SMU HC Chad Morris on UNT: "Big Rivalry"

Harry

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

@MJavierSMU also says no rivalry...I wonder if his opinion will change after seeing his coach's comments.

If I had to name SMU's top 5 rivals they would be TCU, UH, Baylor, Rice and maybe Texas Tech since we have continued to play them post SWC.

Maybe someone forgot to tell him to ask what his coach thinks of SMU's top 5 rivals?

Edited by GreenTexan13

47 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Maybe someone forgot to tell him to ask what his coach thinks of SMU's top 5 rivals?

I copied and pasted from my other post......

What do you think Morris is gong to say when asked that by a reporter? No, I don't think of them as a rival. It's just another game. Or....no way, we are looking forward to next week against Baylor. Of course not. He would've had the same response if asked that about Texas St or UTEP. It's game week and he's got to get his team fired up. Hell, June Jones used to call everyone a rival.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

14 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

What do you think Morris is gong to say when asked that by a reporter? No, I don't think of them as a rival. It's just another game. Or....no way, we are looking forward to next week against Baylor. Of course not. He would've had the same response if asked that about Texas St or UTEP. It's game week and he's got to get his team fired up. Hell, June Jones used to call everyone a rival.

Uh huh. Oooook. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

So uh..... who should I make this out to?

BoC_RealityCheck_CopyrightIndustriousDes

39 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I mean, McCarney said it wasn't a rivalry last season. Morris can say whatever he wants. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

I think you're in denial at best, delusional at worst.  Look, this is not a personal attack against you, but it's going to describe your entire fan base (all 11 of them)...  Nobody cares about the "National Championship"- it's looked upon with the same level of legitimacy as TAMUs.  The only time since the 1940s that you had a respectable football team, it was because you had a payroll higher than the Miami Dolphins.  So, when I read on your posting board that you are curious as to why you're not ranked as high on the list of college football blue bloods, it leads to me spilling my coffee on my lap as I'm laughing so hard.  Secondly, you have the same garbage attendance woes that we experience.  You can't get people to go to the games that are not students.  And, your ticket counters become task force Enron and cook the numbers to try to keep up with TCU's attendance numbers.  Third, we both struggle to get talent to stay home, especially with the big red threat emerging down in Houston, on top of TCUs continued success.  You had a string of bowl appearances for four years (granted more recent than ours) and we had a string of bowl appearances.  The only difference between the two programs is yours has a story of success (which nobody but you remembers) and that manages to carry you to a better reputation than us.  You had the death penalty because you cheated your collective @$$e$ off and still didn't get a NC out of it (still laugh about the holiday bowl- who blows a lead that big).  Your program cratered, and still has not recovered.  We dropped to 1-aa and still haven't recovered.  We have a young, energetic staff that came from successful stints everywhere he went, you have the same.  

Face it- we are the SAME program.  WE are rivals.  You guys just don't want to admit it because if you do, it means you're no longer the pony express-which, come on guys, let it go.  It's no longer the late 70s, early 80s.  Get over yourselves.  Embrace it.  Your coach does.  

I never mentioned the national championship. You did. I never mentioned football blue bloods. You did. Our attendance in football is terrible unless we're playing a former SWC rival, there is no denying that. As for cooking up attendance numbers, it is the same practice at every school - UNT, TCU, Baylor, Texas St, Rice or name any other school. They count tickets sold. I went to a UNT basketball game last season and there might have been 500 people in the place but the announced attendance was around 3,000. Y'all act like SMU is the only one who does this. The cheating thing has been beat to death but again, everyone was doing it, SMU just got caught. We deserved what we got but so did UT, A&M, TCU.......

SMU and UNT are at the same level of success right now but we are not the same program. We are coming from vastly different places. History does count for something. The value or meaning of that history is debatable. SMU and Rice is a better comparison as being the SAME program. Based on the comments on this board most of the hate of SMU has nothing to do with athletic competition. It seems to have more to do with the broad brush you paint anyone associated with SMU. That alone doesn't make a rivalry. Has one of our games (football or basketball) ever sold out? Two schools located an hour apart and a game has never sold out? That's a rivalry? The TCU game in a few weeks will be sold out, and we are terrible. The TCU basketball game at Moody in November will be sold out, and they are terrible. That's a rivalry because of the history and similarity of the schools.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I never mentioned the national championship. You did. I never mentioned football blue bloods. You did. Our attendance in football is terrible unless we're playing a former SWC rival, there is no denying that. As for cooking up attendance numbers, it is the same practice at every school - UNT, TCU, Baylor, Texas St, Rice or name any other school. They count tickets sold. I went to a UNT basketball game last season and there might have been 500 people in the place but the announced attendance was around 3,000. Y'all act like SMU is the only one who does this. The cheating thing has been beat to death but again, everyone was doing it, SMU just got caught. We deserved what we got but so did UT, A&M, TCU.......

SMU and UNT are at the same level of success right now but we are not the same program. We are coming from vastly different places. History does count for something. The value or meaning of that history is debatable. SMU and Rice is a better comparison as being the SAME program. Based on the comments on this board most of the hate of SMU has nothing to do with athletic competition. It seems to have more to do with the broad brush you paint anyone associated with SMU. That alone doesn't make a rivalry. Has one of our games (football or basketball) ever sold out? Two schools located an hour apart and a game has never sold out? That's a rivalry? The TCU game in a few weeks will be sold out, and we are terrible. The TCU basketball game at Moody in November will be sold out, and they are terrible. That's a rivalry because of the history and similarity of the schools.

Which game? 

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Which game? 

Western Kentucky. That is why I came to this site to ask about the game. And I was not greeted kindly, which really surprised me. I found out that I'm a d-bag, I pop my collar and my rich dad got me into SMU. lol

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 3

We're not rivals in any sense except that we both have sucked for so long, we'll do anything for attention. SMU at least has some historic rivals with TCU, Baylor, Rice... they've just done such a bad job SINCE the death penalty that those have gone dormant.

This is purely coach speak.

There's no clearer proof that SMU isn't our rival than the fact that we have to debate it every year on this board, and this board only represents the handful of hardcore fans that still give a damn. If they were our rival, there'd be no debate.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

Coach speak. Maybe you have heard that of it. Coaches don't decide who is a rival.

He is a coaching trying to motivate his team for the first week of the season. 

But it's nice to know that you love SMU's coach so much. ?

No.   Coach speak would be something like, "They're a well coached team up there with some nice players.  They had a down year last year, but we won't be taking them lightly...  blah, blah, blah...", talking but not saying anything.   This is a pointed comment, either as a reply to a question, or made on his own.

Don't think UNT is your "rival"?   Don't volunteer that quote.   Or, if you were asked point-blank, you can say something like the above to go around it... like what McCarney did last year.

• Upvote 4