Jared Mosley - New COO Hire

jtm0097

For Immediate Release: Sept. 1, 2016

Mosley Named Associate Vice President and COO for Mean Green Athletics

Denton -- The University of North Texas Department of Athletics announced today the hiring of Jared Mosley as Associate Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. Mosley will serve on the leadership team for newly-appointed Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker.  

"Jared Mosley is recognized as a tremendous leader in intercollegiate athletics," said Baker. "I've admired Jared’s leadership and have followed his career path for a long time. He is a strategic thinker and has demonstrated an ability to build championship athletic programs. Jared will be a tremendous asset for us. He is hard-working, analytical and innovative.”

Mosley, 39, comes to North Texas from the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, where he served as the CEO and President. Previous to his time at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, Mosley served Abilene Christian University as Director of Athletics for 10 years. While at ACU, Mosley increased the athletics fundraising over 650 percent, from $228,000 in 2003 to over $1.7 million in 2013. He increased the lettermen’s association participation over 200 percent and oversaw more than $30 million in facilities construction and renovations during his time.    

At North Texas, Mosley will assist Baker with financial, operational and administrative issues. He will help develop strategic initiatives and provide oversight for human resources issues as well as facilities and event management, student services, marketing, promotions and communications.      

“I am truly honored and grateful to Wren for the opportunity to join the Mean Green family,” said Mosley.  “North Texas is truly an institution that is on the rise and I look forward to working with Wren and the team in place as we pursue a championship caliber experience throughout all facets of our athletic department.  Wren has been a long-time friend and colleague in the business whose leadership has been transformational everywhere he has been.  Our family looks forward to transitioning to Denton soon and joining the exciting work already underway!  Go Mean Green!”

Mosley has two degrees from Abilene Christian, earning his Bachelor of Science degree in 2000 and his Master’s in Education Administration in 2003. He was inducted into the ACU Sports Hall of Fame in 2015 after a successful basketball career, where he finished as the 11th-leading scorer and the eighth-leading rebounder in school history.   

Mosley and his wife Trish have three children, Jaden, Jaxon and Blair. 

Eric Capper

Sr. Associate Director of Athletics

University of North Texas

MeanGreenSports.com

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wasn't this guy's name thrown around on here as a possible AD?    @MeanGreenMailbox, with your affinity for ACU... I'm thinking it may have been you?

Looks to be a great hire as an Asst AD!

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/090116aab.html

Nope, I believe this was a @TheTastyGreek suggestion.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Wow... We did a thing! We have now done three things in a row. Looks like that Smatresk hire was a major move as we can see the cascading effects. I honestly never thought this guy would consider our AD opening let alone associate AD. Good job Wren Baker!

• Upvote 7

Maybe Mosley will bring some ideas on ways to pay tribute and help expand the image of UNT Sports from his time down at the Texas Hall of Fame... 

Also, maybe a great time to talk to Wren and Jared about that statue of Mean Joe. But I do think this a great hire, adding more people around Wren that have been in control of Athletic Departments and other Athletic Businesses are only going to help Wren and this staff. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Maybe Mosley will bring some ideas on ways to pay tribute and help expand the image of UNT Sports from his time down at the Texas Hall of Fame... 

Also, maybe a great time to talk to Wren and Jared about that statue of Mean Joe. But I do think this a great hire, adding more people around Wren that have been in control of Athletic Departments and other Athletic Businesses are only going to help Wren and this staff. 

Gotta think a guy who was President of the TX Sports HOF would be on board with a statue of both Joe Greene AND Abner Haynes.

Make it happen Mr. Baker & Mr. Mosley!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Nope, I believe this was a @TheTastyGreek suggestion.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

izzat right?   If so, @TheTastyGreek remains a genius.

Searched and found.  Honestly, this was cool re-reading now that we are here with Baker and Co.

On 10/13/2015 at 4:53 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

If we could get him as a package deal with his old AD at ACU (Jared Mosley), I'd take that deal. 

On 10/1/2015 at 8:17 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

Jared Mosley, current Executive Director at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco. 

Former AD at Abilene Christian, spent 10 years there before resigning to take the HOF job in 2014. He's somewhere near 40 years old, so he has a lot of good years left in front of him. 

Here's the article announcing his hire in Waco. Highlights relevant to why he might be a good AD option for us include:

Mosley, just the seventh Athletic Director in ACU history, successfully guided his alma mater’s transition from NCAA Division II status to Division I and into the Southland Conference. During his tenure, the Wildcats won 10 NCAA Division II national championships, 20 NCAA Division II regional titles and 46 Lone Star Conference crowns. The program finished among the top 10 of the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup standings seven times in his 11-year tenure with five top four finishes.

As part of the move to Division I, Mosley negotiated a three-year deal with Adidas for the sports apparel company to be the official outfitter of ACU athletics. He was also the athletics department’s lead fund-raiser for the Vision in Action campaign, a $75 million initiative to build two new on-campus stadiums at ACU and three new science facilities.

He's a 6'8" former ACU basketball player, so he wouldn't let nonsense like Benford happen here. 

He has 10 years of success in hiring winning coaches, building facilities, and navigating conference improvement. He's raised money. He's worked in Texas in the shadow of bigger programs and succeeded anyway. 

Anything you could want from an AD, he's already done successfully at a non-prestige Texas school. And he's young, and he's charismatic. 

If he had any interest in leaving his new job, I'd dance with joy to see him at North Texas.

On 10/1/2015 at 8:25 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

More specific fundraising and AD success details on Mosley from his LinkedIn page:

Revenue Generation and Development
o Active lettermen’s association participation increase of 200% since 2006 from 125 members in 2002 to 375 active members currently.

o Helped increase annual athletic fundraising in the last 10 years: from $228,671 in 2002-03 to $1.72 million in 2012-13 fiscal year (does not include revenue from ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, endowment gifts, or capital gifts.)

o $2,900,000 in new athletic endowments established in last 10 years for a total of $10.1 million in total athletic endowments .

Facility Renovations/Construction - $33,399,000 in new facility construction/renovation
o $160,000 Football Locker Room Renovation (Summer 2005)
o $97,000 Moody coliseum Floor Replacement (Summer 2006)
o $235,000 Bonneau Family Indoor Hitting Facility (Fall 2006)
o $424,000 Scoreboard Installation for baseball, softball, track and field and women’s soccer (Spring 2007)
o $400,000 Powell Fitness Center Expansion (Spring 2007)
o $323,000 Football Practice Facility Turf Installation (Summer 2007)
o $1.4 million Softball/Soccer locker room facility (Spring 2009)
o $105,000 Teague Special Events Center Lobby Renovation (Spring 2011)
o $255,00 Wells Field Bleacher Installation/Press Box Construction (Fall 2012)
o $30,000,000 Wildcat Stadium construction & Elmer Gray Stadium relocation project

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Wow... We did a thing! We have now done three things in a row. Looks like that Smatresk hire was a major move as we can see the cascading effects. I honestly never thought this guy would consider our AD opening let alone associate AD. Good job Wren Baker!

Bingo.. Look who he hired and look who he fired! Perfect

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wasn't this guy's name thrown around on here as a possible AD?    @MeanGreenMailbox, with your affinity for ACU... I'm thinking it may have been you?

Looks to be a great hire as an Asst AD!

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/090116aab.html

This was the guy that @TheTastyGreek suggested as a good candidate for AD.  This seems like a steal to get both.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Now our AD and our Associate AD have basketball backgrounds.  Maybe Bedford should pack his bags now to save some time.  I'll feel good about whoever we would hire to replace Benford.

Whoever it is won't be held in place by players threatening to walk if he gets shitcanned for being mediocre 

dLUEc2d.gif