Butt Cookman game prediction thread

UNT90

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

then he would be at Utep they have no standards-99.9% acceptance rate, the only guy who did not get in applied through the mail and forgot to put a stamp on the envelope.

UTEP has a 100% acceptance rate,  However the NCAA still has minimum requirements to receive an athletic scholarship.  

On 9/7/2016 at 9:39 PM, Mean_Green09 said:

7 1st team All MEAC Preseaon selections. If you put UNT in their conference I'm not sure we'd have 7.

Care to break down the MEAC for us? I'd love to hear from some one in-the-know.

I am more interested, however, in hearing how this B-C team compares to last year's PSU team.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Care to break down the MEAC for us? I'd love to hear from some one in-the-know.

I am more interested, however, in hearing how this B-C team compares to last year's PSU team.

More raw talent than PSU IMO.  Not as good in the execution dept. Last year I think Portland St was what ranked 10th in FCS or 17th. This Cookman team is probably top 40. 

On 9/7/2016 at 9:41 AM, UNTLifer said:

I just find it disrespectful.  We  dislike when people call us North Texas State and that was our official name for years.  Outside of SMUt, we should be respectful of all of our opponents.  I would much rather be referred to as a good fan base like Nebraska as opposed to the opposite, say of LSU.

Totally agree with you here. Other than a few teams that have given us a reason to not like them, either because of dirty plays on the field (MTSU dirty hits on Branch for people around since Dickey years) or bad experiences with fans (anytime we go to OU?), I see no reason to name call the opponents as I sure don't like it when they call us by stupid names.

Hey guys. I am a Bethune-Cookman fan and I am very much looking forward to the matchup against your beloved Mean Green. I think we will learn a lot about both of our squads by 10:00pm Saturday.

Before my quick thoughts, some of the names you guys came up with for my school are hilarious. No offense taken.

Anywho.....BCU has been a TOP 25 FCS program over most of the past 6 seasons. We are just outside the rankings this year largely because of the loss of our QB who led all the FCS in QB Efficiency last year. Larry Brimh is the #1 QB for now but expect to see Arkevious Williams (who was a FL State recruit until a knee injury sidelined him) split time at QB. You may also see a package for Anthony Cruz  who is 6-5, 215. All 3 QBs are dual threats.

We have athletes all over the field so we won't be overmatched from a speed or athleticism standpoint; however, your depth should be better based on having 20 extra schollys. The strength of our team is at wide receiver. We have transfers from Miami, NC State, W. Michigan, and Cincinnati playing the position for us BUT the Top 2 wideouts (Jawill Davis -17 and Frank Brown - 15) were signed out of high school.

Our defense is really fast but young. Safety Diquan Richardson (#22), MLB Trenton Bridges (#42), and DT DeMarcus Womack are players to watch.

BCU beat FBS Florida International in 2013 and 2014 and it would not be a surprise if the Wildcats captured their 3rd FBS scalp against UNT. I know the thought is painful for you guys but it's a real possibility.

The talent is pretty close between these squads. Bethune is use to winning so that's a real advantage for us. UNT has the depth and home field so that helps you guys. UNT will not overlook BCU based on last year's debacle to PSU so the key to me is early success and turnovers.  I think we are looking at a 28-24 type contest. 

If you have questions, ask away.

• Upvote 6

BCU QB Larry Brihm has a decent throwing arm but most of his success in his first 2 years (albeit in a backup role) has come through his legs. The word out of camp was he was sitting in the pocket longer and throwing the ball more accurately. I guess we will see what happens when the lights turn on Saturday night. 

South Dakota St. walked into TCU's Amon Carter Stadium last weekend & almost walked out with a win against the Horned Frogs.  Few of us are taking any pre-game victory laps with our team presently in another rebuilding mode.

D1 FBS transfers becoming immediately eligibile at FCS  schools is a very nice early Christmas gift for many such schools, though. 

UNT 28....BC 21

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

12 hours ago, JB1998 said:

Hey guys. I am a Bethune-Cookman fan and I am very much looking forward to the matchup against your beloved Mean Green. I think we will learn a lot about both of our squads by 10:00pm Saturday.

Before my quick thoughts, some of the names you guys came up with for my school are hilarious. No offense taken.

Anywho.....BCU has been a TOP 25 FCS program over most of the past 6 seasons. We are just outside the rankings this year largely because of the loss of our QB who led all the FCS in QB Efficiency last year. Larry Brimh is the #1 QB for now but expect to see Arkevious Williams (who was a FL State recruit until a knee injury sidelined him) split time at QB. You may also see a package for Anthony Cruz  who is 6-5, 215. All 3 QBs are dual threats.

We have athletes all over the field so we won't be overmatched from a speed or athleticism standpoint; however, your depth should be better based on having 20 extra schollys. The strength of our team is at wide receiver. We have transfers from Miami, NC State, W. Michigan, and Cincinnati playing the position for us BUT the Top 2 wideouts (Jawill Davis -17 and Frank Brown - 15) were signed out of high school.

Our defense is really fast but young. Safety Diquan Richardson (#22), MLB Trenton Bridges (#42), and DT DeMarcus Womack are players to watch.

BCU beat FBS Florida International in 2013 and 2014 and it would not be a surprise if the Wildcats captured their 3rd FBS scalp against UNT. I know the thought is painful for you guys but it's a real possibility.

The talent is pretty close between these squads. Bethune is use to winning so that's a real advantage for us. UNT has the depth and home field so that helps you guys. UNT will not overlook BCU based on last year's debacle to PSU so the key to me is early success and turnovers.  I think we are looking at a 28-24 type contest. 

If you have questions, ask away.

Wait, your not offended by stupid Internet message board jibberish? Congrats, you are smarter than a lot of our regular posters. There are plenty here that will be offended for you. ?

UNT only has 72 scholarship players this year. Our last AD and coach royally F'd this program. Both were fired after last year's extreme lack of results. Depth won't be an advantage one way or the other.

I think UNT has an advantage due to the fact they have played a complete game and have a better picture of how new personnel perform in live game action.

For the record, I came up with the Butt Cookmam name. Mainly out of laziness with a touch of contempt for the last UNT AD who took his midday snack more seriously than scheduling football games. The laziness is just spelling confusion on the first name. 

Trust me. We overlook no one. I expect this to be a very close game and quite possibly UNT's lone shot at a win this year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

22 hours ago, Cerebus said:

UTEP has a 100% acceptance rate,  However the NCAA still has minimum requirements to receive an athletic scholarship.  

You think they do?, but have you seen some those players speak after a game?  I don't think they are all making it to class. 

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

UNT - 17

BC - 13

Love to hear the reason behind this score prediction, we don't have a strong defense to hold them to 13.

On September 8, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Withers940 said:

Not necessarily. He might not be a book nerd and that might of led to him going to a lesser school

And how are you deciding they're a "lesser school"? FCS ball? HBCU? Cause your possible assumption in academics to each is foolish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

You think they do?, but have you seen some those players speak after a game?  I don't think they are all making it to class. 

Lol...The student-athlete model is falling apart across the country. All due to the amount of money involved and the win-now kind of pressure. But I am amazed by the education level of some of the athletes around the country. I know that Southern Miss' ACT acceptance standard to play ball there is a 14. Wonder what UNT's is. Nevertheless, it's fully turned into a punchline. What's crazier is that many of these same universities are letting athletes into their grad programs to squeeze a redshirt in or a transfer rule. I guess GMAT and GRE doesn't apply here. It must not. 

And to dog pile a little more...John Calipari always talks about graduating his players and is all great and dandy. But he talks about graduating some of his players in 2 1/2 years. TWO AND A HALF YEARS. I graduated in 2 1/2 yrs from UNT and I took full class loads straight through and even had adviser approval to take more than the alloted amount the last full year. I had no obligations while going through school and it was damn difficult. There is literally no way that these athletes are legally doing this given their daily obligation to their sport. It's fraud and if the NCAA didn't care about losing money I'd have to imagine it'd be easy to expose. Money over everything is the NCAA's model unless there is a truck ton of public outcry. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Lol...The student-athlete model is falling apart across the country. All due to the amount of money involved and the win-now kind of pressure. But I am amazed by the education level of some of the athletes around the country. I know that Southern Miss' ACT acceptance standard to play ball there is a 14. Wonder what UNT's is. Nevertheless, it's fully turned into a punchline. What's crazier is that many of these same universities are letting athletes into their grad programs to squeeze a redshirt in or a transfer rule. I guess GMAT and GRE doesn't apply here. It must not. 

And to dog pile a little more...John Calipari always talks about graduating his players and is all great and dandy. But he talks about graduating some of his players in 2 1/2 years. TWO AND A HALF YEARS. I graduated in 2 1/2 yrs from UNT and I took full class loads straight through and even had adviser approval to take more than the alloted amount the last full year. I had no obligations while going through school and it was damn difficult. There is literally no way that these athletes are legally doing this given their daily obligation to their sport. It's fraud and if the NCAA didn't care about losing money I'd have to imagine it'd be easy to expose. Money over everything is the NCAA's model unless there is a truck ton of public outcry. 

So because they can't speak in public or aren't comfortable speaking in front of a camera they aren't educated?  I'd LOVE to see you be interviewed live on a news station and see how awkward or weird it gets.  Keep the pot shots on our guys out please.  Not called for. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

So because they can't speak in public or aren't comfortable speaking in front of a camera they aren't educated?  I'd LOVE to see you be interviewed live on a news station and see how awkward or weird it gets.  Keep the pot shots on our guys out please.  Not called for. 

I'm not taking shots at anyone's guys. I'm taking shots at the system and the model that is the "student"-athlete. Accept the reality of it. Denying it prolongs it. 

Oh and I didn't say anything about speaking in public. That's just scratching the surface though.  And I speak to strangers every single day. My job dictates it. I have no problem with talking to anyone anywhere. Why you assume I would is kind of weird in its own right. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

there are people who don't like public speaking and there who love it and still can't do it.

7 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'm sorry if this hurt you whittle feelings.

• Downvote 3