MGB: Five thoughts following UNT's win over Bethune-Cookman

Brett Vito

"Trevor Moore's times to shine

UNT fans probably take their kicker for granted, but they shouldn’t. Moore still hasn’t missed an extra point in his career and broke the school record for consecutive makes tonight. He came in tied for the school record with 61 straight makes and banged through five more and is up to 66 straight now."

Thats my boy!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Did I notice Jeffrey Wilson on the sideline in the second half with his arm in a sling and a bag of ice on shoulder? Can anyone tell me if he has a serious injury or just a ding?

He took a hit early in the game.  He was sitting on the bench early in the game testing the mobility of that right shoulder.  The trainers took his pads off, put some spray on it, wrapped it up and put his pads back on.  He hit the field again on the next series.  I think they just iced his shoulder because we were starting to put the back ups in.  I'm not too worried about his shoulder given what I saw during the game.

My thoughts on NT vs BC:

Beautiful night for football

Don't like games against lower division schools, but this one worked

BC played to stop the passing game and paid for it

Fine is one tough dude

Band had basically same half time show as last week, good routine but not exactly thrilling two weeks in a row (got to have a band comment)

Offensive line dominated in the run game

Defense gave up one td, with mostly reserves playing; see great things ahead

WR's got to improve

BC had as many fans as SMU in 2014

Dislike the pre-game cheering lessons

Offense as much as they dominated, should have scored more

Great to see the team have a well deserved good time

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

6.  No more "Let it Fly Like an Eagle".  Am I right or did I just not notice?

The wife and I definitely heard it in the 4th quarter. We then talked about how many times we have heard that song. 

I like the pregame chants. The guy just says "mean green" or "north texas" at an awkward time instead of saying it with the crowd. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, mgfan said:

The wife and I definitely heard it in the 4th quarter. We then talked about how many times we have heard that song. 

I like the pregame chants. The guy just says "mean green" or "north texas" at an awkward time instead of saying it with the crowd. 

I'd be happy if the guy didn't say anything at all.  I'd think people would figure it out.  We never used to do this before and these chants have been around for years.  My 14 year old commented on that learning the cheers and chants are for student pep rallies, not at the actual games.  Heck, I figured the chants out over the years without anyone teaching them to me...and I aint all that smart.

Let it fly = when we run in for at touchdown annoys me the whole slogan is horrible anyway. 

11 hours ago, risinggreen said:

I don't really think of Scott Hall at all while watching Fine. They're very different players out there on than  e field. Nice performance tonight regardless. 

No doubt not even close to the same, Fine has an arm and speed. Hall was great general, which Fine may have we will see. IF so he will well surpass Hall. 

I brought two people with me last night that are new to the area and have no affiliation with UNT for their first Mean Green game. When they started with the "cheer lessons" they both turned to me and asked if those cheers were new for this year. As soon as I told them that I did those same cheers in the student section 15 years ago, they both let out a collective gasp and a "oh I'm sorry"....

The similarities I see between Fine and Hall would be when Hall played his freshman year against Baylor.  The athleticism Hall displayed was evident immediately, but keep in mind, this was prior to his knee injuries that limited his mobility later in his MG career.