A West Point/NYC Primer

letsgiveacheer

I am flying up from Houston and flying my dad up from Dallas. He has been the caretaker for my mom the last year (bad health) and is in need of a weekend off. My thoughts are to fly in on Friday afternoon and head to the trade center museum. We are staying at the Marriott downtown which I believe is close to the museum and close to the pier for the game day ferry. I hope to meet a lot of you on the trip. We may eat at Bobby vans on Saturday night

Thanks @letsgiveacheer for the info!

Having been last time we played Army I can say two things, best road venue ever and the Cadet Review on the Plain is worth making.

Important note, the Cadet Review he mentioned starts at 9am on Saturday so if you want to see that you'll need to get there another way than the ferry. And yes they did play our fight song last time :thumbsup:

• Upvote 2

I would also highly recommend looking at AirBnB. NY hotels are crazy expensive, and most of the reasonable options are shitholes.

There are tens of thousands of great apartments on AirBnB to choose from, usually $100 less/night than a sub par hotel. And don't forget Brooklyn. Neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Dumbo, etc are beautiful and no more than one or two subway stops from Manhattan. 

I keep a good Google Doc of stuff to do/see/drink/stuff your face with too. Feel free to have a look here.

Edited by Graham
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

I would also highly recommend looking at AirBnB. NY hotels are crazy expensive, and most of the reasonable options are shitholes.

However there are literally tens of thousands of great apartments on AirBnB to choose from, usually $100 less/night than a sub par hotel. And don't forget Brooklyn. Neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Dumbo, etc are beautiful and no more than one or two subway stops from Manhattan. 

I keep a good Google Doc of stuff to do/see/drink/stuff your face with too. Feel free to have a look here.

Nice link. I wish I could make this trip. I have only heard great things from people who have made it. Maybe in 2018.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2016 at 10:17 PM, untcampbell said:

Thanks for that information. I am in NYC once a quarter and will use this information in the future. One category you forgot to address:

I am going with my wife and two kids, staying in Tribeca and want to have a nice dinner one night but not spend more than $50 per person.

Got any advice for this one?

GMG

Hello. Depending upon the age of your kids, you may want to consider Ninja New York. I have not been there but understand from colleagues with children that is a good place to visit. http://www.ninjanewyork.com/

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Didn't Carnagie Deli just announce it was closing?  What a shame.

Yes, although I am no fan, it is part of the NYC landscape and will be missed.  For deli, I like Sarge's or 2nd Ave.  Katz's is fun but it has become so popular that the wait can be enormous.

• Upvote 1

If the opportunity presents itself, take a moment to talk to some of the cadets.  I've found that West Point dudes are usually the most laid back of the academy types (Shipwreck Tech and Zoomie U being the more pompous of the two) and it usually makes for good conversation.  These guys have dedicated themselves to a four year stay at a minimum security prison, so real, human interaction is something they appreciate.  A number of my friends from training at Fort Sill changed my thoughts about USMA.  Really chill cats. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2016 at 8:33 AM, Ryan Munthe said:

If you decide to stay in the valley instead of NYC, do not stay in Newburgh.

Do. Not. Stay. In. Newburgh.

agreed. a lot of the old industrial towns that fell on hard times in the 80s have made some namely bohemian-centric come-backs. Newburgh is not one of those towns. 

however if you do opt for the Hudson Valley over the city...directly across the river from Newburgh is Beacon...that is one of the towns that has experienced a vibrant revival. I'd also suggest the towns of Cold Spring and Rhinebeck on the east side of the Hudson (though the latter is probably an hour's drive), or Cornwall-on-Hudson on the west side, maybe 15-20 minutes from West Point. if you opt for this little town, I highly recommend building in some time to make the drive on NY-218...a windy road built into the cliffs over the Hudson River. 

even recognizing that the lot of this crowd isn't terribly arty...I'd still highly recommend the Dia:Beacon and Storm King Art Center...the prior is a massive modern art collection housed in an old ship-building warehouse...the latter is a beautiful outdoor sculpture garden. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

even recognizing that the lot of this crowd isn't terribly arty...I'd still highly recommend the Dia:Beacon and Storm King Art Center...the prior is a massive modern art collection housed in an old ship-building warehouse...the latter is a beautiful outdoor sculpture garden. 

Thanks for those tips!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 0:29 PM, Graham said:

There are tens of thousands of great apartments on AirBnB to choose from, usually $100 less/night than a sub par hotel. And don't forget Brooklyn. Neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Dumbo, etc are beautiful and no more than one or two subway stops from Manhattan. 

Post-trip thank for the Google Doc. Went to Russ & Daughters and it was great, of course now it means I have to find a decent Bagel place in Dallas because I realize what a real NY bagel tastes like.

Also, checked out the High Line, very cool.

One to add to your list is Eataly on 23rd. Italian Food Disneyland.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Post-trip thank for the Google Doc. Went to Russ & Daughters and it was great, of course now it means I have to find a decent Bagel place in Dallas because I realize what a real NY bagel tastes like.

Also, checked out the High Line, very cool.

One to add to your list is Eataly on 23rd. Italian Food Disneyland.

Glad to hear it man! And you're right – I totally need to add Eatly to that list. It's a sausage and carbohydrate wonderland. 

Good luck with the Dallas bagel hunt @meangreenhoops. Holler at me if find anything decent. 

Thanks to those that provided NYC tips. Here is one for you guys, if you haven't found this place yet.

Family met up with one of my alumni friends (class of 1983). He lives in Morningside Heights. Took us to a small club Saturday night called Showman's on 125th in Harlem, about 3 blocks from the A Train stop. Doesn't get the notoriety of the Apollo, down the street. Thank Goodness, because the venue is small and packed. Three sets. The last one, some of the musicians from the Apollo usually come down and sit in. Blues and Jazz. No cover, two drink minimum. Lady who owns the place runs the place. Doesn't tolerate BS. She cooks something every night and, as best as I can tell, hands it out at no charge if you ask if their is a menu. Lasagna was the dish, served up in a real nice styrofoam bowl. Delicious! Heard her chicken and rice is worth coming back for.

Music: John Smith (guitar), Nate Lucas (Hammond organ), drums, percussion. Lady named Maxine was celebrating her birthday. We had to leave before cake was served but I understand everyone in the place got a piece. Felt like we were part of the family after about 15 minutes.

Heard that Red Roosters soul food is over the top good (pricey and you need a reservation), good music also.

Also, the High Line is awesome. Next up is http://thelowline.org. They are building this near Columbia University off of 125th. If I understand correctly, they are building this park UNDER the existing elevated rail line.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1