SMU fan praises Apogee "experience"

Harry

My first time to apogee. Was actually impressed with the whole setup. Only complaint was that dumb cannon. What Is the point of that? Anyway, didn't even run into any obnoxious kids or UNT fans unlike at ford last year, was refreshing. Good show by UNT.

Their fans were very nice
Fans would talk smack and then offer a beer and food and treat us like friends

The attendance the last two years has been encouraging considering how lousy both teams have been.

NT people are pretty nice for the most part. They too suffer from fans who just don't give a **** about their teams just like us. Both schools have been generations removed from true football winners. This out of conference series isn't doing much to build fans and interest like I thought it might.

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82256&start=15

Re: Apogee Stadium 'Crowds'

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:23 pm

24,000-25,000 with little travel expense are good paydays for these schools (who have about 4 wins between them) -and that's why these games will likely continue.

SMU was well-represented IMO considering various factors. 124 and 125 were packed and you could see a good amount of red/blue on the home side of the stadium too.

Multiple UNT fans came up to us with congratulations after the game.

11 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Great to hear.  An OU fan that I work with said she'd never seen anything like the U of H fans.  The language and aggressiveness of the coug fans was a real turnoff for the whole program.  Having class still matters.

I thought the same thing when they came up to Apogee.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Great to hear.  An OU fan that I work with said she'd never seen anything like the U of H fans.  The language and aggressiveness of the coug fans was a real turnoff for the whole program.  Having class still matters.

They're pretty awful. Incredibly obnoxious. It's their "us vs the world" crap.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

18 hours ago, LongJim said:

They have nothing on Tech or Pig fan.

Tech is the worst. LSU is right there with them, but at least they win big. I've been told that West Virginia and Colorado are both just terrible, too.

In the last year of the original Big XII, the players were polled at the beginning of the season on who was the worst fanbase in the conference. Colorado got 18% of the vote, which was really high. But only one school trumped them...and it wasn't close--Tech got 36% of the vote as the worst fanbase by other Big XII players.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Which everytime I've ever been there I've thought to myself.."Where in hell are the people who actually went to college here?"

Rick

I think that just about every time I go to a P5 game. It's refreshing following a "G5" team closely. The fan base is far more witted and in tune with general ideas and reality around them. The dry humor and the corky jokes on here that most wouldn't get; and it's safe to say minimal folks at these P5 games would get. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Which everytime I've ever been there I've thought to myself.."Where in hell are the people who actually went to college here?"

Rick

I went to 3 games at OU.  I looked around & saw many whose ancestors tried to do my clan in at Fort Parker, circa May 19, 1836.   My scalp was crawling & had an unusual itch at all 3 games.  :)

Of course, I wholeheartedly admire Native Americans & especially the one wearing #5 for the Mean Green.  I hope he will lead us out of the wilderness.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

How do you know they didn't? Inquiring minds want to know exactly what that means?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/7/2016 at 11:55 AM, Got5onIt said:

How do you know they didn't? Inquiring minds want to know exactly what that means?

If you went, you'd know exactly what he means. LSU is horrible too, a LSU fan sitting next to me when we played there guessed the figure at 90%.

Crazy thing is my experiences at TTech have been pretty good. Was in line to buy a ticket for a friend when a Tech fan walked up and gave me one. 

My experiences with Tech are fairly balanced.  They HATED losing to us in the late 90s.  Both games the fans were a bit out of control--especially in '99.  Then I've been to games against them where I wasn't supporting UNT (ie: with other friends/family supporting their schools) and have had no problems.  Of course those schools were also Big 12/SEC.  I just think many fan bases have a hard time losing to schools that they consider beneath them.  It brings out the worst in our society---and is where we see the "class warfare" thing.

Of course, one of my all-time least favorite moments at UNT came right after the big 2003 Baylor win.  My wife and family are all Baylor alums and were treated like dog-crap by our fan base after that game.  I had to chase off one stupendously drunk student in the parking lot after the game when he made the mistake of bowing up to our group.  Mind you, I'm there in full UNT gear, having to chase off our own dumb@ss fans.  Heck, CUSA made a rule specifically targeted at our student seating section.  So, be careful about throwing stones.

Edited by TIgreen01