Who is UNT's football rival?

GM1998

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

They had more fans than UNT last year at their stadium. And UNT had about 7k there. 

Please deal in facts, Ben.

They don't care about this game and will have anything better to do on Labor Day weekend. 

We're talking about UNT fans outnumbering SMU's, not how much RV still owes you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I put him on ignore, but then I see quotes in other people's post where he is in attack mode.  Back to ignore. 

Right, because refusing to listen to any opinion but your own is intellectually honest. Lol. 

I have no one on ignore, not even that troll Cougar Queen, because, who knows, maybe someday he will say something worthwhile. 

22 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I don't think you can tell someone you're their rival and suddenly it is true. I'm not sure if you are joking about UNT being SMU's biggest rival, or not? But what do you base that on, seriously? If you asked any SMU fan (current student, young alum, old alum) who are SMU's rivals, I don't think anyone would say UNT. And that is nothing against UNT. It's just that we have never been in the same conference and we've rarely played each other. If I had to name SMU's top 5 rivals they would be TCU, UH, Baylor, Rice and maybe Texas Tech since we have continued to play them post SWC.

TCU has moved on and they are doing well but we continue to play them every year in most sports and just as important is the schools are very similar - private, compete for the same students, similar student bodies, 40 miles apart and we were in a conference together for over 80 years. Also, despite the recent success of TCU football the all-time records in football and basketball are still close. Football - TCU leads 48-40-8. Basketball - SMU leads 109-89. 

After visiting your board for awhile now, there are many posters on here who seem to really hate SMU for whatever reason, and I'm not asking why as I've read the many stereotypes posted about SMU over and over. Honestly, before visiting this board I had no clue there was any animosity between the school's fans. Most of my SMU friends I stay in contact with love Denton and have nothing bad to say about UNT. Also, the UNT people I know and work with have never once mentioned that they dislike SMU in anyway. I'm not trying to change your opinion of SMU because I know I'm not going to but I have no idea where all the hate comes from, and we have never blackballed you from a conference since I've been at SMU (mid-2000s). That's a myth.

It's based on years upon years of college football insecurity.

Isnt that what makes rivals great? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I don't think you can tell someone you're their rival and suddenly it is true. I'm not sure if you are joking about UNT being SMU's biggest rival, or not? But what do you base that on, seriously? If you asked any SMU fan (current student, young alum, old alum) who are SMU's rivals, I don't think anyone would say UNT. And that is nothing against UNT. It's just that we have never been in the same conference and we've rarely played each other. If I had to name SMU's top 5 rivals they would be TCU, UH, Baylor, Rice and maybe Texas Tech since we have continued to play them post SWC.

TCU has moved on and they are doing well but we continue to play them every year in most sports and just as important is the schools are very similar - private, compete for the same students, similar student bodies, 40 miles apart and we were in a conference together for over 80 years. Also, despite the recent success of TCU football the all-time records in football and basketball are still close. Football - TCU leads 48-40-8. Basketball - SMU leads 109-89. 

After visiting your board for awhile now, there are many posters on here who seem to really hate SMU for whatever reason, and I'm not asking why as I've read the many stereotypes posted about SMU over and over. Honestly, before visiting this board I had no clue there was any animosity between the school's fans. Most of my SMU friends I stay in contact with love Denton and have nothing bad to say about UNT. Also, the UNT people I know and work with have never once mentioned that they dislike SMU in anyway. I'm not trying to change your opinion of SMU because I know I'm not going to but I have no idea where all the hate comes from, and we have never blackballed you from a conference since I've been at SMU (mid-2000s). That's a myth.

None of those schools, except maybe TCU because you all play for a cooking implement, considers SMU their rival...none.  So, your first sentence fits here too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Poll will give you a good answer on where most stand.

Where the 100 or so lost ardent fans on a fan board stand. Let's be honest, here.

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

None of those schools, except maybe TCU because you all play for a cooking implement, considers SMU their rival...none.  So, your first sentence fits here too.

I'm confused. Are you now saying they aren't our rival? 

• Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Where the 100 or so lost ardent fans on a fan board stand. Let's be honest, here.

I'm confused. Are you now saying they aren't our rival? 

No.  I was talking about the schools I placed in bold.  Pretty clear if you read it.

35 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

Might want to see what your head coach thinks.  Oh wait, here you go. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No.  I was talking about the schools I placed in bold.  Pretty clear if you read it.

Might want to see what your head coach thinks.  Oh wait, here you go. 

What do you think Morris is gong to say when asked that by a reporter? No, I don't think of them as a rival. It's just another game. No way, we are looking forward to next week against Baylor. Of course not. He would've had the same response if asked that about Texas St or UTEP. It's game week and he's got to get his team fired up. Hell, June Jones used to call everyone a rival.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You honestly don't think UH considers us a rival?? We go head-to-head with them for almost every recruit in football and lately basketball. And you don't think Rice considers us a rival?? With UH and Rice we have conference history, recruiting history and a long history of competing on the field and court but they are not our rivals. With UNT we have never been in the same conference. We've rarely played you in football, very rarely played you in hoops and we don't recruit many of the same kids but that is a rivalry?? Okay.  

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Downvote 2

Sweet.  Jebus.

I am getting really tired of every thread turning into a personal pissing match.   Here a good rule of thumb:   If you find yourself talking about another poster or yourself, even if you just refer to the other in a vague group reference, don't post it.

I am trying to be fair here.  Stop it or get vacations from the board.    If you feel this post is talking about you, it probably is.  

30 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

What do you think Morris is gong to say when asked that by a reporter? No, I don't think of them as a rival. It's just another game. No way, we are looking forward to next week against Baylor. Of course not. He would've had the same response if asked that about Texas St or UTEP. It's game week and he's got to get his team fired up. Hell, June Jones used to call everyone a rival.

You honestly don't think UH considers us a rival?? We go head-to-head with them for almost every recruit in football and lately basketball. And you don't think Rice considers us a rival?? With UH and Rice we have conference history, recruiting history and a long history of competing on the field and court but they are not our rivals. With UNT we have never been in the same conference. We've rarely played you in football, very rarely played you in hoops and we don't recruit many of the same kids but that is a rivalry?? Okay.  

Uh huh. Oooook. 

Smug and UNT often recruit the same football players. How could you not know this. And when was the last time smug played UH or Rice in anything? 

45 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I hate to let facts get in the way of a good story but SMU has played North Texas 35 times while only playing UH 31 times. Now Rice, yea, you've played them 90 times so I get that. Just remember, Rice is in the same conference as UNT.

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Uh huh. Oooook. 

Smug and UNT often recruit the same football players. How could you not know this. And when was the last time smug played UH or Rice in anything? 

UNT and SMU may offer some of the same players but how often does it come down to SMU and UNT in the recruit's final group? Pretty sure that is rare. With SMU and Houston it is almost every recruit. And I can't ever remember SMU and UNT after the same hoops recruit. Lately our biggest competition on hoops recruiting has been OU and TCU.

When was the last time SMU played UH in anything? Last year, and the year before, and the year before........you play the schools in your conference. Same goes for Rice before we left C-USA three years ago.

7 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

UNT and SMU may offer some of the same players but how often does it come down to SMU and UNT in the recruit's final group? Pretty sure that is rare. With SMU and Houston it is almost every recruit. And I can't ever remember SMU and UNT after the same hoops recruit. Lately our biggest competition on hoops recruiting has been OU and TCU.

When was the last time SMU played UH in anything? Last year, and the year before, and the year before........you play the schools in your conference. Same goes for Rice before we left C-USA three years ago.

Yeah, UH was a blunder question. But to note, smug and UNT have many of players in their final 3. Truat me I know, we lose many of those recruiting battles. But I have a feeling that might be changing in the very near future. 

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, UH was a blunder question. But to note, smug and UNT have many of players in their final 3. Truat me I know, we lose many of those recruiting battles. But I have a feeling that might be changing in the very near future. 

It could change. I think Littrell was a good hire. Time will tell. One thing SMU and UNT do have in common is there is nowhere to go but up in football.

• Downvote 1

@MJavierSMU the frequency is actually increasing, especially now that we have a coach who actually goes and does his job.  

Look.  I get it.  The minute you admit that we have something here as rivals, you're no longer the storied program that won a national championship that carries the same legitimacy that TAMU's has.  There's contempt.  You guys look at us like we're the trashy school that anyone can get into and we'll be pumping gas into your car upon graduation.  We look at you as the school that has, well, "Save SMU sailing" on your BBS board (sell some old topsiders and move on- or does Muffy plan to give those away when she's "summering" in the hamptons to that poor family that does the dishes?)  

TCU has outgrown you, and come on, Baylor? They're going to go down in history as the only school that covered up murder and serial rape to save their athletic program.  Really want them as your big game? And, Houston is moving on to the Big XII probably.  You're all alone.  Saddle up, SMU.  Let's hate each other and put it on t-shirts. 

While I'll agree that you need to embrace your anger and the hate keeps you warm, change will do you good. Acknowledge what everyone else sees.  BTW, the last time NCAA Football was released, it had us as rivals.  So, i think that pretty much settles it. 

• Upvote 3

It's hard to pick out a current fierce one because UNT has sported a disappointing team for the majority of the past decade. Plus, I'm only a junior. Besides being our own rival as many have smartly suggested, I already have so much hate in my body for SMU. Like, I don't drink so I leased my liver out to my hatred of SMU so I could have more energy to hate SMU. Besides the Pony Express, I think UNT/UTSA will develop into a good rivalry over the next few years, especially since there was significance in 2 of the 3 games played that would factor into motivation for the next years' match ups: 2013 when UTSA cost UNT a championship game berth, and 2015 when UTSA had to swallow being UNT's only victory.

We have not had a rival since East Teas State way back in the thirties and forties. We tried to have Memphis and Tulsa as rivals in the old MVC,  but it didn't work. We have a chance at rivalries now if we can  just do it. Good attendance at in`state contests will certainly help. This week`end is a good place to start so get to town early and be in your seats for the kickoff.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

Good post. I do think you guys are in the same boat with us these days as far as being ouutside the P5 world.  Both our programs aren't doing really well these days in football. Arguing who's more prominent is a bit much. Both programs have destroyed themselves from the inside out. UNT through straight up neglect by the university and SMU debacle back in the 80s that it has never recovered from. I think its a good thing that our schools our playing each other. I really enjoyed the game at SMU last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Good post. I do think you guys are in the same boat with us these days as far as being ouutside the P5 world.  Both our programs aren't doing really well these days in football. Arguing who's more prominent is a bit much. Both programs have destroyed themselves from the inside out. UNT through straight up neglect by the university and SMU debacle back in the 80s that it has never recovered from. I think its a good thing that our schools our playing each other. I really enjoyed the game at SMU last year.

You would enjoy the game, at that shitty toilet bowl they call a stadium, dry businesses around campus, and that bullshit they call "boulevarding." 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

53 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You would enjoy the game, at that shitty toilet bowl they call a stadium, dry businesses around campus, and that bullshit they call "boulevarding." 

Wow. Do you also hate children, puppies, and old people too? What the hell was so bad about that game other than we lost? Their fans were nice, there was a good turn out for both sides, President Bush tossed the coin, weather was great, football was back, and the beer flowed like wine. I had a great time with a bunch of my friends watching my team play. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

SMU is the one living in denial?...

Yes, but I really don't care if they believe it.

This has the same tone of the "Houston will never be anything and sucks just like we do" posts. At least SMU is trying to be better and get back to where they once were, and they are light years ahead of UNT in that regard.

North Texas is trying to better our program too. Mac was fired. RV is gone. SMU won 1 more game then North Texas last season. That is not light years in my book.

They consider TCU their rival. That is the metroplex game they focus on and their fans come out for EVERY year. They don't care about the UNT game. Period. 

It won't be their focus after 2018. TCU hasn't signed on to extend the series. It's hard to have a rivalry with a team that won't schedule you.

Its desperate and sad for people to keep dreaming that this is a 2 way rivalry. Telling SMU to just embrace their suckiness so they can be on UNT's level says a lot more about UNT fans than SMU.

In the past 2 years North Texas is 5-19 and SMU is 3-21. I'd say we are on the same level, and I don't care if SMU fans believe it. The biggest difference now is that SMU loses to former C-USA teams.

I really like the way Littrell is reshaping the offense and defense. He doesn't seem to be trying to jam square pegs into round holes. I think he is designing systems that will create mismatches most C-USA programs, and SMU, will have a hard time adjusting to. I think we will have a real chance to win many of our games once this thing gets going. You should at least go see the product on the field this Saturday before you jump to the worst possible conclusions.