Lack of explosiveness will make for a long year for UNT

UNT90

6 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I had predicted SMU would have 15 explosive plays they had 19

I predicted we'd have 17  we had 10.

Re-watched the game this morning. The explosive plays are there, we just need execution. 

Wilson had 6 explosive plays.

I view explosive as pass over 15 and run over 10

Agree with explosive plays being there.  Lack of execution prevented us taking advantage of opportunities.  

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

The big plays were there to be made.  We had WRs open most of the game.  I guess that's a plus from previous years. We could not hit them.  Especially the paterns where we could hit them in stride.

I wish I could chalk this up to morris just being off and his first game, but I have doubts.  This type of offense is designed to know where you are going before the ball is even snapped.  You have about 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.  Morris needs lots of work.

At least fine showed he knew how to run the offense.  It's about getting rid of the ball quickly.  I think we could have possibly put up 28 had fine worked with the ones most of the offseason.  And we are going to need a mobile QB.  We would be a better running team with Fine too.

Agreed. Morris has to get better for this team to win. Holding the ball too long and overthrowing receivers countless times won't cut it. Yes, I know he's getting blitzed but he's got to make those plays. When you're running 4 & 5 WR sets and the defense blitz, someone is getting back there. Now, I did see him make some great throws while getting hit, so he's proven he can do it. Let's chalk up it up to rust and a new system for week 1. If we continue to see this going into week 3, I say you throw Fine in there and never look back.....

I think the high number of turnovers also shot ourselves in the foot. Yes we all have some disappointment in what we saw. But we only lost by 13 points. Morris had 3 interceptions and that ridiculous 3rd and 45 hail mary play seriously needs to be addressed to the defense. If things like that are further corrected. We could have saved ourselves from a 10-13 point trail the whole game. I think it could be something that might fizzle out as the team gets used to playing with each other this season. 

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

He doesn't need 40 yd bombs to be pinpoint, he needs more accuracy on the 15-20 yard patterns.  That might be rust.  

How many reps does a player need to "knock" off the rust? Morris has been here here all spring, summer, and fall repping in this system with these receivers. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

How many reps does a player need to "knock" off the rust? Morris has been here here all spring, summer, and fall repping in this system with these receivers. 

Real game is different than practice and scrimmages. I suspect he was forcing a lot due to first game jitters and expectations for him to be the guy. If he isn't in complete control of the offense by the third or fourth game then I would start to get worried

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell talked about explosive plays in his post game interview and how SMU had a bunch and UNT didn't have any (he was speaking of offense). 

The problem is SMU has explosive playmakers in Davis, their RB, and their WR.

UNT doesn't have one single explosive playmaker on offense. Not one. UNT is going to struggle to score points this year because of that fact. 

Having seen Morris for over 3 quarters, it is apparent why he sat on the bench at 'Bama. He holds the ball far too long and his arm strength, especially on deep balls, is McNulty-esqe. I'd prefer to roll with Fine the rest of the year to see if he improves and is a possible answer. And if not, this staff better sign 3 or 4 QBs in February and hope like hell one of them can play.  

Lots of work to be done on the recruiting front. It'll be interesting to see if this staff can do better than the last in that area. Funny that the best recruiter UNT has seen as a head coach is Todd Dodge, isn't it? 

Wilson, Goree, and Nic Smith (Martin product whenever they burn his Redshirt) all very capable explosive playmakers.  Rutherford will get there as the year progresses.  He's a RS freshman. 

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

He doesn't need 40 yd bombs to be pinpoint, he needs more accuracy on the 15-20 yard patterns.  That might be rust.  

If you can't throw deep, get ready for the safeties to be within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage every play. 

Ine affects the ability to do the other, as we have seen the last 2 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think the high number of turnovers also shot ourselves in the foot. Yes we all have some disappointment in what we saw. But we only lost by 13 points. Morris had 3 interceptions and that ridiculous 3rd and 45 hail mary play seriously needs to be addressed to the defense. If things like that are further corrected. We could have saved ourselves from a 10-13 point trail the whole game. I think it could be something that might fizzle out as the team gets used to playing with each other this season. 

Turnovers and giving up explosive plays will get you beat. We were quite guilty of both yesterday. It goes to show you, if Morris executes, and we don't give up the Hail Mary, it's a totally different outcome.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Turnovers and giving up explosive plays will get you beat. We were quite guilty of both yesterday. It goes to show you, if Morris executes, and we don't give up the Hail Mary, it's a totally different outcome.

You can't play the "if this play and that play had been different" game for only one team.  If you do the same for SMU they win by 30 instead of 17.  

It was 17-0, 24-7, and 34-14.   That means at some point the SMU coaching staff starts playing conservative on offense and especially defense.  We have no idea how the game would have turned out if it was competitive the entire time because for the most part SMU was three scores ahead of us.  

I keep hearing there is an issue with the quarterback, and that the receivers were open. The receivers were open, but the offense struggled in the o-line play.

The quarterback didn't have the time he needed to get the ball to the open receivers. He was hit a number of times just as he was delivering the ball to the open receivers. Offense play needs to improve vastly going forward or success for Morris will be difficult to come by. I would like to see Fine as much as anybody, but Morris should be given a chance to right the ship. Given a bit more time,  he could be successful. Maybe they can roll him out a bit like the pass to the wide out for the TD? I do think if o line play like this continues, Fine is the better option now and for the future. He has the athletic ability to escape a mistake and avoid pressure. He also has the arm strength to make the defense pay on the deep balls. We shall see. It will be interesting to see it unfold. Certainly need to address oline heavily in the off season, though.

GMG

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell talked about explosive plays in his post game interview and how SMU had a bunch and UNT didn't have any (he was speaking of offense). 

The problem is SMU has explosive playmakers in Davis, their RB, and their WR.

UNT doesn't have one single explosive playmaker on offense. Not one. UNT is going to struggle to score points this year because of that fact. 

Having seen Morris for over 3 quarters, it is apparent why he sat on the bench at 'Bama. He holds the ball far too long and his arm strength, especially on deep balls, is McNulty-esqe. I'd prefer to roll with Fine the rest of the year to see if he improves and is a possible answer. And if not, this staff better sign 3 or 4 QBs in February and hope like hell one of them can play.  

Lots of work to be done on the recruiting front. It'll be interesting to see if this staff can do better than the last in that area. Funny that the best recruiter UNT has seen as a head coach is Todd Dodge, isn't it? 

I think you're confusing poor arm strength with plain bad throws. Morris made passes last night, especially on out routes, that no UNT QB in recent memory could have made. 

• Upvote 1