'17 ATH Tre'von Bradley (Cleburne) [LOI: UH]

UNT90

For the parents out there: can you explain the dynamics involved in situations like this? It's easy to say, 'you teach a man to honor his word.'  How can this play out so that you would be okay if your kid backed out of this kind of commitment? Do you think coaches should be banned from entertaining kids that have already verbal-ed to another school?

I know that our coaches probably do the same thing, but part of this will always rub me the wrong way...at least a tiny bit.  Just trying to understand what might be happening from the family's perspective.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

For the parents out there: can you explain the dynamics involved in situations like this? It's easy to say, 'you teach a man to honor his word.'  How can this play out so that you would be okay if your kid backed out of this kind of commitment? Do you think coaches should be banned from entertaining kids that have already verbal-ed to another school?

I know that our coaches probably do the same thing, but part of this will always rub me the wrong way...at least a tiny bit.  Just trying to understand what might be happening from the family's perspective.

You also need to remember coaches pull offers. It's a 2 way street. Just need to hope he has a great relationship with UNT's staff and this is nothing more than a blip on his radar.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Pretty simple, kid is going to pick the spot that is the best situation for them most of the time. We can't get up in arms when a better program offers a kid and he flips when we cheer for a kid that flips for us. Bradley would be a huge loss to this class, he is as close to a must have/must keep as it gets. We better have SL and co coming to visit him asap to make sure he sticks. I'll never blame an 18 year old kid that changes his mind on where he wants to set up his future career and play a little football. 

• Upvote 7

33 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Pretty simple, kid is going to pick the spot that is the best situation for them most of the time. We can't get up in arms when a better program offers a kid and he flips when we cheer for a kid that flips for us. Bradley would be a huge loss to this class, he is as close to a must have/must keep as it gets. We better have SL and co coming to visit him asap to make sure he sticks. I'll never blame an 18 year old kid that changes his mind on where he wants to set up his future career and play a little football. 

This.  No reason to sound like the fat chick sitting in the bleachers at the homecoming dance. 

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Yes we can.  We're fans and we root, root, root for the home team.  :)

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Here's the deal: coaches are recruiting kids at younger ages than they ever have. Coaches are pressuring commitments to athletes at younger ages than ever before. Spots and positions in a class are filling up earlier than ever before.

I've seen people say things long the lines of "this is the era of the decommitment," or "kids these days don't know what it means to keep their word," etc.

These kids are forced to make by far the most important decision of their young lives before most high school students and under much more pressure. It's up to them to find out what the best choice is for them, and it's up to them to not fall victim to the downfalls of modern-day recruiting (i.e. waiting too long and losing your spot in a class). It's not 1980 anymore where the recruiting process exclusively occurs in the 2 month span between a recruit's senior season ending and NSD.

I think the best decision for a high school kid given the current state of recruiting is to commit to their best option before their senior year starts. Then if they get a better academic and athletic opportunity presented to them, they would be doing a disservice to them and their families if they didn't look into it. Be upfront with the coaches you originally committed to so you don't screw them over, but you have to make the right choice and not let the circumstances of modern-day recruiting prevent you from choosing the best college for you to attend.

And it's tough on coaches too. Win or you lose your job. You have to start recruiting these kids early, but the earlier you recruit those kids, the more time there is for things to change on their end or yours.

It has become a vicious cycle and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's up to the coaches that if they pull offers, to be upfront and give the kid time to find a new place, and it's up to the recruits to be upfront about looking elsewhere and letting their coaches make contingency plans.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

BillySee, this would be great advice for recruits and their parents, and I hope their high school coaches provide it. Probably a good proactive discussion for recruiting coaches to have with that family as well, when they make that first commitment. As much time as  the recruit has to get other offers, it is on the coaching staff and school to solidify a relationship with the student and family that validates the first decision. Makes any decision to de-commit for another offer a little more difficult.

GMG

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

There would be a lot of talk about Houston being 'late to the table', but there would also be a lot of talk about scheme, coaches, and most-importantly, EDUCATION.  In the end though: "Gotta do what's best for you, junior."

12 hours ago, p_phelps said:

There's tons of hogs there lol. 

I grew up and lived the majority of my life in the Denton area and have also lived in Houston.  Way more hogs in Houston, plus they are sweaty, than in Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1