MGB: UNT hires new CFO

Brett Vito

5 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Wish Vito had given a bit more about her financial background, but I guess being CFO at the AAC shows she (likely) qualified. 

I've no reason to think she's not but I just like see more qualifications for financial people. 

I'm very glad Baker created this position as it's needed with the size of the budgets! 

From the AAC website:

Martin’s diverse experience at Memphis includes managing the comprehensive athletics department budget, creating a new 501(c)(3) corporation, completing over $70 million in bond issuances with state authorities, dealing with financial compliance issues, annual departmental financial planning, and analysis and price optimization for all game-day inventory. She has also served as Memphis’ Senior Woman Administrator, and supervised women’s basketball, travel, licensing, events and facilities, capital projects, and human resources.

Before joining the staff at Memphis, Martin served as Assistant Athletic Director for Business at Kansas State, and prior to that, she served for eight years at her alma mater, San Jose State University, as Senior Associate Athletic Director and COO.  She is a recent Past-President and five-year Executive Committee member of the Collegiate Athletic Business Management Association, was named 2009 West Region Administrator of the Year by the region’s women’s gymnastics coaches, has partnered with the NCAA on the development of a Global Business Travel Association workshop for athletic business officers, and was the tournament manager of the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball South Regional.

Martin holds an undergraduate degree, cum laude, in business administration, with a concentration in corporate financial management, and an MBA in finance, both from San Jose State University. Additionally, she serves as a member of the Global Business Travel Association Sports Committee and has participated in the Sports Management Institute’s Executive Education Program.

• Upvote 7

Looks like another great hire.

So, if I understand correctly, the new A.D. hierarchy is

The Wren

/\

COO Jared Mosley   CFO Stacy Martin

/        \

Everybody else

Or maybe Ms. Martin is working under Mr. Mosley, at the same level as, e.g., Hank?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 4

I don't know what Mosley was making annually as the President/CEO of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, and I don't know what Martin was making as the CFO of the AAC, but I cant imagine they would leave their jobs at those two places to come to North Texas as deputy ADs unless there was some kind of pay upgrade.

Two VERY IMPRESSIVE hires based on resume and current position.

Can't help but think Martin can help us when it comes to positioning ourselves for possible future membership in the AAC.

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Looks like another great hire.

So, if I understand correctly, the new A.D. hierarchy is

The Wren

/\

/        \

Everybody else

Or maybe Ms. Martin is working under Mr. Mosley, at the same level as, e.g., Hank?

The Wren

/\

/        \

Everybody else

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

The Ticket Office

• Upvote 6

In my experience building up the bureaucracy in any organization can be very counter productive.   Both new position are being filled with very qualified candidates, but do these positions provide the most bang for the buck.  The next step is most often that this new level staff will hire more employees, a trend  that can quickly get out of hand.   

RV was IMO grossly unqualified, I would think replacing him would not take multiple staff additions.   The universal answer to support staff build-ups is that they will more than pay for themselves.   Sadly, this is not often the case.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The next step is most often that this new level staff will hire more employees, a trend  that can quickly get out of hand.    

I appreciate the thoughts.  But could it be the case that the new hires under the new structure will replace current employees under the previous structure?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

From the AAC website:

Martin’s diverse experience at Memphis includes managing the comprehensive athletics department budget, creating a new 501(c)(3) corporation, completing over $70 million in bond issuances with state authorities, dealing with financial compliance issues, annual departmental financial planning, and analysis and price optimization for all game-day inventory. She has also served as Memphis’ Senior Woman Administrator, and supervised women’s basketball, travel, licensing, events and facilities, capital projects, and human resources.

Before joining the staff at Memphis, Martin served as Assistant Athletic Director for Business at Kansas State, and prior to that, she served for eight years at her alma mater, San Jose State University, as Senior Associate Athletic Director and COO.  She is a recent Past-President and five-year Executive Committee member of the Collegiate Athletic Business Management Association, was named 2009 West Region Administrator of the Year by the region’s women’s gymnastics coaches, has partnered with the NCAA on the development of a Global Business Travel Association workshop for athletic business officers, and was the tournament manager of the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball South Regional.

Martin holds an undergraduate degree, cum laude, in business administration, with a concentration in corporate financial management, and an MBA in finance, both from San Jose State University. Additionally, she serves as a member of the Global Business Travel Association Sports Committee and has participated in the Sports Management Institute’s Executive Education Program.

Got to love the quality of the recent hires! Congrats to all and thanks to Prez Smat! 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

In my experience building up the bureaucracy in any organization can be very counter productive.   Both new position are being filled with very qualified candidates, but do these positions provide the most bang for the buck.  The next step is most often that this new level staff will hire more employees, a trend  that can quickly get out of hand.   

RV was IMO grossly unqualified, I would think replacing him would not take multiple staff additions.   The universal answer to support staff build-ups is that they will more than pay for themselves.   Sadly, this is not often the case.  

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I appreciate the thoughts.  But could it be the case that the new hires under the new structure will replace current employees under the previous structure?

Or that the department, budget, and other factors (regulatory pressure, conference requirements, and goals) have changed significantly and the previous department structure wasn't staffed correctly.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Another home run hire by Wren Baker. Great move to get a COO and CFO established as the top 2 employees reporting to him. As far as adding layers of bureaucracy that @GrandGreen references, I don't view this as that type of hire, or Baker to have that type of approach. This has been a much needed position within the AD for a period of time (there's hasn't been a financial decision maker in the department besides RV), and this gives Baker someone that he can trust to manage the financial side of the department. Stacy Martin looks highly qualified for this position, and looks to be a great addition!

In reference to Hank, this will probably make him #4 in the department now. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Both is fine, but it's a lot easier and a better experience to undersell and over deliver than over selling and under delivering like ole RV used to do. If we get into a position where we are in consideration for a conference change then by all means seize the opportunity 

• Upvote 1