Friday pre-Gator scattershooting

Harry

Is it just me or do these "payday" games seem to suck the energy level out of our entire fanbase?  On the one hand we want to support the team and hope for a good showing against a superior (on paper) opponent.  On the other hand we are scared to generate too much enthusiasm about the game because we have been disappointed so many times on the road in these scenarios before.  Sort of avoiding the "Big" letdown.

Of course all of us hope and pray that someday we can look forward to a game like this against a #23 ranked opponent in such a storied setting.  However, based on our history, not to mention the prognosticators -- this game seems to mirror watching the execution of a loved one.

RV used to say we need to play these types of games against big programs because of the opportunity it presented.  I never really bought that.  Maybe if we had a program hitting on all cylinders you could make that case.  We haven't had one of those in a decade.  There are signs that may be changing.

My hope is that Littrell will do a better job coaching on the road.  Not just in a game against the #23 program but against teams in our conference.

The honest truth is that it will take a long time to rebuild that "road-game"  trust amongst the fanbase.  I remember the pain I felt when I attended the FIU game on the road to start the Mac area.  We were absolutely demolished in the rain.  The Houston trip to play the Coogs 3 years back when we felt like we should be able to give them a game and they ran away with it.  The Tulane game when they came back to win with a field goal in the last seconds.  The Texas game where we faced one of the most beatable Texas programs in their history... the list goes on.  there have been so many road disappointments over the years.

Hopefully Littrell and company will be able to build back the ability to show something on the road.  Hopefully Wren Baker will figure out a way to get us out of these unwinnable situations UNTIL such time that we have a fighting chance to win them.  But for now, all we have is hope and that is why I think things are fairly quiet heading into this Florida game.

I hear you, Harry, but this old dog has seen a lot of improbable shit happen over the years (starting with Paul Hornung in Notre Dame Stadium). I've made several road trips of the kind you describe, only to feel disemboweled at the end...but they were fun. My only consolation is that it is a game...played with a strange ball that takes odd bounces...and I hope to live to see the ball bounce our way.  You have no chance of ever experiencing that if you don't play the games. Support the Mean Green, win or lose, as they line up and take their best shot to rock the world! There are a lot of story lines here...handing the Gators a loss would be the stuff movies are made of.

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

It's not just you @Harry I basically can't wait to get to next week and have this game behind us.

Thank man.  My post was not meant to be negative in any way.  I'm thrilled with the direction we are heading.  Just realizing this redo will take time.  #patience

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I get excited about these weeks. It is the only time I can get my coworkers to acknowledge we have a team. It was really nice the Georgia week.

Agreed. I even get the occasional "Really, they're in the same division?" I'm thinking, yes, you jackasss NT is a FBS school......

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Is it just me or do these "payday" games seem to suck the energy level out of our entire fanbase?  On the one hand we want to support the team and hope for a good showing against a superior (on paper) opponent.  On the other hand we are scared to generate too much enthusiasm about the game because we have been disappointed so many times on the road in these scenarios before.  Sort of avoiding the "Big" letdown.

Of course all of us hope and pray that someday we can look forward to a game like this against a #23 ranked opponent in such a storied setting.  However, based on our history, not to mention the prognosticators -- this game seems to mirror watching the execution of a loved one.

RV used to say we need to play these types of games against big programs because of the opportunity it presented.  I never really bought that.  Maybe if we had a program hitting on all cylinders you could make that case.  We haven't had one of those in a decade.  There are signs that may be changing.

My hope is that Littrell will do a better job coaching on the road.  Not just in a game against the #23 program but against teams in our conference.

The honest truth is that it will take a long time to rebuild that "road-game"  trust amongst the fanbase.  I remember the pain I felt when I attended the FIU game on the road to start the Mac area.  We were absolutely demolished in the rain.  The Houston trip to play the Coogs 3 years back when we felt like we should be able to give them a game and they ran away with it.  The Tulane game when they came back to win with a field goal in the last seconds.  The Texas game where we faced one of the most beatable Texas programs in their history... the list goes on.  there have been so many road disappointments over the years.

Hopefully Littrell and company will be able to build back the ability to show something on the road.  Hopefully Wren Baker will figure out a way to get us out of these unwinnable situations UNTIL such time that we have a fighting chance to win them.  But for now, all we have is hope and that is why I think things are fairly quiet heading into this Florida game.

I'm right there with you Harry. I used to look forward to these games, even when we were 1-AA. During that era we beat SMU, TCU, Rice, Tech, New Mexico (after driving all the way out there on buses), Kansas St (1985), and of course we got screwed by Texas in 88.  After Dickey took over, except for that Baylor win at Fouts (52-14) all our "opportunity" games have been a big give up, and that seems to have infected other coaching regimes since DD has left.  It hasn't completely killed my enthusiasm as a North Texas fan, but it has taken a lot out of me.

That, and the decline of the North Texas band as a football band. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Harry said:

How do we make a judgement on our team based on this game? Stay healthy! Hold them to less than 40 and score at least 21? Same on the BC game fans complained we should of scored more! The Rice game is the key game to tell what Fine and the team can do the rest of the season! GMG 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I can't say I buy that either. I think and this may just be me, but he did it to avoid true dedication to his job. 

• Upvote 1

Is it really that it is because it's Florida, or is it just the idea of losing that whips you?

I love these big games, but I wonder: if we were losing 3-4 OOC games every year regardless of opponent, wouldn't the energy still be sucked?

I like playing these big games, but would agree that they can be shelved for now while we build something with more probable wins on our OOC slate.

• Upvote 2

So where and when do we break through?

2017 at Iowa, 2018 at Arkansas, 2019 at Wisconsin, 2020 at Texas A&M, or 2021 at Missouri

Right now, I would say 2018 at Arkansas; but that means great progress by UNT in two years. Both Iowa and Arkansas would be 30 points plus favorites if we played them this year. So let's hope "body bag" games become benchmark games. 

Note added Saturday - so North Dakota State beats Iowa 23-21 and puts an interesting wrinkle in this.

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 1

Visiting a Badger game is at or near the top of my college football bucket list, and things are setting up nicely for me to be financially able to do this in 2019.

I would absolutely flip if I get up there in 2019 and we are in a position to not only compete but actual win.

Two things come to mind: One, Litrell could be gone by then if this takes off.  Second, Wren has talked about reneg'ing future schedules.  That game might not even happen? I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Thank man.  My post was not meant to be negative in any way.  I'm thrilled with the direction we are heading.  Just realizing this redo will take time.  #patience

I didn't take it negatively at all, nor did I mean to seem that way in my response. I agree it appears the direction is good. If we were playing this game at home I'd be looking forward to it. Not so much because of the opponent, but because we would have a much better chance than on the road.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rws69 said:

2017 at Iowa, 2018 at Arkansas, 2019 at Wisconsin, 2020 at Texas A&M, or 2021 at Missouri

Right now, I would say 2018 at Arkansas; but that means great progress by UNT in two years. Both Iowa and Arkansas would be 30 points plus favorites if we played them this year. So let's hope "body bag" games become benchmark games. 

Mizzou is probably the easiest opponent on this list.

17 hours ago, rws69 said:

Iowa is a possibility along with Arkansas.