A very Dodge-esqe 1st quarter

UNT90

1 hour ago, Silent Eagle said:

Well, if it's off, get him ready for the future.  

My thoughts. We are going to be bad. Might as well take the USM route and play him. This isn't s bowl team, and if Littrrell believes he is the future, might as well get him as much time as possible.

Judging by Littrell's post game comments, I think that happens by Rice at the latest and quite possibly could happen a week from now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

My thoughts. We are going to be bad. Might as well take the USM route and play him. This isn't s bowl team, and if Littrrell believes he is the future, might as well get him as much time as possible.

Judging by Littrell's post game comments, I think that happens by Rice at the latest and quite possibly could happen a week from now.

Any links to that conference I didn't listen. Was too disappointed. 

Just now, GMG24 said:

Any links to that conference I didn't listen. Was too disappointed. 

It was on KNTU. Doubt they have a link up. It was the post game radio show.

He said he was disappointed in the offense and there was hesitation. He said they will review the tape and the best QB will play. And he said it in response to "are you going to get Fine more playing time next week." He coulda answered that question with very generic coach talk. He didn't. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

This. You only play a 5th year senior transfer QB if A) he is good and B) there's a shot at a winning season. Neither apply here. I'd rather see what Fine has going for him and at least get him experience. He's the guy going forward unless he isn't what I saw the end of the game. I chastise people for getting too excited about backup QBs on here, but caught myself doing it with Fine.

Disappointing in that I thought NT would have an emotional edge and a significantly better defense.   Neither was apparent in the game.  

Very predictable that some would express displeasure at the starting QB play and the call for the second teamer would be begin.   

SMU is a much better team at this point and NT has a lot of work to do.  QB play is much improved, but as expected Morris has a lot of rust and is working with a very inexperienced and porous offensive line.   Fine is for real, adds a big weapon with his running.   Wilson looked good despite a lack of big holes.

Receivers were about as expected, no stars and a lack of speed.   Overall, I think they had a good first game based on their experience level.  

This defense was lauded as being a lot more aggressive.  Didn't see that: corners still played off the line of scrimmage and didn't see a lot of blitzes.   SMU's defense was much more aggressive.   NT was out of position a lot and obviously was horrible giving up big plays.   Overall, the defensive line play was good; but linebackers still are out of position too often.  The perceived strength of the team, the defensive backfield, putting it mildly, was very disappointing.   

I expected and predicted a much better game, but based on the factors involved; logically shouldn't have.    The new coaching staff was out coached and the talent level is such that there are no room for errors.  I think many are underrating SMU, they are not a good team; but have an offense that only a few teams on the schedule can match.  This team will get a lot better this year and I still expect a very competitive team by yearend.  

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It was on KNTU. Doubt they have a link up. It was the post game radio show.

He said he was disappointed in the offense and there was hesitation. He said they will review the tape and the best QB will play. And he said it in response to "are you going to get Fine more playing time next week." He coulda answered that question with very generic coach talk. He didn't. 

^^^^

unlike in our recent history , wanting to play the backup has nothing to do with who has the more talent .. We could insert Tom Brady & I would still have hard time picking us to win 6 games

Nick Mullens is a perfect example and USM is reaping the benefits of that move 

3 hours ago, Green Mean said:

Wrong interview, like 90 grad said, but there are a lot of things in this interview that make me think Fine is starting sooner than later.

For instance he says Fine will "continue to compete" for the starting job. That isn't putting to rest who will continue to be the starter. At all. 

He also refers to Fine "having a chance to be special." It's hard for a coach to resist playing these types of players. 

And lastly, when ask if Fine will continue to get playing opportunities, he basically lays down an emphatic yes. 

He coulda rolled back the  comments he made to Barnett, but he didn't. I like that. 

I also like a member of this athletic program sitting in a press conference, making no excuses, and saying plainly "this isn't acceptable, we need to do better." 

THAT is very refreshing. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Wrong interview, like 90 grad said, but there are a lot of things in this interview that make me think Fine is starting sooner than later.

For instance he says Fine will "continue to compete" for the starting job. That isn't putting to rest who will continue to be the starter. At all. 

He also refers to Fine "having a chance to be special." It's hard for a coach to resist playing these types of players. 

And lastly, when ask if Fine will continue to get playing opportunities, he basically lays down an emphatic yes. 

He coulda rolled back to comments he made to Barnett, but he didn't. I like that. 

I also like a member of this athletic program sitting in a press conference, making no excuses, and saying plainly "this isn't acceptable, we need to do better." 

THAT is very refreshing. 

Told you you'd like him.  Grump ;) 

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Still don't know if he can recruit here. 

He can.  Did you notice the gameday for Recruits visiting?  They were actually on the field, taking pictures with position coaches with actual passes not typed up on card stock and slide into clear plastic re-usable cases.  It is a start anyway.