish it were that easy. But it's kind of like saying a nasty slob finally starts wearing deodorant and all of the sudden hot chicks are knocking down his door, isn't it? Wearing deodorant is a basic thing, not anything exceptional - right?. This is going to take a long, long, long long time. We have to not only do all of these things but make sure that we do it consistently over time and oh by the way win consistently as well. It will also have to be sustained over several different administrations of both athletic department leadership and University leadership and that's the part where we have failed miserably. 

This is correct. What I do like is that if Baker starts turning this thing around and gets a big job in 3-5 years, we have a able replacement inside the AD ready to take over (the former ACU AD).

But the president, BOR, and Chancellor are the main sticking points. Thank God Dallas Lee and his terrible legacy are almost out. His replacement needs to be pro athletics (not pro-Dallas). Smatresk seems to get it, even if he solves obvious problems (Rick Villarreal) at a snail's pace. But he will probably only be at UNT another 3 or 4 years. Those two replacements will decide what we become athletically. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

No offense to those who think we need more than 6K for basketball but we just don't. I've been going to games since the 80's and could probably count on one hand the times we needed more than 6K seats. 6K is probably too many.

What would be better and easier for anyone selling the product is a great atmosphere with amenities, and then scarcity of seats.

Sure we had 7K for Tech once, who cares. A lot of those were free customers (students) and the rest paid like 7 bucks once (that game only).

What the discussion about MGC illustrates in this thread is that we need a lot more people committed. Like 3,500 season ticket holders for basketball. That way when the game against Tech happens again those people already have seats in our 5K arena because they bought in to the program and aren't left checking Stub Hub and paying $100 for that one game (i can dream right?)

If/when you have a season ticket waiting list you can worry about a bigger place.

Agree! How big is SMU and compare.I have also had season tickets and for 3 years sat on the floor. The stands need to come to courtside! I have always thought this was a negative of the pit. It is also mentioned it could be used for concerts. When is the last time we had a concert with a little R&R!!

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You're absolutely right. This was good for the university to have done, not a fan of it being made public. This report being at the table of Smatresk was invaluable.

In addition: Do y'all really think this is going to fire up the disaffected alumni? Or make the "UNT is a fine arts school, Apogee is stupid, athletics sux" crowd come around? All it's going to do is set us back further in recruiting and the public image.

The commitment to change had been made before this report was done. Prez new many of the things that were needed. Firing, Mc, RV, hiring a new coach with an increased budget for staff, getting an AD that new of all the problems but has been told the $ will be there for change. Wren knows what he is getting into and has been promised the resources to fix it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

So.  Elephant in the room.  These fixes are gonna cost.  Do they raise contribution levels and ticket prices next year?

That's why you hire a guy who can raise money. The last guy had a very small circle from which he sought donations. We have all heard about the silo mentality in the report by now. 

I would hope and expect Baker to widen that donor base considerably. I think we see an AD fundraising initiative announced in pretty short order. I think the RV lovers will be shocked at the amount of money raised in Baker's first year on the job. Will this help them work through their denial? Doubtful, as denial is the strongest human emotion. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

They don't really need to if they can start getting more people to the games and grow the MGC.

Many hands makes light work...

UNT is slow to come around to that concept. I was talking to an alumni from a SEC school. Their goal was $10 every year from every alumni. Start with that! The rest can give what they can afford/desire.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GM1998 said:

UNT is slow to come around to that concept. I was talking to an alumni from a SEC school. Their goal was $10 every year from every alumni. Start with that! The rest can give what they can afford/desire.

I'd like to see a ongoing or rolling Capital Campaign. There will always be needs and wants from the program. Alumni and fans should always be there to help meet those needs/wants,

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'd like to see a ongoing or rolling Capital Campaign. There will always be needs and wants from the program. Alumni and fans should always be there to help meet those needs/wants,

This would be nice. A fund that alum can throw extra change into and these funds can be taken and used for facility upgrades, new unis, etc. And when the account is dipped into it is announced that X was completed through using this fund. So alum know what kind of bang they are getting out of their buck and it's not being blindly given. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

We've had at least a dozen crowds of more that 6K people.  If we ever were to win consistently, a 6K arena will be too small.  Near the end of JJ's last year we were drawing about 5K a game in the Sunbelt for crying out loud.  I will never be on board with an arena that small.

1. 10,600 --vs. SMU (1/22/77)

2. 9,100 -- vs. DePaul (12/16/80)

3. 8,816 -- vs. West Texas St. (3/1/76)

4. 8,100 -- vs. Texas (1/17/80)

5. 7,105 -- vs. Texas Tech (11/16/10)

6. 7,100 -- vs. Pan American (3/2/77)

7. 7,087 -- vs. Bradley (2/28/76)

8. 6,921 -- vs. ULL (2/18/12)

9. 6,838 -- vs. LSU (12/22/11)

10. 6,820 -- vs. Baylor (12/8/76)

11. 6,793 -- vs. OSU (11/14/07)

12. 6,500 -- vs. Creighton (2/26/77)

Moody is 7,000,but it is a damn nice 7,000.

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

What about Dickey?

Memphis Athletics

In his third season on staff, Dickey helped guide the Tigers to a share of the 2014 American Athletic Conference crown, the program’s first league championship since 1971. Memphis posted a 10-3 record, tying the school record for most wins in a season (1938). The Tigers capped the 2014 campaign with a thrilling 55-48 double-overtime victory over BYU in the Miami Beach Bowl.

Memphis followed that season with a 9-4 record in 2015. The Tigers began the season 8-0 and climbed as high as No. 13 in the national polls. Memphis also debuted at No. 13 in 2015’s first College Football Playoff (CFP) poll in early November. Memphis ended 2015 with its second-straight postseason appearance, this time accepting an invitation to play in the Birmingham Bowl.

Memphis offense is averaging 51 points in 2016, after scoring 77 on BG last weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

We've had at least a dozen crowds of more that 6K people.  If we ever were to win consistently, a 6K arena will be too small.  Near the end of JJ's last year we were drawing about 5K a game in the Sunbelt for crying out loud.  I will never be on board with an arena that small.

For the one's that would like a smaller arena, you kind of proved their point. Look at the dates on those. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

UTA's College Park Center seats 7,000.

SMU's Moody Coliseum seats 7,000.

TCU's Ed and Rae Schollmaier (formerly Daniel Meyer) Arena seats 6,800.

UNT shouldn't go smaller than any of those schools given our student and alumni body sizes. Problem with indoor arenas is if you build too small, there's no real feasible way to make them bigger.

• Upvote 3