Who is UNT's football rival?

GM1998

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Yes, but I really don't care if they believe it.

North Texas is trying to better our program too. Mac was fired. RV is gone. SMU won 1 more game then North Texas last season. That is not light years in my book.

It won't be their focus after 2018. TCU hasn't signed on to extend the series. It's hard to have a rivalry with a team that won't schedule you.

In the past 2 years North Texas is 5-19 and SMU is 3-21. I'd say we are on the same level, and I don't care if SMU fans believe it. The biggest difference now is that SMU loses to former C-USA teams.

I really like the way Littrell is reshaping the offense and defense. He doesn't seem to be trying to jam square pegs into round holes. I think he is designing systems that will create mismatches most C-USA programs, and SMU, will have a hard time adjusting to. I think we will have a real chance to win many of our games once this thing gets going. You should at least go see the product on the field this Saturday before you jump to the worst possible conclusions.

And you know SMU can opt out of the UNT series after next year, right?

Which do you think is more likely?

SMU is in a better conference, has huge funding compared to UNT, and a much better football history. They applied for Big 12 membership. 

Like I said. Light years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Wow. Do you also hate children, puppies, and old people too? What the hell was so bad about that game other than we lost? Their fans were nice, there was a good turn out for both sides, President Bush tossed the coin, weather was great, football was back, and the beer flowed like wine. I had a great time with a bunch of my friends watching my team play. 

No, it was just an awful experience overall. Been to a lot of road games (losing road games) and SMU fans were the biggest assholes I've ever run across.

I literally hate that school more than George Dunham hates it. It represents everything wrong with the American business world and college system. It's a pseudo-religious school that uses its religious label to get exemptions and charge exorbitant tuition for a half-baked education. They have pitiful rankings from every academia source and are never represented in any major studies. They get bankrolled by their business school and their law school, the only two things at SMU worth a damn. Fortunately for them, it is good enough for them to throw their weight around and make people think it's a prestigious institution. To make things worse, their students pretend like it's some elite club when it's incredibly easy to get in if you have the financial background. Easiest private in Texas. Especially if you're white, considering an overwhelming majority of the demographics of SMU are white dudes.

Their stadium looks like Robertson Stadium, their campus is about as authentic Ivy League as Vineyard Vines, their basketball program is relevant because they hired the crypt keeping cheater. I have NO love for that school in any way. They deserved the death penalty, and the whole school deserves the death penalty.

If I was going to pay a ridiculous charge to go to a top tier private school in Texas I'd be at Rice. Better everything. 

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And you know SMU can opt out of the UNT series after next year, right?

Which do you think is more likely?

SMU is in a better conference, has huge funding compared to UNT, and a much better football history. They applied for Big 12 membership. 

Like I said. Light years. 

Half the equation. UNT can also opt out of the series if they see it to be in their best interest to do so. 

Recruiting rivals?  Sure.  Beyond that I don't think it's a true rival in the way and form we think of when we think of other sports/college rivalries.  At this point who really cares. What else is Chad Morris supposed to say?   Sounded like coach speak to me regardless of what he and other SMU people really think IMO.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

No, it was just an awful experience overall. Been to a lot of road games (losing road games) and SMU fans were the biggest assholes I've ever run across.

They were dick heads, seriously. I talk shit, it's bred in me growing up with 3 brothers. My wife had to do the angry whisper at me multiple times to keep the lid on the can. It was frustrating. 

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

They were dick heads, seriously. I talk shit, it's bred in me growing up with 3 brothers. My wife had to do the angry whisper at me multiple times to keep the lid on the can. It was frustrating. 

Walking through the boulevard was nothing but dickhead comments up and down. Insecure pricks. Probably concerned about the impending foreclosure on mommy and daddy's house followed by the divorce. Hey, maybe he'll get the Caddy!

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1

I hated SMU long before I went to UNT. When I was looking at schools as a high schooler, SMU was one I never even considered. Their recruiter came to my school and his literal pitch was "We're SMU. We're rich and you'll be rich if you come here.

C

E

O."

I have a level of respect for every single Texas school except SMU. Even A&M, Tech, and Baylor. 0 for SMOO. If you have a degree from Smoo, I'm assuming you're an awful person until you prove otherwise.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1

SMU is a destination school for people whose families have a lot of money. It is a lot harder to get into than NT regardless of money. Other than it is very nearby, there would be no interest in a game. The school is so small and different from NT, it would be fine with me not playing them. This is not a rivalry and it can't really be made into one. Unfortunately we are so far down in the pit we can't actually have a rivalry with really the one team we could ever conceivably have a rivalry with.

And I mean Houston, not SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

SMU is a destination school for people whose families have a lot of money. It is a lot harder to get into than NT regardless of money. Other than it is very nearby, there would be no interest in a game. The school is so small and different from NT, it would be fine with me not playing them. This is not a rivalry and it can't really be made into one. Unfortunately we are so far down in the pit we can't actually have a rivalry with really the one team we could ever conceivably have a rivalry with.

That's actually not true.  Majority of the people and friends I've known from SMU came from regular to do families and were there on a ton of scholarship money.  That's not to say people with money don't go to SMU but there's quite a bit of false assumptions between both schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

And I mean Houston, not SMU.

Are you sure about this?
When I was applying back in the day, there were kids going to SMU with lower GPAs than me... and I was only barely in the top 1/2 of my class.

I find it hard to believe they've increased their standards to "a lot harder to get into than NT" over a span of 15 years.

11 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I literally hate that school more than George Dunham hates it. It represents everything wrong with the American business world and college system. It's a pseudo-religious school that uses its religious label to get exemptions and charge exorbitant tuition for a half-baked education. They have pitiful rankings from every academia source and are never represented in any major studies. They get bankrolled by their business school and their law school, the only two things at SMU worth a damn. Fortunately for them, it is good enough for them to throw their weight around and make people think it's a prestigious institution. To make things worse, their students pretend like it's some elite club when it's incredibly easy to get in if you have the financial background. Easiest private in Texas. Especially if you're white, considering an overwhelming majority of the demographics of SMU are white dudes.

Their stadium looks like Robertson Stadium, their campus is about as authentic Ivy League as Vineyard Vines, their basketball program is relevant because they hired the crypt keeping cheater. I have NO love for that school in any way. They deserved the death penalty, and the whole school deserves the death penalty.

If I was going to pay a ridiculous charge to go to a top tier private school in Texas I'd be at Rice. Better everything. 

The force is strong in this one.  Keep posting stuff like this and I may run out of +1s.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Good post. I do think you guys are in the same boat with us these days as far as being ouutside the P5 world.  Both our programs aren't doing really well these days in football. Arguing who's more prominent is a bit much. Both programs have destroyed themselves from the inside out. UNT through straight up neglect by the university and SMU debacle back in the 80s that it has never recovered from. I think its a good thing that our schools our playing each other. I really enjoyed the game at SMU last year.

We definitely have been our own worst enemy. We were in great position in 2011 but June quit on us and that set us back at least five years.

Glad you had a good time last year. I met a lot of great people from UNT. I am hopeful to make it to the pre-game Saturday but I might have to work during the day. Either way I'll be at the game.

13 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Wow. You seem to bring race into a lot of your posts. In my short time on this board, I've read several threads when you bring the topic up out of nowhere. Strange. But since you brought it up, I'll address a few of the many inaccuracies you've posted in this thread. I apologize for using facts to get in the way of your message.

1. SMU is far from the easiest private school in Texas to get into. TCU and Baylor both are easier and have lower SAT/ACT scores and average HS GPAs.   

2. Being a 'white dude" as you put it does not make it easier to get into SMU. And SMU is actually less white than its peer privates except for Rice. Baylor and SMU have almost the same percentage of whites, but SMU is more international. Per Forbes demographics for the 2015-16 school year:

SMU: White - 65%, Hispanic -12%, Black - 5%, Asian 7%, International/foreign - 7%

TCU: White - 74%, Hispanic -11%, Black - 5%, Asian 3%, International/foreign - 5%

Baylor: White - 64%, Hispanic -14%, Black - 7%, Asian 6%, International/foreign - 3%

Tulane: White - 71%, Hispanic -6%, Black - 9%, Asian 4%, International/foreign - 3%

Rice: White - 38%, Hispanic -15%, Black - 7%, Asian 22%, International/foreign - 12%

Rice is easily the most diverse of the major privates because it is an incredibly great institution that gets many international students due to its reputation. SMU is second in international students and almost equal with Baylor in overall diversity. TCU and Tulane are the least diverse by quite a bit, but I guess for some reason it is a benefit to be a "white dude" at SMU over other schools.....

Lastly, you mentioned in another post in this thread that SMU has "dry businesses around campus." Can you please name one? I'll wait..........

It might take you a while because there aren't any. You're about a decade late with statement. I know haters are gonna hate, but at least know what you're talking about when you throw out supposed facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

SMU: White - 65%, Hispanic -12%, Black - 5%, Asian 7%, International/foreign - 7%

TCU: White - 74%, Hispanic -11%, Black - 5%, Asian 3%, International/foreign - 5%

Baylor: White - 64%, Hispanic -14%, Black - 7%, Asian 6%, International/foreign - 3%

Tulane: White - 71%, Hispanic -6%, Black - 9%, Asian 4%, International/foreign - 3%

Rice: White - 38%, Hispanic -15%, Black - 7%, Asian 22%, International/foreign - 12%

For comparison:

UNT:  White: 50%, Hispanic 23%, Black 14%, Asian 6%, International 3%

UNT named a Top 100 College for Hispanic students

Latina/o and Mexican-American Studies

With Hispanic Whites expected to be the majority by around 2040, it's a good idea to be welcoming to them. 

24 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

Wow. You seem to bring race into a lot of your posts. In my short time on this board, I've read several threads when you bring the topic up out of nowhere. Strange. But since you brought it up, I'll address a few of the many inaccuracies you've posted in this thread. I apologize for using facts to get in the way of your message.

1. SMU is far from the easiest private school in Texas to get into. TCU and Baylor both are easier and have lower SAT/ACT scores and average HS GPAs.   

2. Being a 'white dude" as you put it does not make it easier to get into SMU. And SMU is actually less white than its peer privates except for Rice. Baylor and SMU have almost the same percentage of whites, but SMU is more international. Per Forbes demographics for the 2015-16 school year:

Rice is easily the most diverse of the major privates because it is an incredibly great institution that gets many international students due to its reputation. SMU is second in international students and almost equal with Baylor in overall diversity. TCU and Tulane are the least diverse by quite a bit, but I guess for some reason it is a benefit to be a "white dude" at SMU over other schools.....

Lastly, you mentioned in another post in this thread that SMU has "dry businesses around campus." Can you please name one? I'll wait..........

It might take you a while because there aren't any. You're about a decade late with statement. I know haters are gonna hate, but at least know what you're talking about when you throw out supposed facts.

Other than Rice, what is the underlying theme here? I know you can figure it out, I mean you are smug. 

1 hour ago, MJavierSMU said:

-You can't prove that SMU is difficult to get into because SMU's admittance standards are completely arbitrary and not disclosed. TCU and Baylor are very similar to SMU's acceptance rates, scores and GPA though. So that's your competition, not Rice or Ivy League.

-Once again, you're proving my point, that SMU is not an elite Ivy League South school by comparing yourself to TCU and Baylor. 

-Try to buy beer at the CVS near campus and get back to me.

I would expect a high-falutin' $30,000/year 2007 BMW driving SMU Uptown millionaire to have better things to do that converse on here with us peasants.

Edited by Ryan Munthe

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

-You can't prove that SMU is difficult to get into because SMU's admittance standards are completely arbitrary and not disclosed. TCU and Baylor are very similar to SMU's acceptance rates, scores and GPA though. So that's your competition, not Rice or Ivy League.

-Once again, you're proving my point, that SMU is not an elite Ivy League South school by comparing yourself to TCU and Baylor. 

-Try to buy beer at the CVS near campus and get back to me.

I would expect a high-falutin' $30,000/year 2007 BMW driving SMU Uptown millionaire to have better things to do that converse on here with us peasants.

You're all over the place with what you're trying to say. First, you said SMU is the easiest private in Texas to get into especially if you're a white male. Both of which are wrong. And now out of the blue you're saying SMU's competition isn't Rice or the Ivy league, which I never claimed or insinuated. You even mentioned it twice that SMU is not an elite Ivy League South School, again which I never claimed. I agree that SMU is not at the level of Rice or the Ivy League schools.

Dallas and University park are both wet and all businesses restaurants are allowed to sell/serve alcohol. There are three CVS near campus. Which one are you talking about?

Funny, you bring up the $30,000 year Uptown crowd because it reminds me of one of the other threads I was referencing where you were going on and on about how much more cultured and diverse Houston was over Dallas. If I remember correctly you mentioned all the white SMU d-bag, $30,000 millionaires that represented racist Dallas. Yet, it seems like you're the one who is constantly stereotyping and judging people on this board.

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

You're all over the place with what you're trying to say. First, you said SMU is the easiest private in Texas to get into especially if you're a white male. Both of which are wrong. And now out of the blue you're saying SMU's competition isn't Rice or the Ivy league, which I never claimed or insinuated. You even mentioned it twice that SMU is not an elite Ivy League South School, again which I never claimed. I agree that SMU is not at the level of Rice or the Ivy League schools.

Dallas and University park are both wet and all businesses restaurants are allowed to sell/serve alcohol. There are three CVS near campus. Which one are you talking about?

Funny, you bring up the $30,000 year Uptown crowd because it reminds me of one of the other threads I was referencing where you were going on and on about how much more cultured and diverse Houston was over Dallas. If I remember correctly you mentioned all the white SMU d-bag, $30,000 millionaires that represented racist Dallas. Yet, it seems like you're the one who is constantly stereotyping and judging people on this board.

1.) It is the easiest, if you're a white dude, judging by the acceptance rate, stats, and demographics. Also, it isn't out of the blue, my argument from the get-go was that the school is overrated. See in my first post. My criticism stems from the fact that overwhelmingly people from SMU view it at that.

2.) Well, I went to two, and neither of them sold alcohol. Was told it was "because of the proximity to campus."

3.) Well, yes, because overwhelmingly the demographics favor this stereotype. And just judging SMU. Because they judge back.