Lack of explosiveness will make for a long year for UNT

UNT90

Littrell talked about explosive plays in his post game interview and how SMU had a bunch and UNT didn't have any (he was speaking of offense). 

The problem is SMU has explosive playmakers in Davis, their RB, and their WR.

UNT doesn't have one single explosive playmaker on offense. Not one. UNT is going to struggle to score points this year because of that fact. 

Having seen Morris for over 3 quarters, it is apparent why he sat on the bench at 'Bama. He holds the ball far too long and his arm strength, especially on deep balls, is McNulty-esqe. I'd prefer to roll with Fine the rest of the year to see if he improves and is a possible answer. And if not, this staff better sign 3 or 4 QBs in February and hope like hell one of them can play.  

Lots of work to be done on the recruiting front. It'll be interesting to see if this staff can do better than the last in that area. Funny that the best recruiter UNT has seen as a head coach is Todd Dodge, isn't it? 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 11

Smoooo blitz packages really caused trouble all night. The disappointing aspect is that they didn't really disguise them at all. If they showed blitz they came with the house. They knew they could rattle a new offense and QB and it worked. We never made them pay for blitzing. That is where we need to work is the blitz pickups by backs and Olineman. Receivers need to have better hot route recognition. It will get better and so will the offense because of it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Smoooo blitz packages really caused trouble all night. The disappointing aspect is that they didn't really disguise them at all. If they showed blitz they came with the house. They knew they could rattle a new offense and QB and it worked. We never made them pay for blitzing. That is where we need to work is the blitz pickups by backs and Olineman. Receivers need to have better hot route recognition. It will get better and so will the offense because of it.

We never made them pay because they could leave their CBs on an island against our WRs and not worry about getting beat deep because of a lack of playmaking abilities by our WRs. Even if one did break free, they knew the chances were less than 50% that the QB could get them the ball.

I think you will see this continue next week and beyond. Film is out there now, and this is the way to beat UNT.

Just like last year.

Funny how changing systems doesn't matter without a talent upgrade, isn't it?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell talked about explosive plays in his post game interview and how SMU had a bunch and UNT didn't have any (he was speaking of offense). 

UNT doesn't have one single explosive playmaker on offense. Not one. UNT is going to struggle to score points this year because of that fact. 

Having seen Morris for over 3 quarters, it is apparent why he sat on the bench at 'Bama. He holds the ball far too long and his arm strength, especially on deep balls, is McNulty-esqe. I'd prefer to roll with Fine the rest of the year to see if he improves and is a possible answer. And if not, this staff better sign 3 or 4 QBs in February and hope like hell one of them can play.  

Lots of work to be done on the recruiting front. It'll be interesting to see if this staff can do better than the last in that area. Funny that the best recruiter UNT has seen as a head coach is Todd Dodge, isn't it? 

Well, I saw a couple of explosive plays last night where either Robinson (89) or #11 was running wide open over the middle and Morris just didn't light the fuse. He overthrew them on both occasions. 

It looked like the defense was totally surprised at how difficult it would be to bring Davis down. I don't mean chasing him down, I mean surrounding him and then putting your hands on him and bringing him down. I couldn't count the number of tackles he broke last night. If I had been preparing the defense, I would have said "it's like trying to bring Wilson down after you've make first contact". 

IMHO, that game was winnable last night.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, I saw a couple of explosive plays last night where either Robinson (89) or #11 was running wide open over the middle and Morris just didn't light the fuse. He overthrew them on both occasions. 

It looked like the defense was totally surprised at how difficult it would be to bring Davis down. I don't mean chasing him down, I mean surrounding him and then putting your hands on him and bringing him down. I couldn't count the number of tackles he broke last night. If I had been preparing the defense, I would have said "it's like trying to bring Wilson down after you've make first contact". 

IMHO, that game was winnable last night.

Disagree about it being winnable. It wasn't in doubt from the first drive of the game. SMU CLEARLY had much more talent on the field. At just about every position. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The big plays were there to be made.  We had WRs open most of the game.  I guess that's a plus from previous years. We could not hit them.  Especially the paterns where we could hit them in stride.

I wish I could chalk this up to morris just being off and his first game, but I have doubts.  This type of offense is designed to know where you are going before the ball is even snapped.  You have about 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.  Morris needs lots of work.

At least fine showed he knew how to run the offense.  It's about getting rid of the ball quickly.  I think we could have possibly put up 28 had fine worked with the ones most of the offseason.  And we are going to need a mobile QB.  We would be a better running team with Fine too.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Wrong. As a senior, he is LISTED as 6'1" and 196 lbs. 

http://m.southernmiss.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nick_mullens_838046.html

Again, probably why he isn't at a P5, just like Fine. 

Put the kid in and let him learn. This team is going nowhere this season. 

Lol I thought you had dyslexia and meant the Lawler kid at SMU. 

We already burned his redshirt so we damn well better use him throughout the year. 

6 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

The big plays were there to be made.  We had WRs open most of the game.  I guess that's a plus from previous years. We could not hit them.  Especially the paterns where we could hit them in stride.

I wish I could chalk this up to morris just being off and his first game, but I have doubts.  This type of offense is designed to know where you are going before the ball is even snapped.  You have about 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.  Morris needs lots of work.

At least fine showed he knew how to run the offense.  It's about getting rid of the ball quickly.  I think we could have possibly put up 28 had fine worked with the ones most of the offseason.  And we are going to need a mobile QB.  We would be a better running team with Fine too.

Absolutely. There were plenty of guys open. The QB just has to execute and the receiver catch it.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

#11 Thaddeous Thompson.  

We did have receivers beat their coverage many times.  The ball didn't get where it needed to be.  If that is just rust and AM can shake it off, then we will be in every CUSA game this year.  If it's just inaccuracy we are going to struggle mightily.    The oline needs to be more consistent.   Sometimes the QB had all day, sometimes it the QB needed a bullfighting cape.  

9 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Seems to be a lot of knee jerk reactions. Fine has ONE good series on garbage time. In his second series, not so much. Let's give morris a chance. 

I agree AM needs more time.  If nothing else to give MF a little more time to acclimate.  Both should play vs BC.  I don't want MF to have to start at UF, AM will be a lot more at ease in that environment.  

I don't think we have enough to get to a bowl year either way.  As long as Fine is developing with the coaches and getting some playing time he doesn't need all the pressure on him.  

If however, we enter the break weekend at 1-5 or worse, that would be a perfect time to give him a week to learn and then roll him out against Army.

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

#11 Thaddeous Thompson.  

We did have receivers beat their coverage many times.  The ball didn't get where it needed to be.  If that is just rust and AM can shake it off, then we will be in every CUSA game this year.  If it's just inaccuracy we are going to struggle mightily.    The oline needs to be more consistent.   Sometimes the QB had all day, sometimes it the QB needed a bullfighting cape.  

It's not rust, it's who Morris is as a QB. Failure in accuracy on deep balls is what kept him at the end of the bench at Bama. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

A lack of talent and experience with this offensive system are the things that killed any chance of being more than a 1-2 win team this season.

Next week's game is the only one we will be expected to win. Even if we don't, and that would be very disappointing, and we go 0-12, anyone labeling Littrell as a bad hire will be an idiot.

Right now, if we played in the Southland, we would be competitive. But today, we are basically the new high school that is just starting a team that is now playing other high schools with developed talent ad upperclassmen. It's really that simple. Ironically, RV deserved to get lots of criticism for the FCS games, but it's only because of this that we even have a chance at a home win this year. That's the sad reality we have going on now.

• Downvote 1

Morris was so disappointing. I really thought he had all the tools. It's game 1 and I think he will be pretty decent when all is said and done this year, but he really, really needs to stop staring down receivers. My friend and I were predicting where the ball was going after the snap all game long, to mostly correct results. Combine that with some really ugly mid-range passes, you have...last night.

Losing to SMU by two possessions is just not acceptable, I'm sorry, they're just not a good team and is losing to them in that fashion doesn't bode well. Only thing giving me hope is that the team will settle into the offense by the end of the season.

Defense was a surprise, sans that horrific and embarrassing 3rd and 40.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He doesn't need 40 yd bombs to be pinpoint, he needs more accuracy on the 15-20 yard patterns.  That might be rust.  

Exactly.  In a pro style, play action pass offense where you need to hit the receiver 30/40+ yards down the field is a lot different than what we are running.  You need to have a strong arm to throw the out routes and be able to zip the ball around the middle of the field a lot more often than having to throw bombs.  Morris missed badly on several mid range throws.  That seems correctable with game action, but the coaches have been throwing out some hints over the course of Spring and Fall practice where they have been clearly uncomfortable with his progress in this area.

We will soon see if it is a matter of rust or ability.  He had some very nice moments last night, but some pretty bad ones as well.  With the redshirt already off of Fine, it will make it much easier to switch it up during a game if one of the QBs is struggling.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Big plays were there to be had. They just didn't execute to no admiration of SMU's defense. Morris best improve and do it quickly or he will be replaced by a true freshman while solidifying himself as a career backup. With that said....Morris is better than every QB on our roster last year...as is Fine. The desperation heaves by SMU's QB's paired with Morris' pretty bad first half play won this game. It is what it is. Move on and win the next one.