Thoughts From Saturday

MeanGreenTXN

Firstly, to each of you wonderful folks who recommended the Hilton Garden Inn, Roosters and Jupiter, thank you! Absolutely excellent on all fronts.

Secondly, parking at Fouts went smoothly and Apogee looked outstanding. This being my first time to see any of this, I was surprised at the density of committed tailgaters. I saw couches out there for goodness sake.

Positives: Everyone was friendly and respectful, even to SMUt fans. Pyrotechnics, the cannon, the sound system, cleanliness etc were all terrific. The band was outstanding and impressive because of course they were. The score didn't end up nearly as embarassing as I worried it might after the 1st half.

Negatives: Far too little green in the crowd. We need to work to make a sea of green a given. Also, apart from the east side/west side north/texas thing, it appeared no one knew what else to do when prompted or that they didn't care to participate. Could we scatter leaders or boosters about the stadium to help with that? Fans need to be called upon and required to engage and get loud with different yells and such. Finally, we need to win or get dang close. We got pretty handily smacked and a sparse few can watch that and return, certainly not with zeal and hope.

Campus looked great. Everyone in Denton is wildly laid back. Loved it.

I'll be back soon.

Edited by MeanGreenTXN
  • Upvote 3

I think you are wrong abut the negatives because the last sentence in the paragraph explains all the struggles.  I was a season ticket holder in 208 section.  I got tired of the what I saw Saturday nights and could no longer justify buying two tickets to games no one I know would want to come with me.  That includes alumni I keep in contact with family and friends.  I am not asking for much except to be competitive with almost every G5 team that comes to Apogee and beat any FCS team that comes to Denton.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I'll say this: As a Houston Astros, Houston Texans and a Houston Oilers fan... I support my teams as best I can, win or lose. I'm not a fan because they win. I'm a fan and that's that. I associate those teams with all the things I love about the place they represent, some childhood nostalgia and other fond thoughts are associated. The same is true for me with North Texas. It hurts to watch us struggle so much with football but perhaps in time we'll get there.

I watched A&M go from a lowly, always beaten, middle to low end of the Big 12 team to an SEC powerhouse. I'm still excited we're in the CUSA. Maybe before you know it we'll just keep crawling up and up in competitiveness and talent. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

A$M an SEC powerhouse?  Have they every finished above 5th in the conference?  They are in the SEC, yes, but powerhouse?  They seem to be occupying the same middle of the pack position they almost always did in the SWC.

They had a year where I think they finished 3rd in 2012 or 13. Other than that they struggle to go 5-3 in conference play. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTXN said:

I'll say this: As a Houston Astros, Houston Texans and a Houston Oilers fan... I support my teams as best I can, win or lose. I'm not a fan because they win. I'm a fan and that's that. I associate those teams with all the things I love about the place they represent, some childhood nostalgia and other fond thoughts are associated. The same is true for me with North Texas. It hurts to watch us struggle so much with football but perhaps in time we'll get there.

I watched A&M go from a lowly, always beaten, middle to low end of the Big 12 team to an SEC powerhouse. I'm still excited we're in the CUSA. Maybe before you know it we'll just keep crawling up and up in competitiveness and talent. 

Competitive does not mean winning. It means near .500 or slightly under.   Look everyone we play is trying to win therefore you should expect to go home unhappy with the result about 50% of the time.  However when you are unhappy competition throughout the game to arrive at the L you don't want that is UNACCEPTABLE.  This isn't an expansion franchise in the NFL, a FBS program in the middle of major NCAA sanctions or just coming off of them, a small private college in the middle of no where, or a  program brand new to the FBS level (within 5-10 years).  I am a fan and will always be a fan/alumni.  However if you want me to anything beyond just buying/wearing the gear, donating to the alumni association,  make a minimum donation to the Mean Green, and attend 3-4 games a year you have to be COMPETITIVE.  There are too many other things in life and in NCAA sports for me to enjoy than to watch beatings of my Alma Mater on the field.   Any storied blue blood FBS program would have their attendance drop by 50% if they had 10 year run with 0.500 season or better season without NCAA sanctions causing it.  Don't embarrass me in front of my guest to the game that I am paying for, that is all I ask.

• Downvote 3