MGB: Five thoughts following UNT's win over Bethune-Cookman

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Fine has some zip on his ball, but I haven't seen his deep throws. As far as I what Ive seen, a very different looking ball than Hall's.

Mason reminds me more of Vizza. In fact, somewhere between Gio and Rodge. It might have something to do with how different Dickey ball is from SL/TD.

I mentioned it in another post, he reminds of Vizza. He appears to be a better athlete than Dodge. Definitely, has a stronger arm than Dodge...

Edited by Got5onIt

8 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

6.  No more "Let it Fly Like an Eagle".  Am I right or did I just not notice?

It played.

4 hours ago, mgfan said:

The wife and I definitely heard it in the 4th quarter. We then talked about how many times we have heard that song. 

I like the pregame chants. The guy just says "mean green" or "north texas" at an awkward time instead of saying it with the crowd. 

He was timing it as a prompt a few beats before each.

For fun.  Full NT-OU 2001 matchup (with Hall).  I marched this game. I remember lining up getting ready to march our halftime performance, and some Sooner douche tossed a freakin orange street cone at the band. I think it hit a woodwind player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GGcgz_uHw&feature=youtu.be

(can't get it to embed, sorry)

<3 DCB

DCB.png

Edited by greenminer

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Scott Hall didn't? He played in a play action passing game and had the best deep ball I ever saw on a Mean Green qb. 

His YPA was #20 and #3 in the nation his last two years.

there was an "and" in that statement Scott had an arm for sure. I never saw those kind of wheels

11 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

That is correct. Replaced with more screaming eagle "caw" sound effects.

Dude. No more "CAW!" That is the lamest thing I've ever seen/heard. Eagles screetch. Crows caw. Let's at least get that right.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The sound effect is a screetch. The students saw caw cause it is even lamer to try to screetch... Idk why so many people have an issue with that. It is no lamer than pig souieeee or any other corny sound teams make. I promise if we ever have 50k fans cawing at once, it wont be lame then... Social principles darn near guarantee it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Thank you.  The "Caw" is embarrassing.  Pig souiee is a call for a pig not the sound it makes.

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

For fun.  Full NT-OU 2001 matchup (with Hall).  I marched this game. I remember lining up getting ready to march our halftime performance, and some Sooner douche tossed a freakin orange street cone at the band. I think it hit a woodwind player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GGcgz_uHw&feature=youtu.be

(can't get it to embed, sorry)

<3 DCB

DCB.png

Man, DC Boy was awfully young.  Bet he learned some colorful words following DD around.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

Ah yes.   On the opening drive Ja'Mel Branch takes a 3WR right screen 60 yards to the OU redzone (but Dickey only ran draws!) and then the drive stalls out on a phantom offensive pass interference call.  

Have to love home cooking.  Even with the refs helping them it was a 4 point game late in the second half.    

For those of you complaining about the band trying to teach the "North Texas Fiiiiiiiiiight!" chant, if you knew about it, and you would do it, then they wouldn't need to teach the entire stadium on gameday.   

Here's a hint:   They play it every defensive 3rd down in an effort to queue the crowd to make noise... making it harder for the opposing offense to hear/execute.   So if you're also concerned about the crowd not getting loud, maybe we should be glad that Dr. Williams is trying to do something to change that.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Ah yes.   On the opening drive Ja'Mel Branch takes a 3WR right screen 60 yards to the OU redzone (but Dickey only ran draws!) and then the drive stalls out on a phantom offensive pass interference call.  

Have to love home cooking.  Even with the refs helping them it was a 4 point game late in the second half.    

How about that purty ball at 43'30" in the video? Marshall gets behind the OU secondary and Hall places it perfectly.

21 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I mentioned it in another post, he reminds of Vizza. He appears to be a better athlete than Dodge. Definitely, has a stronger arm than Dodge...

Much better arm than Dodge. That means he actually has an arm. 

Fine is a good runner and is quick, but he isn't on Dodge's level speed wise and especially not with shiftiness. 

The SMU kid reminded me of a full grown Rodge. That's what Rodge brought to the table. 

Fine is a very mobile QB, especially when compared to Morris, but he isn't in Rodge's class when it comes to his wheels.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

On 9/11/2016 at 4:24 PM, Got5onIt said:

On 9/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Better athlete?  I don't know about that.  Stronger arm though, for sure.  By the time Riley got to UNT, he had nothing left in that arm.

On 9/11/2016 at 4:36 PM, Got5onIt said:

Maybe even athletes? Dodge could move, no doubt. Fine is quicker than I was expecting.

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Much better arm than Dodge. That means he actually has an arm. 

Fine is a good runner and is quick, but he isn't on Dodge's level speed wise and especially not with shiftiness. 

The SMU kid reminded me of a full grown Rodge. That's what Rodge brought to the table. 

Fine is a very mobile QB, especially when compared to Morris, but he isn't in Rodge's class when it comes to his wheels.

Gotta agree with 90 on the wheels. Rodge was pretty damn fast.

11 hours ago, Cerebus said:

That was a pick play if there ever was one. Even if they didn't call it the pass was incomplete and we would have kicked a FG. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Hall is standing on the 50 and drops it right to Marshall at about the 3.  

Man, I didn't even think about that.  Hall has his back foot on the 50, and doesn't even fully step into his throw.  He just gets some good rotation above the waste and tear-drops it inside the 5 yard line.  Marshall catches it in stride and those defensive backs don't stand a chance at making a play on the ball.

Edited by greenminer

I remember when Hall came into one of his first games and promptly tossed a pass about 7 yards over a receiver's head. I turned to a buddy and said "I haven't seen anybody overthrow a receiver here since my Freshman year" (Mitch Maher's last year).

He had much better wheels early on, but the knee injury in 2001 sapped some of that.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

That was a pick play if there ever was one. Even if they didn't call it the pass was incomplete and we would have kicked a FG. 

Yep.  I watched that last night.  Pretty obvious pick.  Now I saw some phantom holding calls throughout the game.